Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying to upload to archive.org and finding it overwhelming  (Read 4129 times)

Offline jackstraw2679

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Trying to upload to archive.org and finding it overwhelming
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:14:05 AM »
I've been taping for a few years but have never uploaded anything to internet archive. I have files that I've split into tracks using Cd wave and I want to get them up to share. What is the specific workflow that I should use. I've primarily been using Audacity so I would like to keep that in the process. what I'm doing at this point is going from SD>audacity>Cd wave> hard drive file. I've shared a few with Dropbox but would like to share them to a wider crowd. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Trying to upload to archive.org and finding it overwhelming
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:47 AM »
I used to be intimidated by it and am now relatively comfortable with it. I'm sure some others have better advice, BUT, I use Audacity and cdwav so I'll give you my abbreviated work flow: (You need TLH also)

Audacity: edit, fades, levels, EQ     I end up with a file titled bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo_finaledit        My mentor says name it bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfodxt
in cdwav: I cut it into tracks, save them into a folder titled bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo wavs   I also save the cue sheet (typically my filesets are 24/48)
Using Traders Little Helper: convert the 24 bit wavs to 24 bit flacs level 8; creating an ffp file saved into a folder named bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo flacs  ( I then do the same for 24 bit mp3-but NOT required for LMA uploads)

Then I go back to the final edit in Audacity; convert that to 44100, save as 16 bit signed wav titled bandnameyyymmdd-16micinfo_finaledit into a folder titled bandnameyyymmdd-16 wavs
then load that up into cdwav editor; load the previously saved cue sheet, say NO to "do you wish to open the file associated with"
Save into the folder titled bandnameyyymmdd-16 wavs
Using Traders Little Helper I then convert the 16 bit wavs to 16 bit flacs level 8; creating an ffp file saved into a folder named bandnameyyymmdd-16 flacs

Now you have four folders (five if you do 24 bit mp3's). the flac folders should have the .ffp files and a .txt file all with the same nomenclature (i.e. bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo.txt; bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo.ffp)

For upload to LMA, you follow these instructions: https://ia802709.us.archive.org/10/items/lmaupload/lmaupload.html
uploading your 24 bit files, following through to completion, adding in all the metadata and then do the same for the 16 bit filesets

One optional aspect I like to be as detailed as possible with the LMA sequence is the "Topics" section. this is like a hashtag indentifier for searching. I typically put in:
 band name; individual artists; my TS upload account handle; bit depth; city; venue        as one example, her is a topics entry of mine:
Drive-By Truckers; The Egg; Hart Theatre; Albany NY; Rocksuitcase ( I omitted the band member names but do use them for some LMA uploads)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:11:37 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jackstraw2679

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 05:45:55 AM »
Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »
Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
Hi there. Let me know if you still need help. I recently put together an MS Word document workflow with a few screenshots to help a friend start upping shows to LMA. the workflow begins once your files are ready (tracked and flac'd).

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »
There is an upload guide for the LMA on the LMA. If it can be improved, let me know and I can make changes.

https://archive.org/download/lmaupload/lmaupload.html
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
There is an upload guide for the LMA on the LMA. If it can be improved, let me know and I can make changes.

This is very similar to the one I linked to which greenone had provided me in 2014. I just pulled them both up in my browser and can say there is no major difference.
One suggestion came to me immediately: the image after step 11 might could be updated to show the current schema/view (as I think that is an older view but I could be incorrect)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »
Nice effort Vanark, thanks.
It might be good to clarify a couple points. After reading the 2014-12-07 doc, a pure nOOb could/might still be a little confused by some of the content.

The first point I wonder about is that there is bold red text in step 1 and repeated in step 3 stating:
    Note: MD5 and ffp checksum files are no longer required. They will ony be checked on the initial upload and not when/if files are changed.

To me that reads like a catch 22... I don't need to [upload] a check file but if I change a file it will read it. If it's not part of an upload how can it be read later?  Since I was informed of this some time back I've dispensed with creating and uploading said files and things have worked out fine. The reason I was told that that they're not needed is that as the upload progresses, the system does a CRC on the data... as it flows up to heaven... and if there's a bump along the way, it re-sends the data till the codes match.

Now, maybe I'm doing something wrong by not populating the data box on the initial upload with the contents of a FFP even though I omit the actual FFP file from the upload set. If I'm supposed to do this then I've been very lucky that the check file data hasn't been needed.

FFP's and md5's are NEVER checked any longer. So, that is an easy fix.

FLAC files are tested before they are converted to mp3.

The second point I know has caused me trouble: the required info text file indicted in step 3. I think some formatting issues have been worked out (don't start a track name with digits) but for a new uploader it might be illustrative to create and link to a sample file to help highlight the critical content.  Maybe one with common error forms/sources and the LMA Pixie approved alternatives pointed out.

Noted.

But, you can start a track name with numbers. The track name cannot ONLY be numbers. So, 51 Phantom is fine, but 1949 won't work.

That said, I don't now exactly how the parser works. I only know what works and what doesn't. Does that make sense?

I once asked for an explanation so I do exactly what you requested and what I got back was the actual computer code used to parse the text file. Not very helpful.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »

This is very similar to the one I linked to which greenone had provided me in 2014. I just pulled them both up in my browser and can say there is no major difference.
One suggestion came to me immediately: the image after step 11 might could be updated to show the current schema/view (as I think that is an older view but I could be incorrect)

Yes, some of them are of the old site. Thank you.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 07:15:57 PM »
But, you can start a track name with numbers. The track name cannot ONLY be numbers. So, 51 Phantom is fine, but 1949 won't work.
A workaround is to make the first version of the info.txt file with the name spelled out or modified like "Nineteen49" or even "A1949" so the parser gets it close. Then change the automatically-populated title for that track back to "1949" and finish the derive. Once it is complete and correct, you can replace the modified info.txt file with one using the original spelling of "1949."

I don't bother with anything but 24/48. Who needs plastic CD's, so who needs 16/44.1?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com