Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Is your MT able to take an unattenuated consumer level (-10dB) line siganl into its 1/4" TRS inputs?

Yep - I've posted my unit's serial number below
5 (71.4%)
nope - I've posted my unit's serial number below
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Can your Microtrack take a consumer level line signal?  (Read 6124 times)

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Can your Microtrack take a consumer level line signal?
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:21:58 PM »
As per discussion here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,62323.45.html

When using the 1/4" TRS inputs, it would seem that some Microtracks are unable to cope with a consumer line level signal (-10dB) while some can take up to +3.2dB.

Are some units faulty or have M-Audio changed the specs at some point? Enquiring minds want to know - if you can take a moment to vote (and post your MT's serial number), I'll shower you with gratitude. Or a +T.

Just to be clear - this is the dual 1/4" TRS line-in input, firmware v1.4.5., L/M/H set to "L", 27dB boost turned off and levels set as low as they can go.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Can your Microtrack take a consumer level line signal?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:30:48 PM »
Ok - I've managed to bollocks this up already by clicking the wrong option for my own vote...

Mine won't take a consumer signal and the serial no. is 2562079008273. I think. It might also be AU02-079X1.

This is a lot harder than I anticipated. :-\
music>other stuff>ears

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 09:29:38 PM »
Thats a no for me as well. # 2452079002460
I only really use the s/pdif input though so it's not to big a deal for me.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 12:15:12 AM »
Handles unbalanced +3 dB LINE, but I put velcro across the SN label, and pulling this off obliterated the SN, so now I'll never know the number as the box seems not to have this  ???
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
Won't take it.  The source was the unbalanced consumer line level ports of a Denon 2900 playing a DVDA fed into the MT using a TRS-RCA adapter that shorts the ring and sleeve.  The clip lights are on almost constantly when a song was playing. 

fw = 1.4.5
sn = ? not on the back of my unit, just the CE mark sticker

edit: from the Denon 2900 manual, audio output = 2V rms

also tested with a Sony D5 CD player - clips lights are on alot but not as severely as with the Denon.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:15:40 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dkarDaGobert

• Taperssection Regular
  • my english sucks!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »
my #2452079001513 (AU02-079X1)
running my mt meanwhile spdif-only and canĀ“t test it

btw. whats your bootloader version? (mine is 1.04)

the sn is on the backside of the unit!
Mics: MBHO MBP603A / KA200N, Soundprofessionals CMC8-C
Preamps: Sony XLR-1, CoreSound Mic2496, SPSB8
Recorder: Sony PCM-D50, Microtrack 2496, Sony MZ-RH1

Camcorder: Panasonic HDC-HS700

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:55:35 PM »
i have only tried it once, and it worked great
i ran line out of my satellite radio into a dual 1/4 spliter cable made by kind cables
boost off

i don't have my mt around me so i can't check the serial
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:19:44 AM »
All very interesting... Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm not sure what my bootloader version is, I'll edit this post to show it when I've checked.
music>other stuff>ears

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:40:29 AM »
Mine works with consumer levels, even with near pro levels -- ie, up to +3dbu.  Sorry, don't have it in front of me to know the serial number, but I got it when it first came out, so it is probably one of the early serial numbers.

Perhaps we need more standardized testing of individual units to determine if they aren't taking consumer level inputs (ie, -10dbV, or about -7.8dbu).  At least lil Kim posted he was using it with a Denon 2900, though I couldn't find specs for its output level.  It might be consumer level, but a piece of gear as nice as this might be putting out pro levels, +4dbu, which the MT won't take.  Just saying I guess that not all "consumer" equipment necessarily puts out nominal consumer line levels.

I've tested my MT with my V3, which publishes in its manual what dbu output level is associated with which LED levels on the front.  I've used white noise to provide a consistent output level and determined that my MT will take ~+3dbu, which is more than consumer line level.  Perhaps not the best test, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. 
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »
At least lil Kim posted he was using it with a Denon 2900, though I couldn't find specs for its output level.  It might be consumer level, but a piece of gear as nice as this might be putting out pro levels, +4dbu, which the MT won't take.  Just saying I guess that not all "consumer" equipment necessarily puts out nominal consumer line levels.

I tested mine with:

-a Cambridge Audio CD5 cd player which, interestingly, claims an output of 1.1v RMS - which I think is closer to the pro level

-Sony TA-FE370 amp: 200mV (circa -10dB?)

Both clipped non-stop.
music>other stuff>ears

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »
Interesting.  The Sony amp is more indicative of a problem.  The results of the 1.1V of the CD5 is what you'd expect.  1.1V = +3.04dbu, and the the MT clips at +3.2dbu from Guy's testing, and the MT clip lights come on at -2db (ie, should come on at +1.2dbu) -- so I'd expect the MT to have its clip meters firing constantly with the CD5.

The 200mv sony amp sure looks like a problem though. ???
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline margilca

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
Yes, it can handle consumer line in level

My setup:
Sony CDP-991
Mt 1.4.5 firm - no s/n on label, only CE, bought one year ago in Italy.
Connection: Sony CDP - Pin-Jack > Jack mono (to short ring and sleeve) - MT
Settings on MT: line switch, 1/4 TRS input, no +27 db
The recording was made with record levels set to little less than the half and no
red leds ever blinked.

Thanks
Cheers

Margilca
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:30:07 PM by margilca »

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
Having just exchanged my old MT for a brand new one, I thought I would update my findings. Keep in mind this is now w/ fw 1.4.6 bl 1.05
sn: 0172079001926
I used the same setup as I did peviously: Technics SL-PD8 cd changer rca line out> 6'rca cables> rca-1/4 adaptors> MT 1/4 line in, no boost, switch set to L, & levels set to 0. I also used the same cd as before.(as well as some others)
I got no clipping at all this time. the clip lights would blink, but not constantly on like my old one.
Not sure if this is definitive or not having used different fw's, but I think it does show that my old one couldn't and my new one can w/ the same basic setup.

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 12:02:17 PM »
Not sure if this is definitive or not having used different fw's, but I think it does show that my old one couldn't and my new one can w/ the same basic setup.

Cheers for that. Very interesting... In one of the other threads were this was discussed, someone posted a response they received from M-Audio which seemed to say that this line-in issue could/would be addressed by a firmware fix.

I wonder if this is an unlisted feature of 1.4.6 or if the hardware differences mentioned previously are involved.

I've not upgraded to 1.4.6 yet - I'm not affected by any of the issues it resolves and I don't want to risk locking up my MT ahead of the weekend's recording...
music>other stuff>ears

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »

Cheers for that. Very interesting... In one of the other threads were this was discussed, someone posted a response they received from M-Audio which seemed to say that this line-in issue could/would be addressed by a firmware fix.

I wonder if this is an unlisted feature of 1.4.6 or if the hardware differences mentioned previously are involved.

I've not upgraded to 1.4.6 yet - I'm not affected by any of the issues it resolves and I don't want to risk locking up my MT ahead of the weekend's recording...

If I remember correctly, input bench tests showing ~+3.2 DB line input ability had no higher than v1.2.3, so newer firmware not likely to change this particular problem.   Unless maybe there's something in that awful v1.3.4 revision (or read something like that) caused all sorts of grief,  and might have added a broken LINE input to its other shortcomings? 

That upgrade is the ONLY one I passed on for having a bad feeling it was trouble, so can't say for sure.  However, having ALWAYS run external preamps into LINE for recording, very good chance I'd notice if the LINE input ability got affected with the other installed firmware versions that got some use.

What version are you running?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com