Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with FLAC  (Read 4996 times)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Help with FLAC
« on: January 04, 2004, 03:47:41 PM »
Ok, decided to try FLAC. Got it installed ok, but it keeps erroring out in different places each time. Sometimes it will get through and encode fine. Other tracks it take me like 10-15 tries before it will stop dying saying I have a mistmatch in my audio data. Not consistent at all so I know the files are fine...what gives here? .shn never gave me issues like this.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

Re:Help with FLAC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 03:51:30 PM »
never had a problem like that with flac ever, whereas MKW will just randomly decide not to cooperate.

anyway, have you tried just uninstalling and reinstalling?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 03:58:37 PM »
you know, I should of thought of that, reinstalled, works fine now, duh!!!!! :-X
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 03:59:25 PM »
+T creek... sometimes it really is that easy.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 04:13:41 PM »
I take that back, didn't have verified selected after the reinstall, keeps dying over and over, after about 10 tries, one track will do it right ???
In Tyler we Trust

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 06:43:16 PM »
anyone?
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 06:47:02 PM »
were you having problems with shn? why the switch?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 06:50:13 PM »
never had an issue with .shn. Just wanted to try out FLAC to see what all the talk was about. Heard it was faster and compressed things better, but so far I am not impressed, but its most likely a PC problem.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 06:59:58 PM »
I'm sure you've tried changing the compression levels, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

FLAC has optimized speed/compression around level 5 or 6

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 07:15:07 PM »
Are you absolutely, positively, 100% certain the FLAC/WAV files are valid, non-corrupt?  I know it's weird that it happens at different places/times in the file, but...I've seen stranger things happen.

Also, which installer are you using?  Have you tried the installer on Mike Wren's site?

What OS?

When you deleted and re-installed, did you manually delete the FLAC s/w files (most un-install utils don't un-install very well)?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004, 07:30:39 PM »
well, .shn has no issues with these WAV's I am trying to make into FLAC files. Don't see how they could be corrupt. They play fine on discs, play fine off the HD, and where fresh DAT transfers. Win98 is the OS, did a manual uninstall. I went back to .shn, never had an issue.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 07:42:18 PM »
well, .shn has no issues with these WAV's I am trying to make into FLAC files. Don't see how they could be corrupt. They play fine on discs, play fine off the HD, and where fresh DAT transfers. Win98 is the OS, did a manual uninstall. I went back to .shn, never had an issue.

Duh, sorry, I misread - thought you were trying to decode, not encode.  Which FLAC installer are you using?  I remember having trouble with a different installer (don't recall which one), but the one hosted on Mike Wre's site worked for me flawlessly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 07:42:41 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2004, 07:43:35 PM »
I will check it out for sure, thanks
In Tyler we Trust

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 07:45:39 PM »
thats the same one I downloaded after checking, oh well, no big deal, .shn still works ;D
In Tyler we Trust

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ISO Fast Glass
    • übergeek
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 09:42:16 AM »
What kind of PC do you have?  Is it overclocked?  Most problems like this with FLAC are due to hardware corruption issues.  SHN doesn't show these issues because it is much less robust in error checking when encoding.
What I'm listening to this week:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com