Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is it worth the money to upgrade from Audacity?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
Is it worth the money to upgrade from Audacity?
« on: August 26, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
So far Audacity has been working fine for me.  Is it really worth the money to upgrade and what would you recommend buying?  I also use a mac.

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:56:28 PM by harmon712 »
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is it worth the money to upgrade from Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
That depends on what you're looking to do that Audacity can't, or what in your workflow you think is being held up by Audacity.  If you need functionality that Audacity can't provide, then sure it's probably worth money to upgrade.  You said Audacity is working fine for you, though, so it's not clear what your goal is with upgrading.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:05:32 AM »
That depends on what you're looking to do that Audacity can't, or what in your workflow you think is being held up by Audacity.  If you need functionality that Audacity can't provide, then sure it's probably worth money to upgrade.  You said Audacity is working fine for you, though, so it's not clear what your goal is with upgrading.
Just something I've thought about for awhile, I will stick with Audacity.

Thank you.
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:03:54 AM »

Very good points here.  If you want to use a computer as the actual recording machine, you might want something more bulletproof/crash resistant. If it's just for post-processing, and you're happy with the feature set, then keep using Audacity until you burn out on it, or run into an actual problem or limitation.

There are *definitely* other options out there, and they don't all cost an arm and a leg, but each has a learning curve, and its own interface and structure. It can be very informative to learn a few different systems, if that suits your style. I've worked in Protools (project version) and Digital Performer, and they each have their strong points. But I do almost everything I can in Audacity. I did get a free copy of Sound Forge with my DR-70D, so rather than sell the code for $50 I figured to use it. It's nice for plugins.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com