Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Confused, can't decide what to get for a recording device.  (Read 9051 times)

Offline badsneakers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Confused, can't decide what to get for a recording device.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »
a UA5 will be be around $300 without mods I beleive.  a MT2496 is around $400  2gig CF to start $100

$800

ACM 660 as lsited on website $749 2gig CF $100

$850

UA5/JB3 combo around $500 with no special mods done to UA5  I guess I need a power supply for the UA5 but that should be cheap enough.

I would rule out the MT option because the 660 has a proven track record.

I don't know

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 10:23:15 PM »
AKG 391's w/active asking $600 right now in the Yard Sale section, I'm guessing they won't last long.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52718.0

Don't the actives alone go for > $300?!?  Wow, helluva deal, unless I'm mistaken.

Great deal IMO.

AND... drum roll...  :drummer: just posted

JB3

- two batts
- usb cable
- toslink cable w/toslink mini end
- ac adapter
- softare

i'd like what I pad, which is $207 shipped to your door.
PapPal preffered..but will take a check.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52737.0

that leaves about $400 in your pocket for a UA-5 and battery solution (pretty inexpensive).

« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:24:53 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 10:24:54 PM »
AKG 391's w/active asking $600 right now in the Yard Sale section, I'm guessing they won't last long.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52718.0

Don't the actives alone go for > $300?!?  Wow, helluva deal, unless I'm mistaken.

what do these sell for new?

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 10:26:36 PM »
UA5/JB3 combo you have the optical cable to run (as well as a battery for the UA-5 correct me if I'm wrong)

No, you're correct - I forgot about the battery cable.

What would a UA-5>MT2496 combo w/ CF memory run?  In comparison to the modded 660?

Digi-mod UA5, let's assume a high price of $300.  Add the MT2496 at $300.  And a 4GB CF for another $200.  Total of around $800.

IMO, don't go with a 24-bit solution today, if your playback system won't accommodate it.  But...that doesn't mean one shouldn't prepare for the future.

Sneakers - what's your overall budget for mics + preamp + ADC + recorder?  Is it still the $1,000 initially stated, or is it now up to $1,500 or somewhere in between based on your winnings?

If still $1,000, UA5/JB3 at $500 still leaves $500 for mics.  The Peluso's fall about in that range, I think, with a single set of caps.  Or AKG 39x.  If your budget's up to $1,500, that leaves ~$1,000 after the UA5/JB3 for mics, getting you into something like MG M300s, Neumann KM184s, AKG 480s, MBHO 603s, etc.  All very good mics.

I could do around $1500

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 10:29:35 PM »

I'm guessing you could find a retailer and get the AKG's for around $625-700 new, but that's w/out active cables.

If you can swing a little more cash, I'd prefer the MBHO's.  MBHO's are pretty bright, AKG's are what I'd call "Dark", a little too simplistic.  If you might want to pick up additional caps later on, I'd probably go with the AKG's.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:33:17 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 10:34:45 PM »
so there is no real benefit to the ACM 660 sound wise over the UA5>JB3  just a little more portability

The purchase of the 660 would still leave me with 500-600 for mics.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:51:00 PM by badsneakers »

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 10:37:53 PM »

I'm guessing you could find a retailer and get the AKG's for around $625-700 new, but that's w/out active cables.

If you can swing a little more cash, I'd prefer the MBHO's.  MBHO's are pretty bright, AKG's are what I'd call "Dark", a little too simplistic.  If you might want to pick up additional caps later on, I'd probably go with the AKG's.

Thats the thing I'm not sure if I wouldwant to pick up additional caps later on.  My potential new rig whatever it may be would be used mostly for loud and heavy type music.  In small to medium sized venues. 

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 10:41:44 PM »
so there is no real benefit to the ACM 660 sound wise over the UA5>JB3  just a little ore portability

The purchase of the 600 would still leave me with 500-600 for mics.

Just to clarify, do you mean the PDM-660?  If so, make sure the price is for a Mod'd PMD-660 (Oade.com), stock the unit isn't all that useful for louder PA recording.

I'd give the edge to the UA-5 for the better sounding A/D, so the decision would be down to $ and portability.

The more $ for mics the better, that's your front line!  

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 10:49:51 PM »
Yeah I the price was for the top Oade mod.  I do realy like not having to deal with anything but one machine and mics.  But I don't want to sacrifice to much in sound quality. 

I really appreciate all the help.

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 10:54:37 PM »
Yeah I the price was for the top Oade mod.  I do realy like not having to deal with anything but one machine and mics.  But I don't want to sacrifice to much in sound quality. 

I have an Oade mod'ed 671 and love it, I can't imagine the UA-5>? would sound THAT much better than the PMD-660, you'll gain much more with your microphone choice. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:42 PM »

Ahhh...this explains the low price - actives will only be of interest to those using them exclusively for stealthing, given their short length:

2 AKG mk90/3-h98 - active cables (note: cable length is only 4ft - perfect for stealthing!)

a UA5 will be be around $300 without mods I beleive.  a MT2496 is around $400  2gig CF to start $100

UA5s are available pretty regularly in the Yard Sale.  Keep an eye out.  And the MT2496 is $300 at Guitar Center, not $400.

UA5/JB3 combo around $500 with no special mods done to UA5  I guess I need a power supply for the UA5 but that should be cheap enough.

Max $50 for power supply.

I do realy like not having to deal with anything but one machine and mics.  But I don't want to sacrifice to much in sound quality.

An extra 2 cables - one for UA5 > JB3, another for battery > UA5 - really isn't that big a deal.  Takes all of about an extra 18 seconds to hook up, if that.

My final recommendation:

Mics - pick up a used pair in the ~$1k or slightly less range.  As stated earlier, this gets you into some really fantastic mics like AKG 480s, Neumann KM184s, Microtech Gefell M300s, MBHO 603/KA200s, etc. or the slightly less expensive Peluso's.  If you don't know which to get, listen to some recordings using these mics and the UA5.  And if you still can't decide, pick up whatever's available used - any of them, just pick one.  Why?  <1> It's tough to know whether you like the gear until you actually run it yourself, <2> you can always sell it for what you paid (or damn close) and incur no financial downside if you decide you don't like the mics and want to change to something else.

Pre/ADC - digi-mod UA5, used (no longer available new).

Recorder - JB3 (used, no longer - or only rarely - available new).  They're popping up regularly on the used market as people switch over to the MT2496.  16-bit isn't going away any time soon, and sounds mighty fine, so don't sweat the latest and greatest MT2496, and the other 24-bit recorders now hitting the market.  Plenty of time to upgrade to 24-bit later, especially after upgrading your playback system to gain the most benefit from the increased resolution at 24-bit.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 04:40:26 PM »

I have an Oade mod'ed 671 and love it, I can't imagine the UA-5>? would sound THAT much better than the PMD-660, you'll gain much more with your microphone choice. 

really? what type of mod? i recall hearing that doug wasnt gonna have the parts for the ACM mod 671 for quite some time so im just wondering
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 09:55:07 PM »

I'm guessing mics that are a little more "bright"  would be good for bass heavy music. 

Maybe?

ehh.

;D

Mics - pick up a used pair in the ~$1k or slightly less range.  As stated earlier, this gets you into some really fantastic mics like AKG 480s, Neumann KM184s, Microtech Gefell M300s, MBHO 603/KA200s, etc. or the slightly less expensive Peluso's.  If you don't know which to get, listen to some recordings using these mics and the UA5.  And if you still can't decide, pick up whatever's available used - any of them, just pick one.  Why?  <1> It's tough to know whether you like the gear until you actually run it yourself, <2> you can always sell it for what you paid (or damn close) and incur no financial downside if you decide you don't like the mics and want to change to something else.

thanks for the mic recomendations
so many to lchoices

I priced out new 391's on my lunch but forgot what I was quoted.
I wrote it down though

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com