Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: soundcard for DAT transfer advice needed  (Read 8405 times)

Offline red

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
soundcard for DAT transfer advice needed
« on: March 26, 2017, 06:43:18 PM »
My m-audio audiophile 2496 has bitten the dust, just as I was getting ready to transfer from some old DAT tapes.  I have an old Conner DDS drive I'm hoping to figure out, but I'd also like another option.  Are there any good external/USB interfaces I should consider?  Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance. 

LoveBuzz81

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: soundcard for DAT transfer advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:16 AM »
My m-audio audiophile 2496 has bitten the dust, just as I was getting ready to transfer from some old DAT tapes.  I have an old Conner DDS drive I'm hoping to figure out, but I'd also like another option.  Are there any good external/USB interfaces I should consider?  Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you have a Mac you could buy the first Apogee Duet (Firewire) for under $200.  Or UA Apollo Duo.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:04:10 AM »
IMO, buy an inexpensive Recorder that does SPDIF input, and save your PC for other things...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

LoveBuzz81

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 02:35:47 AM »
IMO, buy an inexpensive Recorder that does SPDIF input, and save your PC for other things...

Terry

or you could buy an inexpensive used audio interface like the duet with top shelf converters.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »

Terry

or you could buy an inexpensive used audio interface like the duet with top shelf converters.

Why buy stuff you don't need?

If you want to do DAT transfers, an inexpensive recorder or interface with a bit perfect spdif is all you need.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I have a PC.  I have a glut of recorders, but none with spdif in.  The DATs are 32 and 48khz.  Does anyone have suggestions for a relatively inexpensive recorder or interface that would do the job?  Thanks, I really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
Microtrack 24/96. You should able to get a working unit on eBay for around $30 shipped.

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
Microtrack 24/96. You should able to get a working unit on eBay for around $30 shipped.

Thanks! 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 02:41:22 AM »
I have an old Conner DDS drive I'm hoping to figure out...

There's a Yahoo Group called datheads2wav which is all about getting the DDS drives to work to transcribe DAT's to WAV

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/datheads2wav/info

I have never tried it but the group has good instructions and I've seen folks post their thanks for positive results. The first thing to check is if your drive is the right type of drive, and with the correct firmware, as I understand it.

If you have a DAT machine with a working S/Pdif output, the cheap microtrack might be a good option [assume that you'll have to power it with a USB pack for best powering], or why not just buy a replacement MAudio2496 card? (by the way, mAudio made the microtrack!!)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:44:24 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
I have an old Conner DDS drive I'm hoping to figure out...

There's a Yahoo Group called datheads2wav which is all about getting the DDS drives to work to transcribe DAT's to WAV

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/datheads2wav/info

I have never tried it but the group has good instructions and I've seen folks post their thanks for positive results. The first thing to check is if your drive is the right type of drive, and with the correct firmware, as I understand it.

If you have a DAT machine with a working S/Pdif output, the cheap microtrack might be a good option [assume that you'll have to power it with a USB pack for best powering], or why not just buy a replacement MAudio2496 card? (by the way, mAudio made the microtrack!!)

Thanks!  I've been reading through all the info re: the DDS drive.  The person who gave it to me several years back had used it for DAT transfers, so it *should* have the correct firmware.  I just need to figure out which of my old machines has space for it, then tackle it (I'm decent with computers but this setup seems a bit daunting for some reason).

I thought about replacing the MAudio 2496 card (I really loved mine and am unsure why it just stopped working)... but it seems that either the Microtrack 24/96, or an interface of some sort, would be more versatile at this point.  I have an old Tascam DA-20mkII, which has S/Pdif output.

LoveBuzz81

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/element-24

This is a new line of products by Apogee.  optical I/O, XLR/TRS I/O...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »
There is no need to spend money on Apogee's great A>D conversion for this project...
Original poster is looking for bit-perfect digital transfers.

HAHAHA IT's SMOKENBURN!  I thought you left, FELICIA!!!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
 :facepalm:

LoveBuzz81

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 06:40:28 PM »
There is no need to spend money on Apogee's great A>D conversion for this project...
Original poster is looking for bit-perfect digital transfers.

HAHAHA IT's SMOKENBURN!  I thought you left, FELICIA!!!

It's a good option for analog or digital transfers and there may be some interest here for this as well as other uses (high quality playback with analog, digital, headphone I/O's, mastering, AD/DA, preamps, recording).  $600 new and $200 for used older interfaces particularly is a good investment.  If a $30 recorder with spdif or replacement maudio card works for you then great.  The OP expressed interested in external audio interfaces.  "Are there any GOOD external/usb interfaces I should consider?" VERBATIM.  "Or an interface of some sort, would be more versatile at this point."  Verbatim.  What the FUCK do you think this is?  The OP didn't state a price range/budget and you aren't going to find any "good" interfaces for $30.

So many classy douchebag "tapers" on this site.  I'm not going to get into your passive aggressive internet behavior, but I'll tell you this... your comments and attitude have been noted.  Some of you really should learn about reaping what you sow.

hahahahaha nerds in a group laughing.

OP: "any advice is appreciated".

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:24:09 AM by LoveBuzz81 »

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »
I have an audiophile 2496 collecting dust.  you pay shipping and it's yours.  I haven't transferred with it in years but did use it for digital playback till about a year ago and it worked great.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com