Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Files on CF card screwed up with card reader?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline RDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Files on CF card screwed up with card reader?
« on: October 06, 2005, 05:19:45 PM »
Just had an odd thing happen with a CF card and figured I'd see if anybody else had similiar experiences.  I recorded the ABB & moe. show Friday night with my Marantz 671 and recorded each set at 24/48 on a 4 gb cf card.  I copied the ABB show over, but hadn't copied the moe set yet.  I had put it in a card reader and verified the file was there (I also listened on the Marantz), but wanted to free up some hard disc space before copying over the moe set.  I just put in the cf card in the card reader and when I try to open the card, it says "the disc in drive h isn't formatted.... do you want to format it now?".   I ejected the card and put it in the Marantz and when it loads the card, the Marantz shows a message of "must format on PC".

Is there any way to recover the file, or is it gone?

Also, any idea what caused this, so I don't do it again?

Thanks.... RD
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Files on CF card screwed up with card reader?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 05:27:12 PM »
Did you dismount the card before you pulled it the first time? (On Mac Apple+e or drag to trash; on PC use the tool in the system tray to "safely remove external devices.")
Out of the game … for now?

Offline RDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Files on CF card screwed up with card reader?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 06:25:52 PM »
Here's an update......  I assumed the data was gone and reformatted the card on the PC.  When I put the card in the Marantz, it basically froze up with the initial power on display which has all the led's lit up.  I had to remove ac power and pull out the batteries to reset it.  I put in my other card which worked perfectly and then once again tried the 2nd card and it froze up the Marantz again.  I called Marantz tech support and they said it was a bad card.  I then called Kingston (both cards are 45x Elite Pro 4 GB), and after going through 2 layers of tech support, they also felt it was a bad card and set me up with an exchange for a new one (pretty cool since I bought these off of Ebay).  One other odd thing is that I can copy files to the card on the PC using the card reader, but with the Marantz it won't get past the initial startup screen.

RD
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com