Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VPN's  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
VPN's
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
Well with the news that our ISP can now (or soon) track us and sell that data I figure now is the time to get a VPN.

My only real goal for this is to stop my ISP (and possibly the Gov't) from snooping on my surfing.

I don't do anything that I really have to worry about (other than minimal torrenting, but that is mainly handled by a server in Germany), but for me it sounds like a good idea anyway.

So does anyone have any suggestions on where to start. I've read that some providers that claim not to store logs still do and when the Gov't comes knocking none of them are really going to refuse to hand over their data.

Also...seems like overkill, but is it really necessary to add something like TOR? Again...I just don't want to be tracked. I'm not planning on doing anything (highly) illegal.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: VPN's
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
The Opera browser has VPN built in I beleive
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »
I was using the Private Internet Access VPN for a few years and I liked it, but got lazy and let it lapse.  It's been a while since I've read their legal docs but I recall that they were based overseas, didn't log user's activity, and offered different payment methods (including Bitcoin) to help a user keep their anonymity.  And yeah, with the recent Senate vote that eliminated privacy rules for ISPs, I think I'm gonna sign up again before too long. 

Can't really weigh in on Tor as I haven't used it.  But I have some friends that swear by it due to their conviction that Chrome, Internet Explorer, et al, are mining and reading everything we do via our browsers. 

Some links that might help:
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/want-use-vpn-protect-privacy-start/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/tor-vpn-proxy
http://lifehacker.com/what-is-tor-and-should-i-use-it-1527891029
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:41:26 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
I was using the Private Internet Access VPN for a few years and I liked it, but got lazy and let it lapse.  It's been a while since I've read their legal docs but I recall that they were based overseas, didn't log user's activity, and offered different payment methods (including Bitcoin) to help a user keep their anonymity.  And yeah, with the recent Senate vote that eliminated privacy rules for ISPs, I think I'm gonna sign up again before too long. 

I use PIA and have been happy with it.  They don't log any activity, and the price is right at $40/year for up to five devices.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
Doing some more reading on this. It looks like it's possible to just use a router as the client so your entire home network goes over the VPN.

Looks like DD-WRT (aftermarket router firmware) will do this. Also looks like many Asus routers have this option.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
^  Hmmm, that would be pretty cool.  Wouldn't mind putting the whole network in my house through a VPN.  Unfortunately, the ISP we use issued us a modem/router all-in-one box.  Not sure with daisy-chaining another router (with the proper firmware) how much/if it would affect the speed? 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
It looks like it's possible to just use a router as the client so your entire home network goes over the VPN.

I've considered the same, but like the ability to turn my VPN (PIA) on / off by device.  IME the occasional website won't allow access while I'm on VPN ('This IP has been automatically blocked').  Only happens when I'm on VPN, even a local IP range, and only certain websites.  (How do they know?)  At any rate, a mild hassle, but enough of one that I like the ease of disconnecting & reconnecting without first punching out to my router settings / config.

* Craigslist is one, can't remember the others.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scrtaper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
I Use PIA Manager ( Private Internet Access ) Only issue is with sites like ticketbastard, they wont load unless you turn it off but i stopped gettin copyright complaints when i started using pia manager and i have been using it for 3 years now
Gafell M94w PM750 cards> Rode M5 > Nak CP-1,CP-2,CP-4 >Superlux S502
Ugly Box 2
Sound Devices Mix Pre 6ii>Tascam DR60D MKII > R-09

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
PIA looks really attractive.  I especially like that the price includes 5 devices.  What kind of performance hit do you guys see when using it?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
Good info on the sites that don't work with a VPN...especially ticket sites. It would suck to find that out at 10:00:05 AM with some mega hard ticket to get.

I think I will start with PIA on my computers. Since you get 5 devices I can use my desktop, phone and tablet...and maybe use the other 2 devices for my roommates devices (phone and laptop, I think).

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »
I use StrongVPN as I'm in the same boat; I'm purely getting to drop out onto the internet somewhere, not necessarily to cover up some nefarious activity. I do however use it to dodge the hockey broadcast blackout all season as my static IP is in a country where it's not broadcast natively... I've been with them for 2-3 years now.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 07:39:57 AM »
I have PIA as well, and don't notice any performance hit at all. Agreed with all above that it's important to have the ability to shut off a VPN temporarily to access sites that block them.

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
I have PIA as well, and don't notice any performance hit at all.

I recall the same.  If I noticed any hit during regular browsing, it was pretty minuscule at its worst.  That said, I never used my VPN while torrenting so I can't say how much it would affect that. 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »
I have PIA as well, and don't notice any performance hit at all.

I recall the same.  If I noticed any hit during regular browsing, it was pretty minuscule at its worst.  That said, I never used my VPN while torrenting so I can't say how much it would affect that.

Torrenting is pretty much a crap shoot with speeds; I was thinking of speed performance in general.  As in, try your favorite speed test sites with and without the VPN enabled.

PIA is looking more attractive by the minute.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com