Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke AD20 level adjustments a pain in the butt to match. any suggestions?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
so...

as those who use the AD20 know, it is a pain in the ass (especially with a few beers in ya) to match the right and left levels due to the poor design on the knobs (barely visible notch). is there a mod or anything that someone can suggest that may make my life easier????? I'd love to know!
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
There is a common 'knob modification'  ;D that AD20 owners have.  Mine came that way - (purchased used).  I believe that I have seen larger knobs at Radio Shak that are designed to fit over existing knobs and have a small set screw that holds them in place. 
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
mucho thanks! +t fo sho! I'm gonna hit the shack tmw. to try and find some. In case they dint have them, any other suggestions ya'll???
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline shayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Not sure what your source is but I would worry less about the position of the two gain pots and go by the meters on your deck I ran the ad-20 with a stereo matched pair of oktavas and they were a a little off so i would have to crank one side a little harder then  the other, again don't know what your source is so this may not apply
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
Not sure what your source is but I would worry less about the position of the two gain pots and go by the meters on your deck I ran the ad-20 with a stereo matched pair of oktavas and they were a a little off so i would have to crank one side a little harder then  the other, again don't know what your source is so this may not apply

Good point, and hopefully that is what he is trying to do.  The stock gain knobs are so small that it is hard to do fine adjustments.  I have the 'knob mod' on mine, but it is only to allow for fine adjustments.  I don't even worry about what actual 'setting' the knobs are at, I just adjust each side until my levels look good.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
"highlight" the notch with a paint marker and its much easier to see, you can even put some lines on the blue part of the ad20 at like 9, 12, 3 oclock
assuming your mics are matched or close to it you will be good to go
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com