Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Homegrown WAVE header repair utility  (Read 103843 times)

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Homegrown WAVE header repair utility
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
No guarantees on this, but download VLC media player.  IF VLC can play the file, then use VLC to convert/save the file as a 44.1/16 WAV file. 

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
I don't know if this will make sense / or help, but a while back in this thread, I mentioned a different approach which rescued a set that had somehow been "dropped" by my recorder:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.msg1902304#msg1902304
 - Specifically, this part:
my wife actually resurrected this file just recently, using a trick she learned from some of the developers she works with: using a binary reader, she went past the presumed header, into the data area, and randomly plucked out two pairs of zeros. That reversed the flaw in the file, turning the first two minutes of the .wav file into an overloaded signal which could almost be mistaken for white noise, and all of the audio from the set appeared, and after careful examination, is stable.

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but a buddy of mine has 13 corrupted files from a Sony M10.  I have tried the Audacity raw importing, FLACIng the file, sound forge, cdwav, the tool in this thread, the Sound Devices tool and nothing will open/import/correct these files into WAV files.

Anyone have any more current ideas/tool/tricks?  Trying to get at least one of these to open, and absolutely zero luck... kind of assuming a bad card, but the files are proper size and lengths, but just wont open in anything with any tool.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »
No guarantees on this, but download VLC media player.  IF VLC can play the file, then use VLC to convert/save the file as a 44.1/16 WAV file. 
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

I tried that from another message board, no luck, but thanks

I don't know if this will make sense / or help, but a while back in this thread, I mentioned a different approach which rescued a set that had somehow been "dropped" by my recorder:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.msg1902304#msg1902304
 - Specifically, this part:
my wife actually resurrected this file just recently, using a trick she learned from some of the developers she works with: using a binary reader, she went past the presumed header, into the data area, and randomly plucked out two pairs of zeros. That reversed the flaw in the file, turning the first two minutes of the .wav file into an overloaded signal which could almost be mistaken for white noise, and all of the audio from the set appeared, and after careful examination, is stable.

I can try that, thought I did use the "Header repair" tool in this thread, and I kind of assume the steps above would do the same, but I will give it a try tonight and report back

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
Well, as I had mentioned back in that earlier post, I was never able to get my head around the header repair tool, and to date, no one ever really came forward to help me with that, so it *may* turn out to be the same (or at least a similar) process, but I really am unable to speak to that, I guess.

I can try that, thought I did use the "Header repair" tool in this thread, and I kind of assume the steps above would do the same, but I will give it a try tonight and report back
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »
bumping an old thread, so if anyone searches for "WAV header file repair feature" then they can find this!

8)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »
When I click the Bat file in Windoze 10 it said "This app can't run on your PC" ?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
When I click the Bat file in Windoze 10 it said "This app can't run on your PC" ?

Try to right click and run as admin
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:11 AM »
^ FYI

this can only be run in a CMD prompt Window (as you cannot just click/double click on the file to run)

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2022, 01:35:46 AM »
Had heartbreaking experience of SD card failure mid-show. PCM A10 showed levels recording successfully, yet when I go to play file, dead silence after a certain point.

Appreciate this thread deeply for teaching me a lot and giving me potential troubleshooting avenues.

Unfortunately, couldn't save my files - I analyzed them with a hex editor (as GroundHog420 suggested) and after failure point it's nothing but 00's as far as the eye can see.

Just wanted to throw a cautionary tale into the wind, remind people to only use trusted cards, and show some love for all the knowledge shared and preserved here.

e: Just for future reference, I feel like an idiot- this is definitely the issue https://recoverhdd.com/blog/recovering-data-from-fake-sd-cards.html and I lost at least one other show on the card as a result.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 02:41:10 AM by lmgbtapes »

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2022, 09:14:51 PM »
Hello all.
Got the dreaded zero byte issue on three files from the last act one night of a recent festival I archived. Total rookie mistake on my part as I left the gear running at the main stage while heading over to the late night stage to start things up. When I finally got back to the main stage about 20 mins later most of the power to the stage area had been turned off including my power feed from monitor world.
Yes, I should have been running on battery power, at least at that point of the night.  :-\

The SD card shows about 12gb of 59gb full, and the three other acts on the card came out just fine and total a little less than 8gb. So I'm pretty sure the missing 4gb is the set and those three files in question.

Anyhow, I followed the instructions early on in this thread for fixwave.exe and got the attached message, which I assume means I'm at a dead end at least with this type of recovery.
Just looking for some concurrence based on the screenshot message.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:57:42 PM by billydee »

Offline morst

« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2022, 01:38:50 AM »
if they are not REALLY zeroes: use ZAR on a PC then import the result into Audacity as RAW data! (you might have to try different "endian-ness" to get it to work, just experiment on a short sample {30 sec?} to see if it sounds like audio or trash/hash.)

The free version should work. wish they made it for mac.
https://www.z-a-recovery.com/

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
If the data is there it should be recoverable. This sounds like a wave header issue instead of some corruption of the file system.

Importing the data as raw will probably work. The audiohack utility that I posted here can do this also. It creates a new output file from the existing one, reading the file header and scanning for the data chunk. Then it reads and writes the data to the new file and corrects the counters in the wave header.

Let us know if you get stuck.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline morst

« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2022, 11:40:51 AM »

Thanks for the reminder!

ZAR is something that scans the media, as you indicate!

Great! This has been an all round helpful thread for a lot since it was started.

I guess I should say that problems could be classified as follows:

1) Problems accessing the data. Whether this was from battery failing or media being ejected. Dropping your recorder or some such.
Solution: you need to run something that scans the media and finds all of the sectors associated with a file. CHKDSK can repair the file allocation table. Photorec was another utility mentioned. I use BadCopyPro to scan media also.

2) Problems with the file header.
Solution: This can be sometimes fixed with Pigiron's handy utility. If you are familiar with hex number format you can try to edit the front of the file with a hex editor by comparing a good file to the bad one. I use Ultraedit for this. Handy also for just viewing what's there. If you can get the first part of the file corrected, my audiohack.exe utility can scan the data and create a new good file for you.

3) Problems with the framing. You can get white noise or a mixture of low level audio and noise if the framing is incorrect.
Solution: Import as raw with a utility that can import starting at a certain offset. I import 24-bit files with up to 3 offsets that are one byte different each time. Then I look at the waveforms and listen to each to tell which file is correctly framed. (You can usually tell by the waveform though). If there are missing bytes here and there and the audio is really messed up framing-wise you may have to put the imported files on separate tracks and only use the good sections and bounce the a good file that way.

All three of these issues have to be dealt with in the correct way. If you have two or more of these issues you have to deal with each one. But importantly, if you have the data accessable you should be able to recover it somehow.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2022, 12:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm determined to get this done!

The right amount of data is on the card, and I tried following this procedure (https://youtu.be/ZU9pj0-hbiM) last week and pulled into Audacity via Raw Import what I'd consider something that matched this description-
"3) Problems with the framing. You can get white noise or a mixture of low level audio and noise if the framing is incorrect."

And in Audacity I could hear some of the Dirtwire music but it was in and out and mixed with white noise. I should note that this was all done with a clone/disc image of the SD card in question.

So I think it's a matter of following thru. And I assume the audiohack.exe utility is linked to somewhere in this thread so I'll try and find that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:28:12 PM by billydee »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com