Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fixing shoddy 1/8” jacks  (Read 2690 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Fixing shoddy 1/8” jacks
« on: June 02, 2019, 12:30:22 AM »
The 1/8” stereo input jack and 1/8” headphone output jack on my PMD706 aren’t functioning properly. For the input, the right channel often doesn’t register when certain cables are used, though it does sometimes respond in both channels with other cables. The headphone jack, on the other hand, will only output the right channel unless I actively push the plug to establish the connection for the tip. I tried using deoxIT by spraying on a 1/8” plug and rapidly inserting and removing it and also wiggling it around, but this did not address the issue. The line output jack functions normally.

Any ideas short of taking the unit apart?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Fixing shoddy 1/8” jacks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 12:59:38 AM »

Haven't had any problems with mine - knock wood. Have you tried using more than one set of headphones?

Sounds like the problem may be cable related rather than the jacks - especially if the line input works with one cable and not the other.

The connector that Ted uses on his cables, Hosa brand and Monster brand have all proven reliable for me - some other cheapie brands the connectors just aren't reliable.

Maybe try spraying some compressed air in there. You may have a dust bunny.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com