Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonarworks 3 Reference  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Sonarworks 3 Reference
« on: September 08, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
Anyone tried this? https://www.sonarworks.com/professional

It's speaker and/or headphone measurement and correction software to flatten the response of your playback. It's intended as a final touch for a treated room, and if you're like me you don't have a treated room, but I'm currently demoing this to see if the difference in an untreated room is worth the cost (around $400 for the whole package including measurement mic).

For speakers it plays various clicks and tone sweeps while directing you where to hold the measurement mic. After taking all the measurements of your listening area, it creates a profile that you use in a plugin for your DAW (there are also ways to use this system-wide for all your audio playback). The idea is that you mix/master through this then turn it off when you render (unless you use Reaper and have a monitor channel to put it on so it doesn't print to file  8) ). Because you worked with a flatter speaker response your project should translate better to other playback.

I borrowed a measurement mic from a friend and ran the software today. A quick check on an existing project that I know to be heavy in the lowmids revealed that now much more than the uncalibrated playback. So that's good so far. It'll take a while to decide if there's enough difference across the spectrum to justify the cost, but you get 21 days on the demo.

The headphone version uses stock measurements for various headphone models. At a quick check this also seemed like an improvement. The $400 bundle includes both the headphone and speaker versions, or they are available separately.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
Re: Sonarworks 3 Reference
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:45:49 PM »
Two days into the 21-day trial, most likely I'll buy it. I've worked on several test projects that I was able to EQ to my satisfaction in one pass rather than two or three rounds of checking on various systems and going back to re-tweak.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
Re: Sonarworks 3 Reference
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »
Currently on sale, knocks about $70 off the Complete price.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com