Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What kind of DPA is right for me?  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
What kind of DPA is right for me?
« on: May 01, 2007, 06:44:46 PM »
Hi,

Seems to me that word "novice" is avoided like the plague around here. That's why I've started this new thread.
Sorry about my lack of knowledge. Can I use a DPA mic (406x) with a regular BB and my R-09?
Do I  need a pre-amp? I usually tape loud/very loud  blues/blues-rock type music in small/medium sized clubs. Which DPA model do you guys think would do the best job in this case? It's my experience that omni mics will sound boomy when used indoors without bass-rolloff. Is this the case with DPA mics?

Thanks in advance
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: What kind of DPA is right for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:07:56 AM »
Yes.
DPA406x mics will need a battery box OR the DPA MMA6000 mic preamp to power them.  You only need the battery box if recording loud shows.  You can get a DPA battery box or one from Church Audio (board member here), Core Sound, others, or build your own.  All the options except the DPA battery box will probably require changing the termination on the mic cable from the stock DPA microdot end to a 1/8" jack or miniXLR.

The 4060 is most sensitive with the least self noise, best choice for acoustic music. 
The 4061 is less sensitive and better suited to loud amplified music, most here have these.

These DPA mics are very flat in the bass region and are omni's so they will pick up a lot of bass by their nature.  You may need to either roll off some bass afterwards or use a battery box that features a low-cut (also called a high pass) switch when recording bass heavy material.

Some prefer directional mics (cardioid or hypercardioid pattern) in small loud rooms because 1) they tend to roll-off the very low bass a bit and 2) they can cut down on the reverb and chatter of a small echoy club and bring the music 'forward' in the recording.

Novices are welcome. We all were new to this once upon a time.  Search the forum and you sould find answers for most of your questions.  That's a great, small rig capable of very good recordings in the right spot in a good sounding room.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:16:22 AM »
Hi,

Seems to me that word "novice" is avoided like the plague around here. That's why I've started this new thread.
Sorry about my lack of knowledge. Can I use a DPA mic (406x) with a regular BB and my R-09?
Do I  need a pre-amp? I usually tape loud/very loud  blues/blues-rock type music in small/medium sized clubs. Which DPA model do you guys think would do the best job in this case? It's my experience that omni mics will sound boomy when used indoors without bass-rolloff. Is this the case with DPA mics?

Thanks in advance

You can use the DPA right into the R-09 with out a battery box or a preamp.. But.. I would suggest a battery box. I would get something with a high pass filter at 100hz or so.. I dont really recommend using a Bass roll off for the 4061 mics because they are not going to distort because of low end.. Its always better to have to much and take some out on your computer when you get home then to have lopped it all off and have nothing to put back.. That's my take on it. There are many points of view on this subject. In the end you have to experiment and find what works best for you.. I would get the 4061 because it can handle the high spl.. A preamp in the future would be good if you plan on being able to record a wide range of music.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:52:08 AM »
Thanks a lot Gutbucket and Chris. Your help means a lot to me. A have another question ( and please pardon my lack of knowledge): a bb with high pass wouldn't do the same same job as a bb with bass roll-off?
I'm just asking because I already own two bb, form SP( no bass roll-off) and Microphone Madness (with bass roll-off).
Thanks again! :laugh:

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 08:57:50 AM »
Yes.
DPA406x mics will need a battery box OR the DPA MMA6000 mic preamp to power them.  You only need the battery box if recording loud shows.  You can get a DPA battery box or one from Church Audio (board member here), Core Sound, others, or build your own.  All the options except the DPA battery box will probably require changing the termination on the mic cable from the stock DPA microdot end to a 1/8" jack or miniXLR.

The 4060 is most sensitive with the least self noise, best choice for acoustic music. 
The 4061 is less sensitive and better suited to loud amplified music, most here have these.

These DPA mics are very flat in the bass region and are omni's so they will pick up a lot of bass by their nature.  You may need to either roll off some bass afterwards or use a battery box that features a low-cut (also called a high pass) switch when recording bass heavy material.

Some prefer directional mics (cardioid or hypercardioid pattern) in small loud rooms because 1) they tend to roll-off the very low bass a bit and 2) they can cut down on the reverb and chatter of a small echoy club and bring the music 'forward' in the recording.

Novices are welcome. We all were new to this once upon a time.  Search the forum and you sould find answers for most of your questions.  That's a great, small rig capable of very good recordings in the right spot in a good sounding room.

I'm aware of the omni factor in small indoor environments. I already have another mics that I use with my  R-09 (plus different bb): SP TFB-2 (omnis, which I use outside the ear with very good results) and Microphone Madness HLSC-1 (cards, of course).
It's just that I'm reading loads of good things about DPA that I'm thinking to get myself a pair of those.
Thanks

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »
Thanks a lot Gutbucket and Chris. Your help means a lot to me. A have another question ( and please pardon my lack of knowledge): a bb with high pass wouldn't do the same same job as a bb with bass roll-off?
I'm just asking because I already own two bb, form SP( no bass roll-off) and Microphone Madness (with bass roll-off).
Thanks again! :laugh:

High pass is referring to allowing the highs above a predetermined bass filtering level.
Bass rolloff refers to the amount of bass filtered below a predetermined level, and allowing the highs to pass. Both the same thing.

You'll see bass-rolloff referred to as both HPF (high pass filter) or bass-rolloff.
HPF is the common acronym.

Thanks Moke. That was my impression.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 10:25:40 AM »
You can use the DPA right into the R-09 with out a battery box or a preamp..

You sure about this Chris? That's news to me. 3VDC vs 5 OK? enough current?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:32:54 AM »

Just for the record, I'm planning to use them with a BB.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »

I have tested them with an r-09 and they worked just fine, I would however recomend a battery box but in a pinch they do work.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com