Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT clicks/pops  (Read 3857 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
MT clicks/pops
« on: November 09, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »
I went home and recorded some tracks w/ my rig jost for fun.  MBHO>MME>SPDIF>MT 24/48.  I got pops or little clicks in the recording.  Sounds like when you mess around with a 1/8 plug and push it in and out, tons of static.  Any ideas?  It was just a 4 min deal but it was a little concerning.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: MT clicks/pops
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 03:25:55 PM »
Have you tried the MBHOs directly in the MT, to make sure the problem is not with the MMe?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 05:15:34 PM »
Have you tried the MBHOs directly in the MT, to make sure the problem is not with the MMe?

Not only should you try the above to isolate the problem, but also run digi-in to the MT from another ADC source.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »
Didn't someone in another thread mention issues with the MMe and MT combo? Same problem I think. Then again I could just be hi and makin' it all up.  ;D
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 07:41:13 PM »
seems like there's way more probs w/ the MT currently, than there were w/ initial releases of the 722....

at this point though the 722 is solid... id say its a much better investment...

figure 400 for the MT, then figure another 4-600 in media (cards). so figure 1000ish... for double the price you get 10x more disc space, a pre, adc, and stable recording all the way up to 24/192
no need to stop a file at a 2gig limit, and restart...

i can run a whole show at 24/96, start the show before the band comes on, come back to adjust levels after they've started, and not return to (or touch) the unit till i press stop at the end of the show... no more rushing back to swap cards, hit stop, hit record, etc...

Hey sound devices, wanna hire a new salesperson? !!! :)
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ice8888

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 08:29:04 PM »
well, i think your figures are off a little... i paid $350 for the microtracker, and $100 for a 6GB microdrive... point taken on the 2GB limit/set-it-and-forget-it.

Offline potsy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 07:01:07 PM »
i have taped 4 shows with my MT, and each time there have been between 2 and 4 loud pops just randomly during the show.  all shows we between 1.5 and 2.5 hours long.  nothing hit the mic or anyhting, but it is a loud pop, almost like what it would sound like if you taped the mic with your finger.  i have been using these same mics with a sony D-8 for years and never had this problem.  anyone have any advice, it sounds like others are having the same problem.  is there anywhere i can post this issue so someone from M-Auido sees or hears about it?
Sony D8 DAT, M-Audio Microtrack 2496 w/ 4GB Kingston Elite Pro 45x CF, Core-Sound Stealth Cardiods

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 11:50:31 PM »
my issue was simply overs.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 02:06:15 AM »
seems like there's way more probs w/ the MT currently, than there were w/ initial releases of the 722....

at this point though the 722 is solid... id say its a much better investment...

figure 400 for the MT, then figure another 4-600 in media (cards). so figure 1000ish... for double the price you get 10x more disc space, a pre, adc, and stable recording all the way up to 24/192
no need to stop a file at a 2gig limit, and restart...

i can run a whole show at 24/96, start the show before the band comes on, come back to adjust levels after they've started, and not return to (or touch) the unit till i press stop at the end of the show... no more rushing back to swap cards, hit stop, hit record, etc...

Hey sound devices, wanna hire a new salesperson? !!! :)

personally, i don't think its fair to compare the two.  i remember the 722 being pushed back quite a bit, wasn't it over a year?  we heard about the mt a few months ago and here it is already.  so what if it has a few problems, its obvious that m-audio is taking measures to fix the problem.  I'm betting that in a years time, the mt will be a solid little recorder.  no, it still won't be a 722, but its not like it was ever trying.

also, you can get an mt at guitar center for $300, plus $100 for a microdrive, and maybe another $50 for batteries.  Last time I checked, the 722 was around $2400, for me, paying an extra $2000 for a hard drive that I'd only be using as a digital dump is a bit unreasonable.

comparing the 722 to the mt is like comparing sushi to a potato, but for me, the potato will do the trick.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »
the other night i had some pops and clicks on a 24/48 digi in feed from a V3, but the cable did not correctly insert into the microtrack. (the head was a little too large. i inserted it as far as i it would go, and appied some tape to keep it seated. levels worked fine so i thought i was golden

i attributed the pops and clicks to to the cable and the coax splitter that fed my microtrack and craig t's pdaudio recorder

no biggie as it was dark star orchestra  ;D

hope this is not a lingering problem
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
It was just pointed out to me last night there's a minor click/skip on my Mule show from last week...hadn't noticed it myself, but it's definitely there. I was running SXM2>MT @ 24/48 through the 1/4" in.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.163 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com