Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron Battery to power MOTU?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline star2fin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Dell Inspiron Battery to power MOTU?
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:15:43 AM »
Does anyone have experience using/hacking a Dell Inspiron battery as a power source?  These put out 11.1V at 5400mAH.  I've got two or three that I'm not using.  I'm thinking of using the charger from the computer to charge it (without the computer) I'll be traveling light.  Then I'll need to tap off the tabs to get the power to the MOTU ultralight.  What I'm curious is if anyone's done something like this and/or knows where to get parts and how to make the connections.

Offline wigglepuppy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Dell Inspiron Battery to power MOTU?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »
Isn't that FW bus powered? I use the Motu Traveler and that's the case with mine. I would jusrt try to extend the power to your laptop, if that's what your recording to. More info would be helpful.
-WP
Mics: DPA 2011C x 2, Audix SCX25 x 2, Sennheiser MKH8060 x 2, Sennheiser MKH8090 x 2, Schoeps CMC64 x 2, Schoeps MK8, Schoeps CMIT5u, Sennheiser MD421 x 3, MD441 x 2, ADK A51TL x 2, Crown SASSPMK2, Shure KSM32 & Audix STE8 Studio Drum Pack.
Front Ends: Presonus AudioBox iTwo, Sonosax SXM2, SD MP2, Motu Traveler.
Recorders: Edirol R44, Tascam DR680, M-Audio Microtrack, Fostex D5, Fostex CR200.

Offline star2fin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Dell Inspiron Battery to power MOTU?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:59:55 PM »
Yes the MOTU is FW powered, but it draws down the computer pretty quick.  I'm running a MacBookPro and it gets pretty toasty.  The extra batteries I have are from a Dell.  Also, the Motu can run w/o a computer going direct digital out. I'm thinking about leaving the computer at home and recording to a MT2496 or a JB3. 
What I'm curious about is if anyone has experience with these things.  They're "smart" batteries with seven electrodes.  I can only measure 5V on one of the pins.  When I plug in the power adapter into the computer there are two pins (in the computer) that measure 5V.  The computer's charger puts out 20V and the battery is rated at 11.1V.  I think some of the pins on the battery need to either have a voltage or a resistance put across to "turn on" the 11.1V, but that's only a guess.  Also, I'd like to be able to recharge these without the computer.

Any ideas?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com