Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What does digital elph mean? (canon)  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Corbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
What does digital elph mean? (canon)
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:35:20 AM »
I'm not very knowledgeable about cameras.  My girlfriend and I have been looking at different Canon cameras but we don't know what the difference is between the digital elph cameras and the ones that aren't described as digital elph.  We were thinking of buying the Canon A630 but there is also a Canon SD630 that is a digital elph..I'm not sure which one I should get.  I'm interested in taking some photos at shows and just having a decent point and shoot for my girlfriend.  I tried google and the Canon website but I couldn't find a definition of digital elph.

Any help would be appreciated..Adam

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
Re: What does digital elph mean? (canon)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:02:03 AM »
I'm guessing Digital Elph is just thier marketing name for thier compact digital cameras. Much like the Elph compact cameras that were poplular say seven years ago when you had Celebrities hawking them. They were shown on the Red Carpet a lot.
I know we gave them as gifts to actors. (I worked in the entertainment field back then)
I just bought a compact digital camera today, a Panasonic DMC FX-01.
My first digital camera in six years, replacing a 2mp HP C618.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 12:19:35 PM »
Yep... The digital ELPH (American name) is just their line of smaller point and shoot cameras.  They have sold them for years as quality film cameras and started with the digital line 4-5 years ago.  They are very compact durable cameras that take high quality pictures.  They are a little bigger than a pack of cards.  Really the only downside is that they don't have as many manual settings as the other bigger models.  I have had the S400 for several years and love the camera.  I just sold it here because I found  out I was getting a SD800IS for XMas (woohoo image stabalization!)  One thing to note is there are two series SDXXX and SDXX.  The SDXX is a bit smaller but longer and is not rated as well as the SDXXX line.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Corbin

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »
Thanks

I was looking into 'Digital Elph' too much and I should have just realized it was a branded name.  Going to buy my new camera tomorow..Still on the fence about whether to buy a SDXXX or an AXXX so we'll see what I come home with.

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 12:26:17 PM »
Thanks

I was looking into 'Digital Elph' too much and I should have just realized it was a branded name.  Going to buy my new camera tomorow..Still on the fence about whether to buy a SDXXX or an AXXX so we'll see what I come home with.

i just got a SD630 for christmas and it is sweet. i hope i can take clear low light pictures @ concerts i attend.

Offline Corbin

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 12:54:49 PM »
I haven't really started studying how to use my new Canon but from what I've read, you have to set your ISO to the highest setting you have available, don't zoom past your optical zoom capabilities, and keep a steady hand for clear, low light pictures.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 01:07:18 PM »
I haven't really started studying how to use my new Canon but from what I've read, you have to set your ISO to the highest setting you have available, don't zoom past your optical zoom capabilities, and keep a steady hand for clear, low light pictures.

good to know +T
i haven't really had a chance to play around with it yet.
which canon did you grab?

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »
Yep, the above advise is good.  Even with it and a ELPH you will need to hold the camera really still for concert shots.  I ended up getting a gorilla pod for when I wanted to take alot of zoomed in or dark shots.  They are very small and compact and can attach to about anything.

http://www.amazon.com/s/102-2728946-4604142?ie=UTF8&tag2=musicso0b2002-20&keywords=gorillapod&search-type=ss&index=photo

I've started playing with the SD800IS over the last few days and really like it.  They have made alot of improvements since the S400 that I just sold.  I won't get a chance to test out the camera at a show for at least a few weeks but the image stabilization has worked really well so far in other situations.  All the wide screen images are pretty cool.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »
Yep, the above advise is good.  Even with it and a ELPH you will need to hold the camera really still for concert shots.  I ended up getting a gorilla pod for when I wanted to take alot of zoomed in or dark shots.  They are very small and compact and can attach to about anything.

http://www.amazon.com/s/102-2728946-4604142?ie=UTF8&tag2=musicso0b2002-20&keywords=gorillapod&search-type=ss&index=photo

I've started playing with the SD800IS over the last few days and really like it.  They have made alot of improvements since the S400 that I just sold.  I won't get a chance to test out the camera at a show for at least a few weeks but the image stabilization has worked really well so far in other situations.  All the wide screen images are pretty cool.

cool, thanks for the info +t
i am really just a point and shoot kind of person but i'm definitely excited about this new camera. it's the nicest one i've ever owned. from your experience, can you get away with NOT using the flash for certain certain concert photos if the stage is pretty well lit..if that makes sense  ;D

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 07:42:39 PM »
The flash on any small camera usually only reaches maybe 8-10 feet so you should never really need to use the flash when taking concert photos.  Besides it usually pisses off the band so it's probably best to leave it off anyway.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »
Besides it usually pisses off the band so it's probably best to leave it off anyway.

my reason for asking  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com