Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Converting Mpeg to Quicktime?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline NslMatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Converting Mpeg to Quicktime?
« on: December 01, 2005, 11:52:25 AM »
Hey everyone, well I did a DVD shoot a while back and transferred the tapes to my computer for editing. I gave the files to my friend who uses a Mac so he can do the synching with the external audio and he can't open them because he needs them in Quicktime format or something like that... are there any programs that would allow me to do this?

Offline SuperDave

• Needs to get out more...
  • Now that's a mandolin!
Re: Converting Mpeg to Quicktime?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:34:31 PM »
Discreet Cleaner, if you can get ahold of it.  It's a pro level program and is quite expensive, though.  :-\
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline NslMatt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:06 PM »
Ouch lol.. well thanks for that info... I might just have to figure out another way.

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »
Ouch lol.. well thanks for that info... I might just have to figure out another way.
Actually, I just thought of another program.  Adobe After Effects can do it too.  It's another expensive/pro program but I'm sure you  can get it if you searched around enough.

*Cough* *Hack* *Kazaa* *Ahem*  ;) 
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 03:34:47 PM »
Actually, I just thought of another program.  Adobe After Effects can do it too.  It's another expensive/pro program but I'm sure you  can get it if you searched around enough.

*Cough* *Hack* *Kazaa* *Ahem*  ;) 

What the hell?  This board is all about recommending pirated software now?  Using Kazaa (does that still exist)??

Seriously.  What the hell.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 04:00:25 PM »
Hey everyone, well I did a DVD shoot a while back and transferred the tapes to my computer for editing. I gave the files to my friend who uses a Mac so he can do the synching with the external audio and he can't open them because he needs them in Quicktime format or something like that... are there any programs that would allow me to do this?

I'm going to wager a bet your problem is even a little worse than just re-encoding because if these files are on a DVD now (with no masters available), then you're dealing with .vob files and not just MPG2 files. This is workable still, and if you don't need the audio from the video (because on a DVD the a/v are in different files usually, which makes it even more of a PITA), it's possible, but... YUK is all I can say. Not to mention that you might end up rencoding the MPEG2 files again after adding/syncing new sound, which is kind of like encoding an MP3 to another MP3 -- ouch! Also, not sure why your friend would ONLY need QT? A lot of people look at .mov and think that means QT, but really, the .mov is only a wrapper which could have QT or DV or whatever in it. Seems strange... A good NLE ought to be able to bring in and edit an MPEG2 file natively, but then again, I bet you only have the .vob files from the DVD, which will most likely need to be changed back to MPEG before you can do anything.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 04:08:20 PM »
I'm going to wager a bet your problem is even a little worse than just re-encoding because if these files are on a DVD now (with no masters available), then you're dealing with .vob files and not just MPG2 files. This is workable still, and if you don't need the audio from the video (because on a DVD the a/v are in different files usually, which makes it even more of a PITA), it's possible, but... YUK is all I can say. Not to mention that you might end up rencoding the MPEG2 files again after adding/syncing new sound, which is kind of like encoding an MP3 to another MP3 -- ouch! Also, not sure why your friend would ONLY need QT? A lot of people look at .mov and think that means QT, but really, the .mov is only a wrapper which could have QT or DV or whatever in it. Seems strange... A good NLE ought to be able to bring in and edit an MPEG2 file natively, but then again, I bet you only have the .vob files from the DVD, which will most likely need to be changed back to MPEG before you can do anything.
Ahhh, I read it as a DV shoot(thinking it was dvcam).  Didn't even see DVD.  I do know that some editors aren't MPEG compatible.  I know on the Avid system that I work on, I can't import MPEG's.

What the hell?  This board is all about recommending pirated software now?  Using Kazaa (does that still exist)??
Seriously.  What the hell.
Um, to be honest, I actually don't know if Kazaa still exists.  Is this board really "All About" pirate software?  I haven't noticed it in any other threads and if your referring to what I said then you need to realize it was in jest(posted after he said he didn't wanna spend the money).  Sorry to offend.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:16:54 PM by SuperDave »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 04:19:32 PM »
Kazaa? Heh... BT is your friend...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 04:26:48 PM »
Kazaa? Heh... BT is your friend...
Are you recommending BT to download pirate software?  What the hell?  ::)

Just joking. Tainted, are you a video editor or something of that nature?  I've noticed you respond to alot of questions referring to Vid stuff.  I'm an Video Editor/Producer for a small company that deals mostly with psychiatry vids and things like that.  It's always nice to meet someone else in the business.  :)   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:48:28 PM by SuperDave »

Offline NslMatt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 09:03:09 AM »
Ok here is the deal. I didn't use a DVD cam. I used a Hi8 camera and transferred the video to my computer through a capture device. It saves the files as Mpeg2... I saved the files to give to him on a DVD, but they are in data format, therefore are not .vob files. I am sending the files to him because he has iMovie and he has synched external audio (.wav) to video before. I was just trying to find out if there was a program that I could convert to .mov because when he tried to open the Mpeg2 files on his computer, it was a no go. It isn't that much of a mess, but I'd rather do it this way then having to recapture it all onto his computer.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 02:53:20 AM »
Ok here is the deal. I didn't use a DVD cam. I used a Hi8 camera and transferred the video to my computer through a capture device. It saves the files as Mpeg2... I saved the files to give to him on a DVD, but they are in data format, therefore are not .vob files. I am sending the files to him because he has iMovie and he has synched external audio (.wav) to video before. I was just trying to find out if there was a program that I could convert to .mov because when he tried to open the Mpeg2 files on his computer, it was a no go. It isn't that much of a mess, but I'd rather do it this way then having to recapture it all onto his computer.

Do you have the capability of simply saving the video as raw video (possibly by playing the Hi8 tape through a digital 8mm cam)?  If so, you could probably save your friend a lot of trouble.  Working with raw video (as opposed to mpeg or mov) is much easier, especially when you're talking about synching a vid with alternate audio.

If you capture raw video, you can burn it in 18-19 minute chunks to a single DVD, so an hour of raw vid is pretty close to three DVDs.

Just a thought...

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 01:36:17 PM »
quicktime PRO should convert them
otherise if he has Final Cut Express/Pro he can skip iMovie all together

worse comes to worse you recapture and save as a .mov file--thats what iMovie uses
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 03:39:06 PM »
if your friend is simply overdubbing a new audio source, then all he needs is the original audio source from the DVDs. you can use SmartRipper (freeware) or any other of several excellent ripping programs, to rip only the audio (called stream processing). then it's simply a matter of aligning/trimming the new audio to match up with the original... assuming both audio recordings play at the same speed.

i'm not sure what tools there are for the Mac in terms of stream processing (ripping only the audio), etc. etc. but this is a simple enough procedure that would not require re-capturing the video.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 01:41:54 PM »
if your friend is simply overdubbing a new audio source, then all he needs is the original audio source from the DVDs. you can use SmartRipper (freeware) or any other of several excellent ripping programs, to rip only the audio (called stream processing). then it's simply a matter of aligning/trimming the new audio to match up with the original... assuming both audio recordings play at the same speed.

i'm not sure what tools there are for the Mac in terms of stream processing (ripping only the audio), etc. etc. but this is a simple enough procedure that would not require re-capturing the video.
he will still need quicktime pro in this case
unless he has pro the audio will not play, just the video -- little trick they do to get you to buy pro
and since he doesn't have a finished dvd, he has a data dvd he can't use a "dvd player" to open the file and get the audio from there
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com