Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 82195 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 08:18:52 PM »
I need A LOT more practice with manual focus with the thrifty fifty.  Here are the best from my first time out last night.  These three are from the University of Kentucky campus.

It's a great lens, but I haven't had much luck with it in low light either. Where were the 1st and 3rd shots taken? I like the 3rd quite a bit.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Ryan Sims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »
The first is the President's mansion on Rose St., backing up to the King Library.  The third is the Sigma Nu (I think) fraternity house or right by it, over on Rose Lane near Transylvania Park.  I like the third a lot too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:53:58 PM by Ryan Sims »
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2007, 11:04:36 PM »
well, I'm going to expand my lense collection.  Just picked up a sigma 70-300 f4-5.6.  I do a decent amount of daytime shooting and also venue shooting where I can't get close but stage lighting is excellent.  This should come in handy.  I do however love my f1.8 50 for real low light and was thinking of another fixed lens in the 80 to 120mm f2.8 range.  Any recs. on a decent lens in that category?  As much as I want to blow the wad on a fast ass zoom lens, it ain't going to happen at this point so trying to go budget route, at least for now.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 07:09:27 AM »
Let me just say that I have enjoyed that Sigma in my experience so far, good choice.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2007, 10:45:02 PM »
some pics from my local memorial day parade..   

and from the 50 1.8...

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

stirinthesauce

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2007, 09:58:19 PM »
Getting antsy for some new glass, so went out and shot a few with my kit lens (18-55 efs canon) and actually got a few decent shots.  Here are some.  The last one is the money shot.  I was extremely pleased with it.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:53 AM »
Getting antsy for some new glass, so went out and shot a few with my kit lens (18-55 efs canon) and actually got a few decent shots.  Here are some.  The last one is the money shot.  I was extremely pleased with it.

nice!   yeah the 18-55 *is* pretty sharp and not bad if it's the only lens you have..  I am torn over an over again as to what to get in terms of a longer lens..  one day its a zoom, the next a fixed, the day after that both!   hehe..  I do think that the 135mm f2L is in my future though, and maybe a cheaper zoom for good light conditions..   
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »
Those first two pictures are outstanding Eric!

stirinthesauce

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »

nice!   yeah the 18-55 *is* pretty sharp and not bad if it's the only lens you have..  I am torn over an over again as to what to get in terms of a longer lens..  one day its a zoom, the next a fixed, the day after that both!   hehe..  I do think that the 135mm f2L is in my future though, and maybe a cheaper zoom for good light conditions..  

Well, I got a 50 f/1.8, and a sigma 70-200 f/4-5.6 on the way (my daytime lens).  Hoping to pick up a sigma 24-70 f/2.8 real soon and then hopefuly a canon 85mm f/1.8.  I would also LOVE that 135 f2 but that is outside my budget for the time being.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:10:42 AM by stirinthesauce »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2007, 11:19:54 AM »
I do think that the 135mm f2L is in my future though...

I shot my avatar with that lens. Larger version here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baytaper/474128303/in/set-72157600136542729/

Here's another one with that lens in a SUPER dark environment without flash:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baytaper/385761508/in/set-72157594528233418/

It's outstanding, and worth every penny. Most of my more "close ups" shots on flickr are with that lens.

If you're on more of a budget and looking for fast glass that's just a little longer than the 50mm, the 85mm f1.8 is unbelieveable at $350 -- it's like L glass, and remains my favorite portrait lens despite some of the expensive alternatives I carry around with me. And at 85mm plus crop, it's more like a 135 or so.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »
Those first two pictures are outstanding Eric!

thanks!

I do think that the 135mm f2L is in my future though...

I shot my avatar with that lens. Larger version here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baytaper/474128303/in/set-72157600136542729/

Here's another one with that lens in a SUPER dark environment without flash:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baytaper/385761508/in/set-72157594528233418/

It's outstanding, and worth every penny. Most of my more "close ups" shots on flickr are with that lens.

If you're on more of a budget and looking for fast glass that's just a little longer than the 50mm, the 85mm f1.8 is unbelieveable at $350 -- it's like L glass, and remains my favorite portrait lens despite some of the expensive alternatives I carry around with me. And at 85mm plus crop, it's more like a 135 or so.

and.. thanks for the links!  nice!

Online BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2007, 11:23:49 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this lens?  Sigma APO 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG OS I am looking for a lens to shoot birds with, as well as some outdoor daytime ( I am not sure how this will do in lowlight) sporting events.  I have read good things about the Optical Stablization on this peice, but haven't read alot of reviews on it yet.  I have a line on this lens used for 800$...so i am really thinking about it.

anythoughts on how it would do in lowlight?  I am guessing not that great.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2007, 12:06:53 PM »
anythoughts on how it would do in lowlight?  I am guessing not that great.

If you're shooting from the taping section at an outdoor daytime show, this lens probably wouldn't be too bad, but in the dark, its gonna be hard to get a decent shot because its just not fast enough.  The F/4.5 will only be at the 80mm end and will grow to f/5.6 at the 400mm end...for concert shooting I'd say you'll need at least a 2.8

Also, I forget the rule, but its something like if you're at 400mm you'll need to shoot at least 1/400 to get a steady shot...something like that, I can't remember exactly.  But trying to shoot at 1/400 at 5.6 in a dark room is next to impossible.

For daytime it probably wouldn't be too bad, but I know lots of pros stay away from those types of lenses as they get real soft on the ends because the lens can't be zoomed that much and still stay sharp.  Thats why lots of people uses prime lenses over 200mm because its the easiest/cheapest way to get a fast sharp lens.  Still, for an amateur just wanting to get out and play a little with a zoom lens, I bet that it'd be a great lens for that and the price seems good.  I know I paid $1250 for my Canon 70-200mm 2.8L

Another good alternative would be the Canon 70-200mm 4.0L - still not a great lowlight lens, but its canon pro glass, its sharp, and the zoom would still be great for outdoor shooting and its only $400-$600.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Online BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »
thanx ed,
however, concert shooting isn't my main concern with this...its mostly birds and sports, possibly some elk(they are SOO far away!)

I wish i could afford a great lens with good distance...they are so frackin expensive!  :-[  however...i have also thought about getting two...
the 70-200 f2.8 and a LONG prime if i could find a good price..having never shot with prime...i am worried about framing the pictures correctly, esp in sports when the action moves closer and farther away throughout the game...ugg..so much to learn..so much to spend, with so little time and NO money
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »
if you're using the rebel, remember the crop factor 200x1.6 = 320mm.  I don't know if the sigma factors in the crop or not, so you still might want to look at the 70-200mm F4L - I'd imagine it'd be cheaper and sharper than the sigma and you'd only be giving up 80mm.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com