Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Easy to do editing in Adobe Audition.  (Read 1616 times)

Offline jasonw

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
Easy to do editing in Adobe Audition.
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:45:18 PM »
Looking for a few tips as to what I can do to improve my recordings overall.  I know that I should be more specific with what I am looking for but I really don't know what I am looking to do....just improve overall sound of my recordings.  What are some things that you do to improve less than stellar recordings.
Mics: Franken Naks / Cp2
Pre: BM2p+ UA-5
Recorders: Iriver

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Easy to do editing in Adobe Audition.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »
I usually leave mine as is but once in a blue moon I'll roll off the bass just a little.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:17 PM »
I sometimes use one or more of the following:

• normalization
  • compression
  • volume envelope
  • high / low pass filter
  • parametric EQ
  • a good dither plug-in

Which (one or more) of the above one uses, how, and to what degree, depends entirely on the source material.  Lots of trial and error involved, especially during the learning curve (I'm still in the early learning curve on parametric EQ).  Try to remember less is definitely more:  too much processing will make recordings sound worse, even if they might seem better initially.  I know, I've had my fair share.  Fortunately, I keep all my unedited, original masters.

Audition has an excellent Help file.  Use it, experiment, listen, repeat ad nauseum, and try to remember less is more.

Also, make sure you understand Audition's configuration and workflow.  You should perform all processing - whether the source file is 16- or 24-bit - in the 32bfp realm and leave the data in 32bfp until all edits are complete.  (Sorry, I forget the exact configuration option...but something like convert data to 32bfp when opening the file.)  For 24-bit files, I believe Audition defaults to opening the file as 32bfp, so all edits are within the 32bfp realm and remain 32bfp until you dither.  But 16-bit files depend on the configuration I noted above...and without the configuration set properly, Audition still will edit in 32bfp, but then - as part of the processing - immediately dither back to 16-bit, which you don't want to do if applying more than one edit to any one section (or all) of the file.  A bit of discussion on Audition and workflow here.

Couple threads on post-processing in general:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,53916.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81793.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88217.0.html

For specific operations, best bet is to consult Audition's Help file and/or search for the keyword (e.g. normalize, normalization, compression, etc.) in the Ask The Tapers or Computer Recording forums.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:55:21 PM »
1st thing i would do would be to sit down and really scrutinize what you don't like or what you think needs improvement on your recordings - without having specific goals or ideas of what you don't like you will likely either be spinning your wheels with misc editing or will simply make things sound worse

also on the flip side, i would find some recordings you really enjoy, either yours or others, and sit down and list what you really enjoy or what strikes you about them

could very well be limitations in your current gear or something as simple as using a different mic config / pattern etc. but you should have some idea of what you would like to accomplish or what you don't like in the sound
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline jasonw

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »
One recording I want to try and fix is The Avett Brothers show.  It seems very "quiet".  I would like to boost the sound and maybe add a little bass.....not sure if this would make it sound like I want it but I think that may be a start.  I def. understand less is more.  The only reason I feel I need to do some editing is because I intern at a local radio station and my boss wanted to play some of my recordings over the air.
Mics: Franken Naks / Cp2
Pre: BM2p+ UA-5
Recorders: Iriver

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:10:27 AM »
one additonal thing to think about is to make sure that you have quality monitors if you plan on doing any serious EQ.  Personally, I don't eq anything because I don't have any quality speakers on my computer but also what I may like someone else might not.  Anyone can adjust their bass  & treble knobs to suit their liking.

Boosting the volume is not big deal unless it is a serious boost.  Remember you are raising the music and "noise" levels when you boost in post.

As Brian said, always save your masters RAW and work from another copy.

just my 2 cents.

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com