Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help - First show with my Edirol R-09  (Read 4106 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Help - First show with my Edirol R-09
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
Hello everybody:

Normally, I'd do some more research but I'm going to be a little lazy (tsk tsk) and just ask as I'm heading to my first arena show tonight with my recently acquired R-09.

Also, in the past, when doing my "first show," I've always done a test show prior to it at a small venue - I just haven't had the time.

That said, I'm gonna be sitting (standing?) in the first ten rows on the floor tonight at a local Arena (18 to 20-thousand) and am trying to figure out what the right settings will be.

Obviously, I'm going to ensure the R-09 is set to 48/24 (8 GB Class 6 SDHC card should be safe for a 3+ hour set).  Likewise, my AT-943's (SP-CMC-8 mics) are ready to go with the battery box.  In the past, I've rolled off bass around 160Hz.  I'm thinking about dropping that to 69Hz (or even to 16Hz - "off") - I'm just not sure what the best result will be.

Finally, I'm just trying to get an idea of what my level on the recorder should be for a ballpark.  I'm using the SP-SB-3 battery box which is the one that uses the mini-9v (small, cylindrical type) battery.

Any help is appreciated.  Hopefully somebody can get back to me today before I leave work around 3pm.

Cheers!

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help - First show with my Edirol R-09
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »
Start with levels around 8-13 and then adjust.  Depending on the SPL's you are getting and the type of music, your gain setting is very subjective.  Better to start low and raise. Clipping is forever.

I am personally not a fan of roll off. Run flat and reduce in post is what I would do. (I have run your identical rig before)

Good luck and have fun at the gig.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:37:56 AM »
I'm sure you know this, but I would go line in on the R-09 not mic in with the BB.

Once rolling, lock the R-09 so you don't bump any of the buttons by accident.

Fresh battieries in the BB and R-09?

I would start at the 8-13 range on the R-09 like Belexes suggested.
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
+t's to 3-Fan and Belexes.  Fresh batteries in both!  Even with the mini-9v's, I usually change them before the show even though they're $2-3 a pop.  I find I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I will start around 8-10 then and go from there.  Tonight's gig is an alt-rock show so it should be pretty loud.  I brought my mini-flashlight just in case I need to see the hold/level buttons and I usually place my recorder in hold intentionally once my level is set.

Thanks again!  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline bbernardini

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:16:58 AM »
I just recorded a big arena show with SP mics (although yours are FAR superior to mine...I have the CMC-19s) and their most basic battery box. I believe I recorded the main set at a level of 16, and still had to raise the level significantly in post. From past experience, I get the feeling that anything lower than 13 will introduce unwanted noise into your recording. Mind you, I was slightly farther away than you'll be, but I still had a speaker stack pointed at me.

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
I just recorded a big arena show with SP mics (although yours are FAR superior to mine...I have the CMC-19s) and their most basic battery box. I believe I recorded the main set at a level of 16, and still had to raise the level significantly in post. From past experience, I get the feeling that anything lower than 13 will introduce unwanted noise into your recording. Mind you, I was slightly farther away than you'll be, but I still had a speaker stack pointed at me.

I'm on the one of the sides of the floors, so I'm nearer to the bass stack, etc.  I've decided to go with a roll-off starting @ 69Hz just because it will be VERY boomy otherwise.  I'm probably going to face the mics "upwards" as I'm so close.

Several people have suggested been 8-13; some other boards say over 15.  I'm gonna start around 10 and work from there simply because I would rather have low levels over "clipping" which I can't fix.

Thanks again!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 01:10:21 PM »

I'm on the one of the sides of the floors, so I'm nearer to the bass stack, etc.  I've decided to go with a roll-off starting @ 69Hz just because it will be VERY boomy otherwise.  I'm probably going to face the mics "upwards" as I'm so close.

Several people have suggested been 8-13; some other boards say over 15.  I'm gonna start around 10 and work from there simply because I would rather have low levels over "clipping" which I can't fix.

Thanks again!

You dont need a bass roll off with these mics if you add it your recordings will come out like an am radio these mics do not have super great low end to begin with. If you were running omni mics I would say yes but not with these cardioids your going to want all the low end that these mics pick up.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

adrianf74

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 07:39:11 AM »
Thanks again to everybody who replied.

Chris was right in saying to "go flat."  The results, for the Air Canada Centre IMHO, are the BEST I've ever heard.

With my input level @ 16, I was peaking around -6dB - I could've gone a little higher.  I'm just gonna boost the file in post when I get to it.

I'm listening to the show on some relatively CRAP speakers at work, and and although I was about 15-20 feet from the stage, the bass is not overpowering and the mid-high frequencies are pretty decent, too.  I think it would've sounded like an AM radio otherwise.

Thanks once again to everybody.  Arguably one of the better sounding recordings I've done to date - I'm very pleased with the results.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:07:42 AM »
+t's to 3-Fan and Belexes. 

Mmm... I think you need 50 posts to give out or take away tickets... ;) Congrats on your recording success though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:09:15 AM by su6oxone »

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
great thread, some good pointers in here for Edirol R-09HR user, with the 8's too. My first gig didn't come out too well.

Levels at 18, then BB set to 95 and think too close as well. That and a heavy bass sound meant a not too hot recording really. Shame.
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

adrianf74

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:37:38 PM »
great thread, some good pointers in here for Edirol R-09HR user, with the 8's too. My first gig didn't come out too well.

Levels at 18, then BB set to 95 and think too close as well. That and a heavy bass sound meant a not too hot recording really. Shame.

Sorry to hear the news.  A lot of the time, it's source dependent.  My venue was bassy (even some of the notes/reviews I've read saw people complaining about the bass being mixed higher than normal).  Luckily my mics, as Chris has pointed out, have a tendency to lose quite a bit of bass, so it worked out nicely. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com