Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava MC-012 MODs  (Read 32686 times)

Offline rreidiii

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re:Oktava MC-012 MODs
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2003, 07:44:33 PM »
Thanx!!

Offline dlantelme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2003, 04:34:33 PM »
looking forward to hearing the results of your mods
CCM4>SX-M2>UA5>M1

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2003, 12:14:06 PM »
http://www.cdipietro.com/oktava/oktava-mod.pdf

todd( dr.phoB ) got a copy and did a rescan on that article.
hosted above.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 09:35:48 AM by spoogles »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2003, 02:28:05 PM »
I just had a terrible, terrible experience with www.globalpartssupply.com!

They quoted me a price of $9.90 for (20) 2SK170-BL FET's. To be used in the Oktava mod.
When the parts came, the bill was for $218! I've bought lots of parts from lots of places. (I was a purchasing agent  for a machine shop for 6 years). But I have never been treated as bad as I was from this place.

When I got Global on the phone the woman told me she quoted $9.90 ea.! (I have the actual e-mail she sent that stated $9.90 was the total for (20) parts!) She also told me if I returned them she would charge me a 25% restocking fee which equals $49.50! The woman was beligerant and uncooperative. I suggest to anyone looking for parts... DO NOT use Global Parts Supply!

It's a good thing I used my credit card on this purchase.

So, my modded Oktava's are going to take a little longer than expected. :(

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2003, 02:59:28 PM »
chuck i would call them back immediately and ask to speak to a supervisor....don't let that bitch give you bad service, you are their customer, they quoted you a price AND YOU HAVE IT IN WRITING and now they won't honor that AND want to charge you to have it returned!  that would not fly in my book, not for one second, i would have had her boss on the line so fast her head would spin.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2003, 03:00:15 PM »
i just ordered 40 from bdent cause the minimum order was $15. so if anyone needs some i can hook u up for cost.
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2003, 03:15:53 PM »
Definately give them a call Chuck.  If you can produce the email, they have NO foot to stand on.

-Kevin

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2003, 03:17:12 PM »
screw them, you have it in writing.  You may have to send the stuff back, but they can't charge you for it.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Chuck

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2003, 03:46:16 PM »
screw them, you have it in writing.  You may have to send the stuff back, but they can't charge you for it.

Yeah... My credit card Co. is behind me. I called them. They said return the stuff with return reciept requested. If they don't refund all my $$ they will take care of it for me.

I am going to call the Better Business bureau on them though. :)
She tried to justify the $$ because of supply and demand. These parts go for $.60 at www.arrow.com. This woman is crazy if she thinks I'm going to spend $9.90 ea.!

I just hate it when stuff gets to be a hassle. You just can't trust people anymore. :(

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Chuck

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2003, 03:51:39 PM »
Yeah...
I'm also trying to track down a source for those set screws that break on the MC012's. I think hex drive would be better than the slot drive. The threads are unusual on those set screws. 60 turns per inch.

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2003, 10:27:27 PM »
ok.. i modded one of my mc012's, so i could do a comparison with the other un-modded one. maybe a bad way to do it? but here is the results:

http://philzone.routeflap.net/audio/uploads/oktava-mod

txt file will have info on it. im thinking about offering to do them for people if the demand is there :)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2003, 12:21:35 AM »
ok.. i modded one of my mc012's, so i could do a comparison with the other un-modded one. maybe a bad way to do it? but here is the results:

http://philzone.routeflap.net/audio/uploads/oktava-mod

txt file will have info on it. im thinking about offering to do them for people if the demand is there :)

i read your txt file, i see you modded the msp pair from the sound room.  you noted it, but i want to reiterate that the fmsp's from taylor do not necessarily benefit from that mod.  i would only do them on a "disposable" pair from guitar center or elsewhere that are not hand-picked and matched precisely already.
please don't take this personal, but i think that was a dumb move.  not to take away from a successful mod and your efforts in creating a test, but i must admit it seems a little futile to me.  
taylor gets his mics from the factories with the highest quality control and he himself has a high standard in picking which mics he sells, especially with the matched stereo pairs which go through rigorous testing both at the factory and again when he gets them.  i posted a thread with some of his comments in it awhile ago, you may be able to find it if you search for it.
the cheapie gc oktavas most likely came from factories with lower quality control standards.  in some cases the people on the assembly line would run out of certain parts and just grab whatever was around to complete the circuitry of the mic.  now, this isn't so much the case anymore, as i have been told that quality control has been upped in many of the factories since the flood of the low cost oktavas.  
anyways, the gc oktavas likely have inferior or incorrect components which will benefit from the mod.
check out calico's comments on this board, i think he is doing the comparison the right way.  he has a fmsp, and picked up a pair from guitar centar as well to mod.  he hand picked the gc mics and found 2 that he believed were sonically equivalent, by his ears.  he's working on this mod now and will be able to provide a test comparing the sound room fmsp's, the un-modded gc oktavas, and then the modded ones.  i think this test will yield the best results especially with 2 controls to compare the mod to.
 :twocents:
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2003, 08:40:03 AM »
yes, i know how he picks his mics, i mentioned that in my txt file that he tosses a very high percentage, etc etc.  I personally dont think this was a 'dumb idea' to modify a sound-room pair.  its still getting some of the vital parts upgraded, and its not like its a hard modification to perform anyway.  in addition, i know someone else who has a msp from sound-room that doesnt have identical parts in both and one of them has the C3 and C4 caps that leak.  i think its incorrect to assume that ALL sound-room mics dont need to be touched.  and if they are modified and dont benefeit from it, at least you  know that you have all new quality parts installed. i see only benefeit in that and no harm.  someone is actually sending me a pair from GC that badly need help, so im anxious to work on those too. i actually havent even used my mc012's in a year since i got my 4v setup, but i kept them cause they are great mics, and now they are modified with known quality parts.

i think this is a "your milage may vary" issue. but u can only improve your mics by doing a modification, not worsen them.  :)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2003, 09:37:54 AM »
yes, i know how he picks his mics, i mentioned that in my txt file that he tosses a very high percentage, etc etc.  I personally dont think this was a 'dumb idea' to modify a sound-room pair.  its still getting some of the vital parts upgraded, and its not like its a hard modification to perform anyway.  in addition, i know someone else who has a msp from sound-room that doesnt have identical parts in both and one of them has the C3 and C4 caps that leak.  i think its incorrect to assume that ALL sound-room mics dont need to be touched.  and if they are modified and dont benefeit from it, at least you  know that you have all new quality parts installed. i see only benefeit in that and no harm.  someone is actually sending me a pair from GC that badly need help, so im anxious to work on those too. i actually havent even used my mc012's in a year since i got my 4v setup, but i kept them cause they are great mics, and now they are modified with known quality parts.
i definitely see your point, and it's good that you have had some practice performing the mod so you can do it on other mics.  i just think there's more to be gained in modding the non-sound room mics... although if you found yours to have differing components, then all the more reason to do it.

i think this is a "your milage may vary" issue. but u can only improve your mics by doing a modification, not worsen them.  :)
true...unless you really botch it up good! ;) ;D
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2003, 09:38:02 AM »
I am the person who DR.Phob Speaks of with the insides totaly dif and only one has the mod done. so just because it comes from sound room means nothing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com