Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AT dilemma.......... AT831, AT943, AT853 wich one?  (Read 12212 times)

Offline jcrab66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: The AT dilemma.......... AT831, AT943, AT853 wich one?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 12:24:23 AM »
OK, so if I get sp-sms-4 w/ at853 element, is a regular 9V batt box with no bass rolloff sufficient? (running into a jb3)

I have this: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-1

stop with your cheap bs and get the real deal with a phantom pwr supply
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 01:38:52 AM »
I dont have money to throw around, kthx

Will it work or not, I dont feel like spending more money atm than I have to.
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 05:49:59 AM »

Work? Yes
Work well? No - take it anywhere loud and it'll overload and you'll be unhappy with the results.

I don't think there is any sonic difference between 3-wire battery box and phantom power, but hey, you guys go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 02:54:18 PM »
I'm looking into picking up a set of stealth mics - quick Q can the  853's deal with 30v from the Microtrack? I thought I saw they were 5-52v or something ... <shrug>

still debating on what to get, minimal budget though..

fur fuksakes jim, you just saw my 853's whaddaya need to know :P

hey jcrab66, i've been curious about your rig since I noticed it.
AT853RX > AT8533x > PS2 > MT24/96

why don't you just run
at853rx > at8533 > microtrack via the 1/4 trs inputs?  the microtrack will also provide the needed phantom power that the ps2 is providing.  one less box to fuck with.

Exactly what I was thinking once I saw that they can use 9-52v, I wonder if 30- -> 48v would make much of a difference in dynamic range, self noise, etc..

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 05:41:38 PM »
I'm looking into picking up a set of stealth mics - quick Q can the  853's deal with 30v from the Microtrack? I thought I saw they were 5-52v or something ... <shrug>

still debating on what to get, minimal budget though..

fur fuksakes jim, you just saw my 853's whaddaya need to know :P

hey jcrab66, i've been curious about your rig since I noticed it.
AT853RX > AT8533x > PS2 > MT24/96

why don't you just run
at853rx > at8533 > microtrack via the 1/4 trs inputs?  the microtrack will also provide the needed phantom power that the ps2 is providing.  one less box to fuck with.

Exactly what I was thinking once I saw that they can use 9-52v, I wonder if 30- -> 48v would make much of a difference in dynamic range, self noise, etc..

it doesn't matter how many volts of phantom power you are feeding the at's as long as it's = to or /\ 9 volts because in the end they are only getting ~< 9 volts to them anyways.  the phantom adapters step down the voltage to that (9) because any more than 9 will fry the mics.  the adapters need to be in the chain. 

Here is where I am confused, do you really need the step down adapters?  I'd assume it'd be ok to just plug em in to a phantom source providing 11-52v (I checked at's site on phantom spec).

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 06:47:07 PM »
here is why I was inquiring:
Operates on battery or phantom power

PHANTOM POWER REQUIREMENTS 11-52V DC, 2 mA typical

so I take it it comes with the adapters then (normally). ??

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »

tha AT853rx comes with the adapters. the "rx" means that the adapters are already attached.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 07:25:03 PM »

tha AT853rx comes with the adapters. the "rx" means that the adapters are already attached.

thx

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 09:04:59 PM »

Work? Yes
Work well? No - take it anywhere loud and it'll overload and you'll be unhappy with the results.

I don't think there is any sonic difference between 3-wire battery box and phantom power, but hey, you guys go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, maybe someone can help me understand exactly what is going on here.  I was under the impression that a normal 9V battery box was adequate for mics of this nature.  According to sp's website, with 9V of power, the CMC4's can handle up to 125db.  Arent most concerts 130db at the stacks, with the number having a rapid decrease as you move away from the stacks?  Is something more to the issue that Im missing here?

I just wanna stop fucking around and start taping shows and not worrying about it.  And whats this 3 wire batt box?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »

Work? Yes

OK, maybe someone can help me understand exactly what is going on here.  I was under the impression that a normal 9V battery box was adequate for mics of this nature.  According to sp's website, with 9V of power, the CMC4's can handle up to 125db.  Arent most concerts 130db at the stacks, with the number having a rapid decrease as you move away from the stacks?  Is something more to the issue that Im missing here?

I just wanna stop fucking around and start taping shows and not worrying about it.  And whats this 3 wire batt box?

There are two issues: 1) voltage, 2) wiring.

1) voltage, can be between 1.5 and 9V.  9V is best, although, in reality, 3 or more volts is enough.  Plug in power on minidisc only gives about 2V, not enough.  All battery boxes give 9V.  Phantom power adapters give 9V (by stepping down from 48 to 9V).

2) wiring.  Inside the mic body there is a three wire transistor called a FET ("field effect transistor).  This strengthens the *very* weak signal from the electret element.  (All condenser mics have a fet, either in the mic body, or in the capsule it self.)  Now, there are two ways to wire the FET.  Proper wiring is called "three wire", three connections (battery, mic signal, and ground).  Cheaper wiring uses "two wire", two connections (battery and mic signal share one wire, the second wire is ground).  To handle loud signals (and to sound good, period) you need a three wire configuration.

The "three wire" battery box provides 9V, and proper "three wire" connection.
The phantom adapters provide 9V (stepdown from 48V) and proper "three wire" connection.
The standard battery box provides 9V, but only "two wire" connection.
Plug in power (eg., minidisc) provides 2V and only "two wire" connection.

You want either a three wire battery box, or a phantom adapter.

Oh yeah, see Sanjay about the three wire battery box.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 09:33:27 PM »
Thank you for the clear and concise explanation

I dont think this is something that I can have done right at this moment, Id most likely have to wait a few weeks to look into it/spend more monies

Im still curious though; I have a plain ole 9V battery box that I plan on using with the CMC4 into a JB3.  Since I dont have the 3 wire mod, how negatively will this affect this rigs performance?  Is it going to overload at a much lower SPL, or will it still be able to handle 110-120db's without distorting? Is it going to sound like shit?

Id just like to know what I can expect from what I currently have now.  In due time I will make improvements to my rig, but if my recordings are going to be unacceptable without this 3 wire mod, I will def step it up and get it done quicker

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 09:44:47 PM »
Thank you for the clear and concise explanation

I dont think this is something that I can have done right at this moment, Id most likely have to wait a few weeks to look into it/spend more monies

Im still curious though; I have a plain ole 9V battery box that I plan on using with the CMC4 into a JB3.  Since I dont have the 3 wire mod, how negatively will this affect this rigs performance?  Is it going to overload at a much lower SPL, or will it still be able to handle 110-120db's without distorting? Is it going to sound like shit?

Id just like to know what I can expect from what I currently have now.  In due time I will make improvements to my rig, but if my recordings are going to be unacceptable without this 3 wire mod, I will def step it up and get it done quicker

It depends!  If you record quieter music and/or from farther back, it should sound fine.  Then again, you'll have troubles getting good levels into the NJB3.  If you record louder, or up close, you'll need the mods.

What you *really* need to do is step up to both a preamp *and* phantom or 3-wire mics.  You *will* notice a difference once you do this.

So, go ahead and use what you've got, then you'll appreciate proper sound later.  Anyway, any recording is better than no recording, so go for it.

As far as cost goes, you can learn to DIY.  I've got lots of great pulls with self made 3-wire battery boxes into line in on my MD.  (Unlike NJB3, line in has a lot of extra, and real, gain on MD.)

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 10:01:57 PM »
Oh man my wallet is mad at me now. A preamp is definetly going to have to wait

Well, I have had training on electronics, do you know of any sites or references that show what needs to be done to do a 3wire mod?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 10:24:17 PM »
Oh man my wallet is mad at me now. A preamp is definetly going to have to wait

Well, I have had training on electronics, do you know of any sites or references that show what needs to be done to do a 3wire mod?

Join the Yahoo group "micbuilders".  That should get you started (and distracted...).

Richard

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 10:34:55 PM »
awesome

thanks for your help, it is much appreciated

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com