Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode NT4 and MicroTrack phantom problem  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Zonix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Rode NT4 and MicroTrack phantom problem
« on: March 06, 2006, 03:14:15 AM »
Hello

I have tested the NT4 with my MicroTrack (with phantom ON) and it works, but unfortunately the output from the mic is much lower than when used with NT4's  internal battery and without phantom from MT. In fact the output is so low that it is almost non-useable (too much hiss). Also, when used with phantom from the MT, the red  of the NT4 is glowing no matter the position of the on/off switch (of NT4). The red led of NT4 (when used with a battery) indicates that the internal battery should be replaced, maybe also an indication of a too low phantom voltage?

According to the specs the NT4 works with 48V phantom (38-52V), 24V phantom (20-26V), or 12V phantom (10.8-13.2V), so propably the NT4 is now switching internally to the P48 standard and "sees" 30 volts too low?

The Rode support initially told me that the NT4 should work with 30 volts but this does not seem to be the case. I have since then emailed them numerous times that in fact it doesn't work,  but no reply from them. However, I do get good results with the internal battery of the NT4 and MT without phantom (for my use any way), but I'd like to use the phantom so that I wouldn't have to be switching the NT4 on and off all the time when on location.

I have been thinking that there might be a way to LOWER the 30 volts from the MT nearer to 24 volts so that NT4 would internally switch to the P24 standard. Maybe a resistor somewhere would do the trick? (I am ok with electronics).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 03:26:37 AM by Zonix »

Offline qpwoei

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Rode NT4 and MicroTrack phantom problem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 11:29:57 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you have this problem (which btw I foresaw and prompted me not to purchase the MT)

But Zonix, why should you want to use the MT phantom? The internal batt of the NT4 last ages, it is very unlikely it will die before the MT itself (?)

Offline Zonix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply qpwoei! The results I am getting are quite ok technically with the internal battery. But when the NT4 is placed inside a windshield (which I haven't bought/built yet) it might be a problem to turn NT4 on and off. I would like to think also that I would get better performance if the NT4 was powered from a higher voltage (24v versus 9v), but then again I might  be wrong :-[

In any case why on Earth didn't the M-audio engineers make the MT phantom a STANDARD 24 volts? If they were not able to produce full 48 why does it have to be a non standard value like 30 volts  >:(  But I must admit that I am quite happy with my MT otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 01:26:14 PM by Zonix »

Offline qpwoei

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 03:04:44 PM »
when the NT4 is placed inside a windshield (which I haven't bought/built yet) it might be a problem to turn NT4 on and off.

Been there, and your right: switching it on/off inside my rycote zeppelin it's a pain in the *ss. But hey, just carry a spare 9v batt with you and to hell with the installed one.
In case your planning to build a windshield, note that this mic is sooo heavy that fixing it securely in a suspension can be a hard task...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 1.572 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com