Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83067 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2007, 06:59:01 PM »
one more from a little further below the falls

nice!  I like the third one.. more contrast what with the exra green in the pic..  +t!

Thanks for the feedback.  :)   I like that one too.  I wish I had more time down there today.  It was a 1.5 mile hike in and I was pressed for time, had to go meet the pops for lunch.  I'm definitly going back there again, just getting ideas today for next time.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2007, 12:35:46 AM »
I think the 20D and 30D are obsolete.

There is a major difference between the XT and the XTi.

Stay with an XTi and if you want a better full-frame body save up and get the 5D.
The 20D (discontinued) and 30D and not full-frame either.

The XTi with it's cleaning sensor is more advanced than the 20D and 30D... Canon will be coming out with a newer 30D soon. Put your money into good "L" lens and a XTi --- and then save up for a 5D or a 1D

The 20D is 3504 x 2336 (8.2 MP) 1.3 crop factor
The 30D is 3504 x 2336 (8.2 MP) 1.3 crop factor
The XTi is 3888 x 2592 (10.1 MP) 1.6 crop factor
The 5D is 4368 x 2912 (12 MP) 1.0 full frame

Well, this isn't helping my point, but it's worth noting that that 20D/30D crop factor is 1.6x not 1.3 as far as I know.

That said, there are a bunch of reasons why you might go 30D over an XTi. For starters, if you're into concert photography (low light / no flash), there are two key things the 30D has on the rebel: (1) ISO3200, and (2) a spot metering mode. In addition, the low light capability might actually be worse on the XTi because of the added pixels on the same image size.

Beyond that, you could throw in the fact that it uses a bigger and longer-lasting battery (about twice the  capacity), and if you know anything about flash, the 30D's max sync is at 1/250 whereas the XTi's is 1/200, that is a difference that matters when it comes to flash for all sorts of complicated reasons. Not to mention that the 30D has separate controls for exposure compensation and flash compensation, whereas they are combined into one adjustment on the XTi -- another absolutely key feature of a more pro camera for anyone using flash. Basically, with a 30D you can dial down the flash compension for fill flash outdoors without touching exposure compensation, with an XTi the only thing you can do is bring down your exposure compensation, which is worthless in that type of a situation (among other scenarios).

For the fast shooters out there, the 30D can do 5 frames/sec, which is 66% faster than the XTi. And, the max shutter is 1/8000 on the 30D, but only 1/4000 on the XTi. This is not only important for fast action shots, but more importantly, for using larger apertures to blur the background in outdoor lighting or other bright environments.

And lastly, the 30D has a few useability form factor features that are improved over the rebel. First, it is bigger and more solid, it feels like a pro camera, where the XTi feels more like a plastic toy. This may not matter to some, but it'll become seriously obvious the minute you try to slap a 70-200mm lens on it. The 30D also has a sweet extra joystick on the back that can be used to pick your focus point or other things depending on custom fuctions. Seems like a small thing, but it makes a difference. And lastly, the 30D shows a bunch of info inside the viewfinder, things like speed, aperture, exposure compensation, etc. This is very, very nice cause your eye doesn't have to leave the viewfinder to change things up in the heat of battle. Now, I'm not sure maybe the XTi has the joystick and the in-eye display, but the older XT definitely did not.

Anyway, the point is, there are definitely additional features to the 30D, and the 30D is certainly not "obsolete." These features for some are simply not worth it, but for others, the combination of these additional things make the 30D much more of a "pro" camera than the XTi is. They are subtle, but they are not trivial, especially the faster sync speed, flash compensation, spot meter, 3200 ISO, faster shutter, and improved durability and ergonomics.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

stirinthesauce

« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2007, 10:33:22 PM »
Tonights sunset, looking out off the bluff high atop the cumberland plateau.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
got my camera yesterday and just started messing with it.  took random shots of the dogs.  this sequence is titled "Abbi drops the ball but is OK with it"
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

stirinthesauce

« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »
Nice pics, heath.  Love pet photos.  What did you end up getting, and XT?

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2007, 10:59:22 AM »
Yeah XT.  Figured I could save on the body so I could buy more glass from the get go.  Now I need to read the book and learn how to use everything :)

By the way, that sunset picture is sweet!!!!

I have a feeling I've been bitten by another bug ;)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

stirinthesauce

« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2007, 11:09:41 AM »
Yeah XT.  Figured I could save on the body so I could buy more glass from the get go.  Now I need to read the book and learn how to use everything :)

I loved my xt.  Sold it to my dad so I could have easy access to it in case I need a 2nd body  ;)  And yes, you have been bitten by another bug.  :P

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »

I loved my xt.  Sold it to my dad so I could have easy access to it in case I need a 2nd body  ;)  And yes, you have been bitten by another bug.  :P

Only Photography can make taping seem cheap.......

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »

Only Photography can make taping seem cheap.......

QFMFT!

Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2007, 09:55:29 PM »
Ok, here is a few i took last fall, I was going through them, starting to plan camping for this fall...I hope to post more soon.

Auditory
it's magic 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2007, 09:59:45 PM »
Very nice colors!  Nice job! 

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2007, 10:12:32 PM »
Very nice colors!  Nice job! 

thanx buff.
...that circ. polorizer on the pond shot....those colors are kinda funky to me...makes the grass look blue too...but i like it anyway...
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »
Anyone want to help me decide if I like this picture or not? :P

Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »

I figured stirinthesauce would like this one..   ;D    last night w/ kimock, kimock, and roberts walters at mexicali blues in teaneck, nj..  xti>100mm f2
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 01:38:45 PM by eric.B »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

stirinthesauce

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »

I figured stirinthesauce would like this one..   ;D

you the fucking man!  plustee  ;D

Actually, my avi is from a shitty p&s my buddy took maybe 4 years ago at a FM show.  Had it for awhile, so it has just stuck and stayed.  Very nice shot!  Whatcha shoot this with?

Glad this thread got bumped.  I'm just about ready to pull a trigger on a 10-22.  Budget wise, I'm stuck at 6bills or less.  From correspondance with others on the sigma 10-22, I think I'm gonna pass.  Considering the tokina 12-24 but no experience with their products.  The canon ef-s10-22 is probably what I'm gonna do as it fits my budget, and I prefer canon lenses.  Downside is the ef-s, but I will probably stay with a crop sensor (i shoot a 20d and probably gonna move to a 30d or 40d if budget allows).  The other downside is the plastic body on these and possible dust factor.  Any thoughts from anyone? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com