Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring digitally from DAT deck to PC soundcard...  (Read 1820 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Transferring digitally from DAT deck to PC soundcard...
« on: December 28, 2003, 04:34:54 PM »
Ok, i really want to buy a DAT deck and get a new soundcard (i currently have a Audigy 2) so i can digitally transfer shows i tape.  I notice many decks have XLR input/outputs and spdif coaxial (whatever the hell that is!).  My understanding of the spdif connection is that it's a single mini plug compared to the XLR which appears to be a three pin male/female cable.  I'm assuming only external soundcards have XLR connections, right?  

So:

1.  What kind of soundcard should i get so i can transfer shows AND for normal day to day functions (such as gaming).

2.  The DAT decks i've been mostly looking at are the Fostex D5 or the Tascam da20 deck.  

3. What kind of cable(s) would i need purchase as well?  

4.  Where the heck can i find some info regarding XLR and spdif...i'm totally clueless to both.   :-\

5.  Budget for soundcard: ~$200 and for the deck is not really an issue, whatever i find on ebay for a solid price i'll pickup as long as the deck is in good shape.

Any comments are appreciated!   :D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Transferring digitally from DAT deck to PC soundcard...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 05:12:55 PM »
[1] Gobs and gobs of discussion about soundcards recently.  Search around a bit here and in the Ask The Tapers forum, you'll find 'em.

[2] Both are fine decks.

[3] Your soundcard will probably take a S/PDIF signal over 75-ohm coax cable with RCA connectors.  Even RS (surprisingly) makes a good 75-ohm cable like this.

[4] Check this old thread in the Archival Info section - more info than you'll ever want to know.

[5] See [1].
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com