Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying to figure out what caused these intermittent spikes/pops  (Read 8193 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I recorded for three days straight (about 10 hours a day) at a recent bluegrass festival and upon beginning to process the four channel recordings I found that my two aud channels contain intermittent audible and visible spikes. Each performance was about 45-50 minutes in length and each set of aud tracks has anywhere from one to half a dozen of these mystery spikes.

The spikes are there all three days and are only missing in a couple of the sets. They show up duiring music and also in between sets.
AND, the spikes seem to be predominant in the right channel, not so much the left.

The two soundboard channels have no issues. I tested the mics at home this past weekend and ran them two hours straight with no issue/no spikes.

The mics are a set of Teac ME-120s, 48v phantom modded. I had the mics mounted on a t-bar on a wooden beam about 12 feet off the ground, running to my Tascam DR-70D thru 50ft long XLR cables. I used the mics with different cables three times previously since they were modded, no spikes/no issues.

I powered the deck using a heavy duty extension cable that was plugged into a power rack at the soundboard.

I've attched a some examples of the spikes in Audacity.

Any thoughts appreciated, it's a real mystery to me at this point.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Trying to figure out what caused these intermittent spikes/pops
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
Have you checked for dirty XLR pin contacts? I use Caig to clean/lube my plugs/jacks, but high % alcohol works fine.

Or, is it possible that there is an intermittent break somewhere on the cable? I know it's 50', but in order to find those, you need to flex the cable during recording or pause/recording with headphones on. Start at the terminated ends, then flex each cable as you listen.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
Have you checked for dirty XLR pin contacts? I use Caig to clean/lube my plugs/jacks, but high % alcohol works fine.

Or, is it possible that there is an intermittent break somewhere on the cable? I know it's 50', but in order to find those, you need to flex the cable during recording or pause/recording with headphones on. Start at the terminated ends, then flex each cable as you listen.
I did not check or clean the cable ends, but will next time for sure. I also did not check to see how the files looked prior to the end of the week as I would have caught the issue sooner and been able to adjust.

And I've been unable to test the cable as they were loaned to me for that weekend by a friend, who lives an hour away.
He's aware of the issue and will test it when he can.
Thanks

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
I powered the deck using a heavy duty extension cable that was plugged into a power rack at the soundboard.

Did you meter the A/C? Sounds like it could be dirty power (intermittent low voltage) causing your phantom power to turn off and on again.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »

Did you meter the A/C? Sounds like it could be dirty power (intermittent low voltage) causing your phantom power to turn off and on again.
I did not meter the A/C and have no experience doing that. This was in a theater that "should" have reliable power but you never know I guess.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
Are you using an approved card in the DR-70D?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 09:21:10 PM »
Should have used the schoeps instead....
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »
No. Although I used two different cards and the spikes appeared on both of them.
I have an opportunity to run the mics in a live setting later this week, although not with the same cables nor power source.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »
Should have used the schoeps instead....
Thanks barrett, you beat skaggs to the punch this time!  ;)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 09:56:55 PM »
No. Although I used two different cards and the spikes appeared on both of them.
I have an opportunity to run the mics in a live setting later this week, although not with the same cables nor power source.

There are at least 500 posts in the 70D threads about using non-approved cards and spikes in the recordings. I hope you aren't going to be recording something you care about.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »

There are at least 500 posts in the 70D threads about using non-approved cards and spikes in the recordings. I hope you aren't going to be recording something you care about.
Couple things Rory, could it be possible that the spikes were only on two of the four channels?
And, I can't for the life of me find the exact same cards as detailed in the approved list. Every one I find is just slightly off from a number perspective.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 11:15:59 PM »
I don't own a 70D, but since the spikes are due to write errors and it is writing two different files, I can see how it might only be one file. But I suggest you post in that thread to get feedback.

Sorry to hear about the trouble finding approved cards. Too bad they won't update the list. I have a 60D that I'm prefectly happy with and always wanted to try the 70D, but these problems scared me away.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 11:39:16 PM »
I don't own a 70D, but since the spikes are due to write errors and it is writing two different files, I can see how it might only be one file. But I suggest you post in that thread to get feedback.

Sorry to hear about the trouble finding approved cards. Too bad they won't update the list. I have a 60D that I'm prefectly happy with and always wanted to try the 70D, but these problems scared me away.
Thanks for the reply Rory.
I guess I should have only used it with an approved card but finding the exact ones online is daunting so far. And part of me worries that there's some other reason for the spikes. But after reading in the DR-70D threads a bit, I see that others have had similar issues with the spikes.

And like you I've had 100% success with my DR-60 but struggle with the stereo 1/8" input and the fact that the slightest bump sometimes causes problems with it. So here I am giving the 70-D a whirl.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 12:04:39 AM »
No.
OH dang. I should have known.

Only use cards from Trashcan's short official list.  :-X
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
I can't for the life of me find the exact same cards as detailed in the approved list. Every one I find is just slightly off from a number perspective.

I'm using one of these

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824139-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_016G_A75_Extreme_Pro_16_GB.html

Ran it a handful of times without issues.  If you notice it says MFR # SDSDXP-016G-A46.  The only difference between that and the one on the list is the "-A46" at the end.  If you notice on the list NONE of the cards have the additional letter/number at the end.  So it leads be to believe it's the exact same card and from what I found just has to do with the packaging.

Unfortunately they are out of stock but it says "more on the way".  I preordered another one so I have an extra.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com