Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the best, "RELIABLE!!", stealthable recorder  (Read 8920 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: What is the best, "RELIABLE!!", stealthable recorder
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »
Trust me the MT doesn't run hot and I have been using it since it first come out.

All of these recorders give off heat and that heat can build if they are confined. Lithium batteries are temperature sensitive and produce a variable amount of their own heat when discharging..

Lithium batteries age more quickly when exposed to heat. It is a non-issue with the r09's cheap rechargables but a concern with the mt's internal battery.

I got my MT when it first came out onto the market. While the original firmware was buggy, this has long been fixed even though the bad rap continues. I have for a few years made many flawless recordings on it and since I use this recorder almost always for stealth situations, it is simply a matter of having a system in place. For instance, where I keep the unit (usually a phone case on my belt), where the mics are (usually in croakies on my glasses), how I run it (velcroed to the phone case which opens, showing me the screen). After the initial settings, I lock the buttons, which are easy to touch by accident, but easy to touch is a big plus when you do not want to look at the unit or draw attention. I can find all the buttons without looking as the layout is easy too. It is a great recorder. Mine never runs hot, but I usually have an external battery attached (in my pocket, short wire to the unit) , so in fairness it is drawing little  or no power from the internal battery. In fact I usually have a full charge showing on the MT at the end of a show. I like the external battery, because I never have to worry about turning the deck on or off while I am at a show and in a stealth environment, that is one more thing to not worry about. Also I have a battery box that plugs right on top the unit (from Sound Professionals), and that way I use the TRS jacks but the mic plugs in through the 1/8 jack.

I have a few other ways I use the deck in less stealthy environments, but again, I have a system and while I keep tweaking things, I don't vary much from show to show and don't ever have any problems.

Most stealth recorder systems work well if the flow is planned out and refined though use.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 04:27:14 PM »
Another MT user here, with no problems at all that weren't my fault. True, the battery doesn't last as long now as it did before, but any number of external battery solutions will solve that.

For anything but a dead-quiet environment, the noise floor is perfectly acceptable (using the TRS inputs), and as noted it's very easy to set and use.

AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline ~sin213~

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 12:20:18 PM »
So what's your take on the new MT ver. 2?  What did they change/improve?
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2007, 01:07:54 PM »
It's not out yet. Maybe the end of the year ?

Supposedly they fixed the lack of seemless split at 2gig.

It still uses an internal battery and I have no idea how the analog in's are, improved or the same.
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com