Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 and Bass distortion  (Read 6250 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: JB3 and Bass distortion
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 04:14:37 PM »
I noticed the same issue with my jb3 taping from the sbd.  The meters seemed within the boundary but there was some distortion in vocals...damn meters.  It can be hard to tell if your pushing them on the njb3. 

Elana, how about locations between the md recordings and your njb3 recordings? 

I've brickwalled before with my at853's, but once i switched to phantom power i've never had any issues.  Mics running hot (like my soundprofessional at's vs my audix mics) and that sort of thing may add to it too...

My mv-100's auto gain of 20db with my at's works just fine, but with my audix it goes to shit.  I brickwalled at a faint show and after that at a club show where they distorted once again with the mv-100!  I gave up and picked up a MP-2, but i haven't had the opportunity to really pair it up with the audix mics. 

My vote goes to upgrading those mics to phantom power. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 02:31:51 AM »

I've brickwalled before with my at853's, but once i switched to phantom power i've never had any issues.  Mics running hot (like my soundprofessional at's vs my audix mics) and that sort of thing may add to it too...

When I stealth it's usually in an arena sized or performing arts sized venue.  Actually, now that I think about it, I really never had too many problems stealthing with my MD, but my mics did get overloaded occasionally in very loud settings with non-stealth tapes.  I distinctly remember it once happening when I was running AT853 > batt box > MD and once when I was running AT853>battbox>ua5>laptop. 

I was thinking maybe there was something wrong with the batt box (rolloff settings weren't working right or something), but now I'm thinking it may be the JB3.  When I stealth I now run mics > batt box > jb3.  Should I go back to using my MD for stealthing? I hate converting MDs  :P

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 02:43:30 AM »

When I stealth it's usually in an arena sized or performing arts sized venue.  Actually, now that I think about it, I really never had too many problems stealthing with my MD, but my mics did get overloaded occasionally in very loud settings with non-stealth tapes.  I distinctly remember it once happening when I was running AT853 > batt box > MD and once when I was running AT853>battbox>ua5>laptop. 

I was thinking maybe there was something wrong with the batt box (rolloff settings weren't working right or something), but now I'm thinking it may be the JB3.  When I stealth I now run mics > batt box > jb3.  Should I go back to using my MD for stealthing? I hate converting MDs  :P

this issue has been addressed about 50 billion times in the last three years on taperssection. it's not your MD or your JB3, it's running 853s on a battery box. they need phantom to function at full capacity.
do a quick search and you'll find the in-depth answer you seek...

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 05:28:48 PM »

this issue has been addressed about 50 billion times in the last three years on taperssection. it's not your MD or your JB3, it's running 853s on a battery box. they need phantom to function at full capacity.
do a quick search and you'll find the in-depth answer you seek...

Yep.  I believe Nick Gregory converted me after i had two or three really bad tapes due to my 853's brickwalling.  After that i went to phantom power and have had no issues other than the mv100's default gain which doesn't mate well with my audix mics.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com