Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG c460 thoughts...  (Read 24054 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: AKG c460 thoughts...
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »
Quick question for you JWmod owners. Do your mics take a while to get levels? Mine kind of take a few seconds to get normal levels. They fluctuate for a little while and then go to normal.

How long are you talking?  I noticed it took a moment for them to come up to level, but it was a matter of seconds for the phantom to kick in & add gain.  This was consistent when running with my V3 or with my P2.  IIRC, I have the same experience when running my LSD2.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 03:28:29 PM »
Quick question for you JWmod owners. Do your mics take a while to get levels? Mine kind of take a few seconds to get normal levels. They fluctuate for a little while and then go to normal.

How long are you talking?  I noticed it took a moment for them to come up to level, but it was a matter of seconds for the phantom to kick in & add gain.  This was consistent when running with my V3 or with my P2.  IIRC, I have the same experience when running my LSD2.

It varies Matt. I can't recall how long it took with the 148 but I know it took a few seconds at least. I know With the Tascam it takes a little while and with my buddies R4 it did the same thing. Maybe I'll do a test or two tonight.

Anyone else have this with the JW's.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 03:31:22 PM »
i see the same thing Matt said above, but a matter of 1-2 seconds at most, i always assumed it was more an issue of the pre getting the power to the mics but its never been any reason of concern for me

Nick as a new jwmod owner one trick i've found to be helpful is to make sure you unpause the recorder before the 2nd set starts  ;) ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »
i always assumed it was more an issue of the pre getting the power to the mics but its never been any reason of concern for me

Exactly my thoughts/experiences.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 03:55:56 PM »
Now that you mention it, I have noticed that it takes the levels a while to come up on the P2 depending upon your startup procedure.  I find if you power up, turn on phantom, press pause & then add your gain, when you press record the levels come up much faster.  If you turn on phantom & add gain & then press record it appears the levels take longer to come up. 

This is consistent on the P2 with the LSD2 & the JW Mods.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »
nope.  they fire right up afaik.

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 05:23:16 PM »
nope.  they fire right up afaik.

:hmmm: I guess I'll check to see what they do with the 671.

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »

since one is a condenser mic and the other is a transducer mic these differences are to be expected

I think you may have your terminology confused.  Both mics are condensors.  You have dynamics and condensor microphones.  I think you are referring to the 45x series of microphones, which were electrics though still condensors.

More on the subject of condensors and electrics (and other pertinent terminology).
http://members.aol.com/mihartkopf/lexicon.htm

Desription of what a transducer is and more on mic terminology.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/studio/teaching/audio/Mics/mics.htm

Sure you knew all this already, just didn't want people getting confused.  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:56:33 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
i see the same thing Matt said above, but a matter of 1-2 seconds at most, i always assumed it was more an issue of the pre getting the power to the mics but its never been any reason of concern for me

Nick as a new jwmod owner one trick i've found to be helpful is to make sure you unpause the recorder before the 2nd set starts  ;) ;D

Now that is some funny sh*t right there  :yahoo:
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
I just got a pair of 460's with 63caps. They are pretty old and don't know how I can test them. Was thinking about sending them out to get the mod. I have only run them at home in tests. I will be taking them out in the  field this weekend. I will keep you posted.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »

since one is a condenser mic and the other is a transducer mic these differences are to be expected

I think you may have your terminology confused.  Both mics are condensors.  You have dynamics and condensor microphones.  I think you are referring to the 45x series of microphones, which were electrics though still condensors.

More on the subject of condensors and electrics (and other pertinent terminology).

Those are great sites!!  Excellent, concise info -- I just scanned them, but need to read thru them a bit more when I have more time.

As long as we're going to try to keep people from being confused though -- the AKG 451's are electret mics, not electric. :)
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

stirinthesauce

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »

Those are great sites!!  Excellent, concise info -- I just scanned them, but need to read thru them a bit more when I have more time.

As long as we're going to try to keep people from being confused though -- the AKG 451's are electret mics, not electric. :)

ahh, thanks for correcting my spelling  ;D  Your are correct!

That first site was courtesy of d_fu on this board.  He is an occassional drop in on team beyer.  Excellent info!  That other site I just stumbled upon, timne to bookmark it.  For all the info on the first link posted, go here:  http://members.aol.com/mihartkopf/

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »
I've owned stock 460's and still own my JW's. I prefered the stock 460's>V3 over the JW>V3 for all the reasons mentioned above. JW's>V3 has been hit or miss for me. I'm finding myself running JW>722 much more often these days.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
I've owned stock 460's and still own my JW's. I prefered the stock 460's>V3 over the JW>V3 for all the reasons mentioned above. JW's>V3 has been hit or miss for me. I'm finding myself running JW>722 much more often these days.

agreed! i have been only running 480>722 and def prefer that sound for most of the venues i record in, its more rounded and balanced across the spectrum IMO, I would be the jw mod sounds very similar.....
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Celac

• Taperssection Newbie
  • ...enough with the bits already,
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 10:24:51 PM »

Hey,
If the 451 are electret, how are the caps interchangeable with the c60/61 and (with thread adapters) the 460?
Celac
...can't get enough of nothing!

Did your friend consider that maybe he got a basically accurate recording of a bad P.A. system and/or a terrible-sounding performance venue? When you aim good microphones at ugly sound, the resulting recording will not be beautiful.
DSatz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com