Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Add a WiFi access point - super easy; no performance loss  (Read 2531 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Add a WiFi access point - super easy; no performance loss
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
Since moving to our new house, I haven't been able to consistency stay on the 5 GHz WiFi through the house, having to use the 2.4 GHz network with its better range most of the time.  I've never been satisfied with "range extenders" because of the performance hit.

I came across these simple directions, which happen to be for the exact router I already own but out of necessity was placed in a far corner of the basement rather than in an optimal location for even signal coverage.  So I bought another of the same router used on eBay, and after configuring it, placed it in the opposite end of the house upstairs.  Now I have rock-solid 5 GHz signal everywhere, and speeds equal to what I get on the hardwired network. 

The first router is connected via ethernet to the second.  SSIDs and passwords are duplicated on the second router so the handoff is seamless.  The only thing different in the second router's settings are assigning a fixed IP and disabling DHCP.  It actually took me longer to terminate two new cables than it did for the new router setup.

The only caveat is you have to have ethernet cable run from your existing router to the second one.  I had the builder run Cat6 to every room so for me that was easy, but for older houses you may have to go fishing.

TL;DR: Don't buy a WiFi range extender.  Get a second router and configure it as an access point.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Add a WiFi access point - super easy; no performance loss
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 08:48:32 AM »
Why not just use the 2.4ghz if the range was workable?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Add a WiFi access point - super easy; no performance loss
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »
Why not just use the 2.4ghz if the range was workable?

Even the 2.4 GHz network wasn't totally reliable on the side of the house opposite the (original) router, so this was necessary for me to do on that band as well.

If you are able to centrally locate your router you might be able to cover a very large house with just one.  If not, this two-router setup works great.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com