Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83079 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2007, 01:54:05 PM »
right.... well I'll just get you to sell me yours so you can upgrade.

actually this has been good for my taping hobby. I made the camera lens to mic capsule analogy yesterday and I think she finally understands why I want to buy more caps for my mics. ;D

:coolguy:

That's the way to explain it  ;D

stirinthesauce

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40:03 PM »
here is one i liked from today.  About a 3 second exposure with a flimsy table top tripod.  Time to buy a real tripod.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2007, 12:13:31 AM »
here is one i liked from today.  About a 3 second exposure with a flimsy table top tripod.  Time to buy a real tripod.

very nice shot buff!!

i need to post some pics...im so lazy
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2007, 12:24:37 AM »

very nice shot buff!!

Thanks  :)  I just finished a 3 day photography workshop with Jeffrey Reynolds.  He trained under Minor White and Ansel Adams and has worked as a large format photographer for 40 years.  He teaches workshops on standard and digital photography and invented Contrast Contour Colorimetry in 2005.  Needless to say, I learned alot and need to take it to the field and practice, practice, practice what I learned before I forget it.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2007, 06:21:58 AM »
awesome picture jon.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »
awesome picture jon.

QFT!

(I love this thread.)
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2007, 08:52:03 AM »

very nice shot buff!!

Thanks  :)  I just finished a 3 day photography workshop with Jeffrey Reynolds.  He trained under Minor White and Ansel Adams and has worked as a large format photographer for 40 years.  He teaches workshops on standard and digital photography and invented Contrast Contour Colorimetry in 2005.  Needless to say, I learned alot and need to take it to the field and practice, practice, practice what I learned before I forget it.

where was the workshop?  is it somehting he does alot, or kind of a one time opp thing?
Auditory
it's magic 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »

very nice shot buff!!

where was the workshop?  is it somehting he does alot, or kind of a one time opp thing?

He does them time to time in different parts of the country.  He is also a doctor who works as a criminal pathologist.  Think CSI.  The workshop was here where I live as part of the summer program.  I live in a Chataugua and we've had a continuous summer program for the past 125 years.  He has taught some workshops here in the 80's and then this one.  I feel very fortunate as I'll probably never have a chance to participate in one of his workshops ever again.  Our workshop was small, only like 6 of us.  The workshop was intended as a intermediate level photography workshop.

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2007, 09:06:12 AM »

very nice shot buff!!

He does them time to time in different parts of the country.  He is also a doctor who works as a criminal pathologist.  Think CSI.  The workshop was here where I live as part of the summer program.  I live in a Chataugua and we've had a continuous summer program for the past 125 years.  He has taught some workshops here in the 80's and then this one.  I feel very fortunate as I'll probably never have a chance to participate in one of his workshops ever again.  Our workshop was small, only like 6 of us.  The workshop was intended as a intermediate level photography workshop.

thats awesome...as for csi....don't get me started...my wife has her MA in forensic anthropology.  weird people i tell you, weird!!! She loves working with remains...has worked doing autopsies in the state crime lab here in arkansas...now she is a stay at home mom  :'(  [/hijack]
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2007, 12:00:56 PM »
I am a professional photographer...

I use a Canon Rebel XTi for concerts... the camera at 1600 ISO is plenty fast enough with the right lens.
The XTi shoots 10 meg RAW files, which are good for 11x17 posters.
The CMOS chip in the XTi is now self-cleaning.
The 1.6x is smaller image area than a "full-frame" 1.0x camera. That means the image is slightly cropped, so you just adjust your picture framing when shooting. To get a full-frame camera, you jump up to the $3K price range.
Many people say the 1.6 crop factor in the CMOS chip is a limitation. For concert photography it is actually a benefit.
The 1.6 crop factor makes your lens "longer", meaning you can zoom in closer.

read this and it will make more sense: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/crop-factor.htm

Spend you money on quality lens, the camera is not the most important part of a setup. A really good lens on a Canon Rebel will give you great shots. The Canon EOS Rebel XTi shoots very nice photos, with good color rendition, broad dynamic range and accurate automatic white balance.

Here is a picture of Warren with a Rebel XTi using a Canon 80-200mm f2.8 L lens (image is shot at 1600 ISO at f4.0 at 1/80 sec). The camera cost $600. The lens cost $1800. The quality comes from the lens... the picture you see here is at 20% of the full resolution.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:02:36 PM by dmccabe »

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2007, 01:09:07 PM »
So you don't find ISO 1600 to be too noisy?  I had issues with it on my Rebel XT, it'd be good to know the XTi was better with it.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »
So you don't find ISO 1600 to be too noisy?  I had issues with it on my Rebel XT, it'd be good to know the XTi was better with it.

great shot dmc!

Im guessing that since the xti has an updated cmos sensor, it might be a bit sharper at the high ISO's as compared to the xt.. I havent done too much high ISO concert shooting yet with my xti, so I dont know..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
+T back to you in 12.

As far as the signature, I just type that in a text box in each photo (with Photoshop) after resizing.  I know you can add a watermark, it might be in ?Filters? but I never have tried it.  So basically I'm of no help.  :P ;D

Well, I didn't even know about the text box.  I've only used photoshop for resizing.  Been on my computer for awhile.  Time to learn it.  I've taught myself all the other audio software I use, time to move on to something else.

if you're still interested in adding a watermark/sig to your pics...here's how....there might be other ways too, but doing a search for "adding watermark in photoshop" in google should get you what you need.
http://www.all-things-photography.com/add-a-watermark.html

Also, if you use Lightroom, there's an option to add your signature everytime you export your files to jpg (either that or its when you import, I can't remember, but I know all mine have my sig in the bottom left).

Also, that Tamron is a great lens, I use mine all the time for portraits, product shots, and low light shooting.  Here's some samples if anyone wants to take a look:
My Shar-pei after having eye surgery
When I assisted a calendar shoot

Nice sharp lens.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2007, 02:27:50 PM »
The XT and the XTi and totally different cameras, not really the same league. I also have a Canon 5D for full-frame shots. The 5D is $2500... that's a big jump up from the XTi. I would skip the 20D or the 30D... not really much better than the XTi.

Shooting at 1600 ISO is not really a grainy issue at all, although there is a big difference when you go down to 800 ISO. And Adobe just upgrade Lightroom to version 1.1, which allows for grain control for RAW image format. I can blow up my 10 meg RAW files to posters no problem! And with grain control, I can make them up to 30x40 and they still look great. The 10 meg RAW is awesome on the XTi. No other under $1K camera has that resolution.

For indoor convert photos, there really isn't enough light to shoot at 800 ISO. Even with a really fast lens (f2.8 ), you are still at 1/60 -1/125 sec speeds... you can't go slower than 1/60 otherwise shots will look blurry. If the players are jumping around, you need up to 1/250 secs.

So the bottom line, put all your money into quality lens first. You can upgrade to a better body later. And at $600, the XTi is a perfect starter camera within most people's budget. Just buy the body. Don't get the packaged lens. You will end up not using it and the package lens sell used on Ebay for less than $100 -- because no one wants them. Save you money and get an "L" quality pro lens and your shots will be so much better and sharper right off the start.
In the camera lens market, you really do get what you pay for. You can't get a sharp picture with a shitty lens.

Here is a shot I took at an air show about a month ago.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 02:31:56 PM by dmccabe »

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
Who is gonna buy Warren a training bra?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com