Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: part 2 of "which shot do you prefer"  (Read 4259 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
part 2 of "which shot do you prefer"
« on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »
Comments and critques welcome.  Please just explain your reason.  Thanks!   :)

These were from late this afternoon.  Brief afternoon shower really helped darken the light up and helped to bring out the brilliant greens in the mosses and plant life. 

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: part 2 of "which shot do you prefer"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:59:37 PM »
5, easily. Your waterfalls are overexposed in all of this series, though. What were your camera settings?
Out of the game … for now?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
I'll have to work on the exposures.  Luckily I don't have far to go back and do these again.  Details for pic 5 are:  f16, 30sec exposure, ISO 100.  The others vary from f22 to f32 with between 15-30 sec exposures at iso 100

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:06:21 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing some in the 1-4 second range, should you get the opportunity. You also might want to try adding a polarizer. Nice work on making the green 'pop'.
Out of the game … for now?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:09:58 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing some in the 1-4 second range, should you get the opportunity. You also might want to try adding a polarizer. Nice work on making the green 'pop'.

A polarizer was utilized.  Opportunities abound, this area is a 5 minute drive and a 20minute hike.  I'm sure I'll be back in a week.  I'll try do a series on #5 with different exposure times. 

Online BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 12:24:58 PM »
buff, do you do any post processing at all?  I just got ps2, and I am trying to learn it..but man..its a steep curve..i need to d/l some vids or buy a book.  I took a stab at #5.  still could use some work, but this was a 2 min jobby just to see..miainly level adjustment and exposure(from matt's sugg.)

Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 01:10:14 PM »
i like #3 the best
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »
buff, do you do any post processing at all?  I just got ps2, and I am trying to learn it..but man..its a steep curve..i need to d/l some vids or buy a book.  I took a stab at #5.  still could use some work, but this was a 2 min jobby just to see..miainly level adjustment and exposure(from matt's sugg.)

I always process.  First assign white balance, then I go for my colortones and saturations.  I'm sure what I like, is either not enough or too much for others.  I do initial processing in Digital Photo Professional.  I then convert to tiff files, and export to photoshop 6.  In ps6, I zoom in and concentrate on dust specs and abnormalities and fix with the cloning tool.  I also fine tune contrast/brightness whatnot.  If the shot is not level, I will rotate until it is in 1 deg increments.  Then crop (sometimes, those above aren't).  If they are concert photos (noisy) I use noiseware for that.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 02:16:22 PM »
i like #3 the best

#4 does it for me.  The mossy rocks are amazing.  They just seem to glow in that late afternoon light when the mist is in the air.  VERY little processing on that pic.  It looks like it did to me when I was standing there.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 02:52:53 PM »
I like #5 as well.  The moss is great and I like the lines of the water across the frame.  I was trying to figure out what the foreground in #1 seems so un-sharp and I'm guessing it is the movement of the water over the long exposure.  I'd love to see some of these done as a HDR image.  You are lucky to have places like this to shoot so close by.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »
I like #5 as well.  The moss is great and I like the lines of the water across the frame.  I was trying to figure out what the foreground in #1 seems so un-sharp and I'm guessing it is the movement of the water over the long exposure.  I'd love to see some of these done as a HDR image.  You are lucky to have places like this to shoot so close by.

yeah, movement of water.  Local scenery is the only positive of living in the middle of nowhere.  I have to travel 90miles one way just to get out and tape  :P

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »
I love 0005.  Fantastic picture...

Its now my backgroudn on my PC...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stirinthesauce

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »
I love 0005.  Fantastic picture...

Its now my backgroudn on my PC...

Terry

:-[ :kiss2:  I feel honored   :)

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 01:15:56 AM »
I like #5 as well, great composition.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 01:19:52 AM »
I like 4 the best.  I really like how the green of the moss contrasts with the rest of the photo.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com