Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cassettes that sound warbly  (Read 2150 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Cassettes that sound warbly
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:19:47 PM »
Old cassettes from 1995 that sound wishy washy. That in and out sound. Wound too tight? I have a whole batch like this. Is the standard fix to fast forwad and rewind? Kinda like unpacking a new tape.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Cassettes that sound warbly
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
It's been awhile since I used cassettes much, but I do remember that warbly sound happening on some of my cassettes.

Almost always, it was due to the felt pressure pad glued to the metal spring coming off or being loose and about to come off. If you pull out a little of the tape from the shell, you should be able to see if the felt pad is still there.

I was able to salvage some old cassettes by gluing the pad back on. If it's missing, maybe you can take one off of another cassette you don't care about.

Here's an blog with some pictures: http://fortressaudio.blogspot.com/2009/09/repair-audio-cassette-pressure-pad.html

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »
Marking thread. I have a bunch of old cassettes I've been meaning to transfer. I recorded most of them on an old Marantz PMD201 (mono) deck I was gifted...I don't have that deck anymore and when I play them on a semi-budget home stereo deck I picked up they don't sound that great.

Hopefully our solution is the same. I will have to check out the felt pad thing.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
For sure check the pressure pads - and make sure the pinch roller/capstan is clean.

FWIW - The Sony D6 was notorious for wobbly azimuth...(not all of them - but some of them!)

Same is probably true for the D3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com