Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone use Onkyo TX-NR626? Comparison to Squeezebox classic?  (Read 2710 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Anyone use Onkyo TX-NR626? Comparison to Squeezebox classic?
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
Entry-level, I know, but factory refurbs are going for 299 on Woot today. It has Wifi and a phono preamp, so I'm tempted, but reviews seem mixed.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:58:30 PM by yltfan »
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Anyone use Onkyo TX-NR626?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
Even if no one has one, I'm open to all advice. One specific question is whether or not this would be an upgrade from my Squeezebox Classic.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Anyone use Onkyo TX-NR626? Comparison to Squeezebox classic?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
I too am itching for an update to the SB, but it does its job damn well, so it is hard to beat.  I just wish Logitech hadn't taken a good thing and killed it, but hey it is what it is.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: Anyone use Onkyo TX-NR626? Comparison to Squeezebox classic?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
I too am itching for an update to the SB, but it does its job damn well, so it is hard to beat.  I just wish Logitech hadn't taken a good thing and killed it, but hey it is what it is.

The problem with the squeezebox is that it worked too well.  Seriously.  You buy one and it just goes for years.  I still have their original product, the slimp3, from 2000.  It doesn't even have a case, it's just mounted on bent plastic with the boards exposed.

The original designer and founder, Sean Adams, declared early on that the VFD display was the only option, and that they would not use LCDs because LCDs wear out fairly quickly with continuous use.  The VFD display was a very expensive part of the product - the most expensive part.   One of the first changes logitech made was to lcd, so they could get get color graphics, shorter product life to force upgrades, and lower the cost.

Many of us hoped that Logitech's mad skills in manufacturing and design, deep pockets, and stuff like that would herald a new era of cool Slim Devices products... But nope.  They destroyed the company.

In contrast, look what Roku has been able to do, after essentially copying the slim devices product.

Those squeeze boxes are still great products.  The software side is completely open and not likely to go obsolete.
And due to that openness, they have just gotten better and better with enhancements and features.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com