Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I transfered some DAT, how to locate diginoise & some silence in parts?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline robertmode

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hello,

Please, I am transferring some old DAT tapes for me.
My equipment : DAT TCD D8 + POC DA 12P + External sound card usb Terratec Aureon.

To control the quality, I would like to know how to locate diginoise or some silence in parts with a software program.

How fo find find them?  In Sound Forge, Tools -> Auto Region ? Which setting is required ?

Yours sincerely.
Robert.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Rip it twice, align them, invert one, output as a mix, then scan that file for any signal?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Can't you just listen to the Tapes???  That's how I do it...

CDWave allows you to place trackmarks at points depending on DBs...  Set it really low and it will point to some of the big Drop-Outs...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
IF you cannot hear a dropout, does it matter if it exists? It makes me think of what the sound of one hand clapping sounds like.

Unless you are dealing with a commercial release, or something rare, does it really matter if you delve into sounds/silences that no one will notice?
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
robertmode, search this site for full-head tape machines, like the Sony PCM-R500 (among others).

You'll probably start off with less read-errors and drop-outs if you use a better machine for the transfer.

If you have the good fortune to locate one, or borrow one for a while, you will save yourself some work.

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
I'm using a $10,000 Sony 7040 deck that weighs about 60 pounds and is a frigging tank.  I've transcribed about 200 tapes so far.  There may be errors in the tape that may require multiple transcriptions to SD card.  Just the nature of the medium, the first real digital medium.  If you only have a few, let me know and I can fit a few more into my schedule. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline robertmode

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hello,

Thank you for your help with my project.
I know already people who using Sony 7040 or Sony STD 9000 + PC who will help me just in case.
To progress in this project, i will make as well some tranferts but I still own 25 dat and my transfered DATstock.

But, I only do want to control the quality after this process carefully once and for all with a software program.

Terry
"Can't you just listen to the Tapes???  That's how I do it..."
 It's what I am doing today. But I own a lot of tapes transferred, that can be an excessively long time.

Yours sincerely.
Robert
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:29:50 AM by robertmode »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
Having transferred about 200 tapes in the last two months, I will offer this advice:

--Get the DAT Recorder Serviced.  Clean heads, new belts, etc will go a long way to avoiding issues with DATs.
--Pay Attention to the Output on the DAT.  Most are AES, so you will need a compatible input to a recorder with a DAT or a converter box to SPDIF
--Shit Happens.  About one out of 10 tapes are boogers, and require multiple passes to eliminate distortion and drop outs.  I have not experience Digi-Noise.
--Either Listen to the Tapes As They Are Being Transferred, or Do a Thorough Master.  I listen to each tape.  I would not feel comfortable relying on software.  The human ear is better engineered. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com