Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: zoom h2  (Read 143745 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: zoom h2
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2007, 11:23:06 AM »
I think that what Chris is trying to say is that the spectral graphs show power spectral density in a given bandwidth. That's not the same thing as noise level.  In order to know the actual noise level, you have to integrate the power spectral density over frequency.  Older analog equipment used to use an averaging filter to approximate the process of integration on the peak detected noise within the bandwidth of a swept bandpass filter.  People still talk about it as if they are using an averaging filter, but the goal really is integration of the power spectral density function to obtain the total noise power contained within the integration bandwidth.

And by the way, you have to use a loopback calibration if you wish to keep the response of your test equipment out of the measurements.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline SoulBoogieAlex

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
I need the bottom line on this one. I read all the way through to page 9 but couldn't really find how the H2 compares to the H4. I went to the store today where they tried selling me the H4 over the H2. Of course the H4 was a 130 euros more expensive. Before I shell this extra cash I need to know to things:

Is the H4 that much better that it warrants spending the extra 130 euros on?

And can a complete starting dummy like myself use the H4 without too much hassle  :P

I hope you can shed some light on this one.

Thanks.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »
I am looking for a h2 for some experiments I want to see if I can mod the built in preamp and put in an external mic jack anyone interested let me know.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »
To me, the only attraction of the H4 is its XLR mic inputs.  The H4 has relatively noisy preamps, and the recorder generates RF interference when writing to the flash memory card.  The interference is audible as clicks in your recordings. (This can be avoided by using an external power supply, but that just adds complications.)

The H2 has quieter preamps than the H4, the mics sound better to me, and it has good battery life from its two AA cells (as much as 6 hours).  The ability to record four channels is intriguing, too.  Plus the price makes the H2 a bargain.

The H2 has one issue to be aware of.  Its volume control adds volume after the sound has been digitized, not the best idea for quality recordings.  Leave the volume setting at 95 to 100 (neither adding nor reducing the volume), and use the mic sensitivity switch to control the loudness of the recording.  The medium setting seems about right for general recording.

Here are a couple of additional sources of information about the H2
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/29879

And here's a forum for owners of the H2 and H4
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15

Flintstone

Offline bensyverson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2008, 12:02:30 AM »
FYI... my experience with the H2 is detailed here:
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=10306

The biggest issue I'm running into is that the H2 seems to introduce a "whine" at 500hz intervals when using an external mic. Looking at the spectrograph, it looks like this:

Now, I should add... I'm not sure whether this is a problem with my specific unit, or the model in general. So please don't base your buying decision on this. Also, I think the 4 channel surround sound is pretty incredible -- there are no noise or "whine" issues with the built-in mics. When you consider what you'd have to carry to capture surround sound if you didn't have an H2, this thing is pretty incredible. I've been recording tons of city ambiance, carrying it around like a point and shoot camera.

If it didn't have such issues with external mics, it would be close to perfect. I wonder if Chris from Busman would consider modding it. :)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2008, 03:40:55 AM »
FYI... my experience with the H2 is detailed here:
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=10306

The biggest issue I'm running into is that the H2 seems to introduce a "whine" at 500hz intervals when using an external mic. Looking at the spectrograph, it looks like this:

Now, I should add... I'm not sure whether this is a problem with my specific unit, or the model in general. So please don't base your buying decision on this. Also, I think the 4 channel surround sound is pretty incredible -- there are no noise or "whine" issues with the built-in mics. When you consider what you'd have to carry to capture surround sound if you didn't have an H2, this thing is pretty incredible. I've been recording tons of city ambiance, carrying it around like a point and shoot camera.

If it didn't have such issues with external mics, it would be close to perfect. I wonder if Chris from Busman would consider modding it. :)

That 500hz could be a harmonic of the power supply noise..? I am going to take a really close look at one in the next few weeks. And see if I can come up with some mods for it. If I do I will publish what I did so others can do it. I am just thinking about modifying the unit so I can take the mics that are inside it and change them to a mic jack so we can use three external mic capsules but I also have to beef up the preamp so it will not overload.

Then there is the possibility of using the recorder for stealth use with three cardioid mics.. That's just me thinking out loud. I am not sure if it can be done until I see one in my hands.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SoulBoogieAlex

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2008, 02:01:45 PM »
Thanks Flintstone,

I was told at the store that the H4 has better mics and four tracks instead of two. On paper I guess this is correct. But if I understand you correctly the inbuilt mics of the H2 come out sounding better.

I'm not sure though, is it possible to link the H2 to a soundboard? Also does the H2 have phantom power like the H4?

Thanks again,

Alex

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2008, 06:52:54 PM »
bensyverson, Is the recording monitor of your H2 set to "off?"  It's described on page 79 of the manual.  Just a guess.

soulboogiealex, The H2 can provide "plug-in power," about 2.5V DC, to mics that use that form of powering.  "Phantom power," 48V DC, is not available.  If your mics need 48V, then you should get a separate battery box like the Rolls PB224.  The PB224 uses its own batteries to provide "phantom power" to mics. 

Actually, using an external battery box will produce better results from just about any recorder that is powered by two AA cells or a small rechargeable internal battery.  The battery box will make sure your mics get the power they need.

Flintstone

Offline bensyverson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2008, 10:17:18 PM »
flintstone, monitor is set to OFF (default)...

I've contacted Chris, and he seems to think this is a good candidate for modding. I'm going to make sure I can't resolve this within warranty, and if I can't, I'm sending it to him...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »
Any prospective purchaser of the H2 should be aware of the info in http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9745&start=0 - though it doesn't compare the H2 to the H4.

A Sweetwater person posted that Zoom told him the H2 mics are the same as the H4 - except you get four of them.

Chief downside of the H2 is noisy mic preamps when used with external mics.  (Line in is OK).  Built in mics seem to be routed through a different preamp and are as quiet as you would expect at the price, if not better.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »
i've been very tempted to pick one of these up for use w/its built in mics to see how it fairs.

this is a prime example of technology making thigs better and cheaper.
think about it..., 10 years ago you could be lugging around $4k in recording gear that might not sound all that much better than the sub $200 H2 flying on a mic stand on its own. Well...maybe not $4k in gear.  :-), but you catch my drift, i'm sure.

plus, the versatility of its 4 mics... and what you can do w/that. 
I wish I could find some silly eBay deals, but the NR auctions all end up so close to the BIN prices that its foolish to bid.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »
I need the bottom line on this one. I read all the way through to page 9 but couldn't really find how the H2 compares to the H4. I went to the store today where they tried selling me the H4 over the H2. Of course the H4 was a 130 euros more expensive. Before I shell this extra cash I need to know to things:

Is the H4 that much better that it warrants spending the extra 130 euros on?

And can a complete starting dummy like myself use the H4 without too much hassle  :P

I hope you can shed some light on this one.

Thanks.

I had both the H4 and the H2 for awhile, and I returned the H2 to the store.

My experience was that recording with built-in mics was noisier on the H2. And the internal mics do not sound quite as good as the H4's. I don't know why that is since they are supposed to have identical capsules. Perhaps the H4 preamp is slightly better.

Also, the external mic input on the H2 is basically unusable. That was the real deal-breaker for me.

I also got better results on the H4 than on the H2 when recording line-in, using a custom preamp and a Sony mic (ECM-979).

I like using the H4 despite its many drawbacks.

That said, if you have to shell out an additional 130 euros, why not take a look at the Sony PCM-D50? It is three or four times the quality of the H4 in build and signal path and convenience, etc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:02:29 PM by Doc Spider »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline goatfarmer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
i've been very tempted to pick one of these up for use w/its built in mics to see how it fairs.

this is a prime example of technology making thigs better and cheaper.
think about it..., 10 years ago you could be lugging around $4k in recording gear that might not sound all that much better than the sub $200 H2 flying on a mic stand on its own. Well...maybe not $4k in gear.  :-), but you catch my drift, i'm sure.

plus, the versatility of its 4 mics... and what you can do w/that. 
I wish I could find some silly eBay deals, but the NR auctions all end up so close to the BIN prices that its foolish to bid.

Nick, I noticed that we live closely to one another. I have an H2 that I'd be happy to loan you to play around with. I need it until the last week of this month but after that you're welcome to borrow it for a couple weeks. Let me if you're interested.

Best,
Doug
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »
Very nice of you Doug.
where do you live ?
I'm in Shapleigh.  out near Ross corner, to be exact.  almost in Newfield.

Offline goatfarmer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2008, 11:54:47 AM »
I'm in South Berwick, right downtown. PM me if you're interested and we can take this off line, so as not to muddy up the thread. ;)

Best,
Doug
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com