Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83432 times)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »
Glad this thread got bumped.  I'm just about ready to pull a trigger on a 10-22.  Budget wise, I'm stuck at 6bills or less.  From correspondance with others on the sigma 10-22, I think I'm gonna pass.  Considering the tokina 12-24 but no experience with their products.  The canon ef-s10-22 is probably what I'm gonna do as it fits my budget, and I prefer canon lenses.  Downside is the ef-s, but I will probably stay with a crop sensor (i shoot a 20d and probably gonna move to a 30d or 40d if budget allows).  The other downside is the plastic body on these and possible dust factor.  Any thoughts from anyone?

I can give props to the 10-22mm, allthough it is the only wide angle Ive ever used so Im a bit biased..   The construction of the lens, IMO, is great and I havent had any dust problems yet after a year of use..  The only downsides I see are:  the fact that it is an efs, which is irrelevant if you are going to stick with cropped bodies AND I believe this lens will hold it's value quite well..  and two, the fact that it is a f3.5..   No way I can use it at a show, but thats ok..  While it's not an everyday walkaround lens, if you keep it on hand you can get some wonderful shots when the timing is right..   pm me with any further Q's if you like....

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

stirinthesauce

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I wouldn't think dust would be real issue for me, but I do go on extended trips into the woods, so it will be in a not ideal enviro from time to time.  As for concert photog, my 24-70f2.8 and 70-200f2.8 cover that niche nicely.  This will mainly be used (90+% of the time) for landscapes.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:40:02 PM by eric.B »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

stirinthesauce

« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2007, 02:11:42 PM »
mmm, lunch!

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2007, 03:13:37 PM »
anybody have any thoughts on the 40D or is it still just a better idea to just go rebel XTi and save for more glass?  from the looks of things and a few reviews, it's looks like a great improvement on the 20D and 30D.

i just received a generous and most unexpected gift and i'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a DSLR.

thanks

stirinthesauce

« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »
anybody have any thoughts on the 40D or is it still just a better idea to just go rebel XTi and save for more glass?  from the looks of things and a few reviews, it's looks like a great improvement on the 20D and 30D.

i just received a generous and most unexpected gift and i'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a DSLR.

thanks

myself, I'm gonna wait for the prices to drop.  Probably go to this next year.  As for you purchasing this, I can't see you going wrong.  The 40d is a true pro camera.  I would go for this over the pro-sumer line of canon cams.  But that is me.  The xti is a mighty fine camera.

Offline Brian

« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »
yeah...i figured prices would drop after the holidays, but i'm looking to get this before the birth of my child which is in like 4 weeks or less.

need them sharp images from day 1 ;D

here's what i'm looking at right now:

new Canon 40D (comes with a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
and all the necessary accessories.

any thoughts on the lens that comes with the camera?  I assume it will be good for the just the standard indoor/outdoor shots.  or should i go for just the body which would be 200 bucks less and look for a better "all around lens"?  I want it to perform well for outdoors/nature shots/shots of my child outside, but also be good for well lit indoor photos.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »
Lens options is up to you.  I went with kit lens with my first dslr (digital rebel xt).  The lens was ok.  Images were sharp, but the focal length was not too practical nor the low light sensitivity.  I shopped around and traded lenses and such not.  I then sold the body to my dad and bought a virtually new 20d (around 1k in actuations).  I've sense traded all my lenses in and running with a canon 70-200L f2.8 (A fricking beast to haul around but if you don't mind weight, it is worth it), a sigma 24-70 f2.8 ex dg (pretty hefty but not bad, my "walking around" lens) and a 10-22ef-s probably on the way next week.  That 28-135 I may want to pick up at some point for a daytime walking around lens as it has a little longer reach and would be great for the days where I just wanted one lens.

Sounds like your pretty well covered lens wise.  You could go another route or stay with that route.  You may want a wider lens for indoor stuff, like a 10-22 or the like, and would be great for lansdscapes.  Lenses are like mics, everyone has their opinions, on what tools to use for what situation.  You'll just have to figure that out.  I also see why getting a camera now is a priority for you.  That 40d is going to be sweet!

Offline Brian

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2007, 04:28:35 PM »
thanks for the replies!  i just re-read through this thread and those shots with the ef-s 10-22 were amazing!  might have to rearrange the budget for that ;)

thanks again!

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »
I picked up a Sigma 18-50/2.8 for my Nikon but Glass is Glass.  I really like it and it is a nice everyday lens.  maybe a bit short for some situations, but I like the speed and sharpness you get with the better quality glass.  It ran me able $400 from Amazon.  The Is kit Canon lens sounds like a good overall lens as well if you don;t mind giving up the speed.  IS can make up for camera shake but not subject movement.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2007, 01:02:03 PM »
all right folks, need some hands on experience, opinions on some glass.  I'm needing a superwide, the 10-22  from canon is what I want, but it will bleed me dry.  Plus, won't have left over change for a polarizer and uv filter.  Looking now at the tokina 12-24 and reading good reviews.  Plus, it is 200 cheaper than the canon.  Thoughts?

Nevermind.  Went ahead and bought this from bhphoto with uv filter and slim polarizer.  Shipping next day air so hopefully I can get some early fall pics on my 2 days off monday and tuesday.  Will report.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:30:59 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline Brian

« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2007, 08:54:57 AM »
just ordered the 40D and am getting the 50mm f/1.4 USM from raoulduke! should be all set by the end of next week! 

i was looking at super-wides as well.  thanks for the rec on tonika.  let us know how turns out.  wish i had some dough leftover for that canon though. 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2007, 09:29:24 AM »
just ordered the 40D and am getting the 50mm f/1.4 USM from raoulduke! should be all set by the end of next week! 

i was looking at super-wides as well.  thanks for the rec on tonika.  let us know how turns out.  wish i had some dough leftover for that canon though. 

plustee on new toys  ;D

That tokina lens I was reading reviews of on fredmiranda and on bh's site.  I have not read anything negative about it.  Build quality is supposedly top notch, color contrast and sharpness are supposed to be great.  I've even read some pros prefer it over the canon 10-22 (hard to believe as I'm a canon fluffer) but the price was right as for what I saved I was able to pick up a nice polarizer (a must for me) and a uv filter.  I get off work about 10:30am so when I get home, I should have a package arriving shortly!  Spending monday and Tuesday up and around the smokies taking shots so hopefully I'll have something decent to post.

Offline Brian

« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2007, 09:38:13 AM »
thanks, and backatcha!  i've been doing a hell of a lot of reading.  now i just need to go out and shoot! looking forward to seeing the pics with the new glass. :)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2007, 07:51:24 PM »

the 10-22mm..  not just for landscapes!   ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:39:02 PM by eric.B »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com