Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC 4 (AT853) way too sensitive?  (Read 923 times)

Offline bmubart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SP-CMC 4 (AT853) way too sensitive?
« on: November 24, 2023, 04:09:17 AM »
Hi,

First post here: we are two Belgian tapers who learns a lot from this forum.
We used to record for years with a basic Sony microphone (because it is hard to find a decent payable microphone in Europe) but switched over to a CA-14 C and a SP-CMC 4 (AT853) (Low Sensitivity model) microphone.
The recorders used are Sony M10 and Sony D100.  For the Sony M10 the microphones are powered with a battery box SP-SPSB-10
The problem is that the AT853 is way too sensitive for the Sony M10, even when we feed it via Line-in.  When used with the Sony D100 (which doesn't need the battery box to feed the microphone) we can make very decent recordings when put in -20db mode (the switch on the left). 
The CA microphone gives very good results on both recorders.
Is there something we are missing?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: SP-CMC 4 (AT853) way too sensitive?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 09:31:50 AM »
When you run line in to the M10, what recording level are you using?

If you have the low sensitivity mod and are powering it appropriately going line-in at 1 and are still too hot, you could try using an external attenuator like this one:

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-ATEN-1/
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 09:36:52 AM »
Are you 100% sure that the AT853s have the low-sens mod? I used those exact mics with an M10 for years, and the only time I had a problem was when I ended up with a set where the mod had been done improperly.

If it's not prohibitively expensive to send the mics to Sound Professionals from Belgium, Chris Carfagno there can have the mod re-done for $50:

https://soundprofessionals.com/product/SP-4.7K-MOD/

If international shipping would make this too crazy, then DavidPuddy's suggestion of an attenuator is a good one.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 10:11:07 AM »
When you're running mic in, do you have the mic sensitivity switch on the back set on low?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline bmubart

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 07:38:51 AM »
Many thanks for the response!
When we record with line-in we have to put it to level two or even lower.  And yes the Sony M10 is put in low-sense mode (default mode because we always record loud shows).
I really have no idea how to check if it really is the low-sensitive version.  We ordered it that way but I don't know if there is a physical indication of the modification.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 08:52:10 AM »

Open the connector and see if there's a couple of resistors soldered into the pathway of the wiring before it meets the connector terminals. I'm assuming that's how SP does the mod but can't say for sure. The only pair of these I've had that had the mod (but I'm not positive it was done by SP) was done that way.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 09:51:59 AM »
If it doesn't have a fatter than usual plug to hold the extra resistors, it definitely doesn't have the mod. But I've had AT853s with fat plugs where the mod was faulty and I had to have them redone, so that's no guarantee.

Did you buy the mics from Sound Professionals originally? If so, email Chris (sales@soundprofessionals.com) and tell him the problem and see if he can help diagnose it.

Offline bmubart

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 03:14:23 AM »
If it doesn't have a fatter than usual plug to hold the extra resistors, it definitely doesn't have the mod. But I've had AT853s with fat plugs where the mod was faulty and I had to have them redone, so that's no guarantee.

Did you buy the mics from Sound Professionals originally? If so, email Chris (sales@soundprofessionals.com) and tell him the problem and see if he can help diagnose it.

As far as I can see the plug is normal one... I will contact Chris of soundprofessionals.  We bought the micro from them.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 08:34:46 AM »
As far as I can see the plug is normal one... I will contact Chris of soundprofessionals.  We bought the micro from them.

Yeah, that's suspiciously thin. (Photo of the plug on my SP-modded 853s is below.) Chris should be able to straighten this out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com