Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Next Step Up from Church Audio / Superlux Mics....  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Next Step Up from Church Audio / Superlux Mics....
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:37:44 AM »
I've collected and work with about 5 different sets of $250 Mics Currently. I'm pleased for the most part with my pull's, but curious what folks inputs were for the next step up...

Current Collection of Mics Include Superlux s502 ORTF,  CA-11 Omni, CA-14 Cards w (2) CA 9200 PowerAmps, Rode M5 Mics, SP C4 Mics with Hyper, Omni and Card Caps.

Looking at $500 & maybe $800 Range....Hit me with your thoughts. I mainly record indoors at venues with 600 to 1000 Folks, but also record outdoors at Delfest, and Summer Fests

:cheers:
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Next Step Up from Church Audio / Superlux Mics....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:18:51 AM »
AKG 480's + ck61 and ck63's. Can probably easily score them on the used market for what you already have invested in your current mics and then some...

Or maybe just the caps and Nbob actives...

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »
AKG 480's + ck61 and ck63's. Can probably easily score them on the used market for what you already have invested in your current mics and then some...

Or maybe just the caps and Nbob actives...

I've found the ck63s very hard to find lately as I have been looking for a set myself. 460s run about $150-175 each for a clean one and about $250 for a 460 w/ck61. Not sure about the 480s on market value.

I did just place an order for AKG nbobs though  :)
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
I don't mean this to sound snarky or shitty, but are you sure you're getting everything you can out of your current mics?  Making a great recording doesn't necessarily require expensive mics.  Location/setup is more important.

That said, an essential piece of information is missing here: what do you find lacking in your current recordings? 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
I don't mean this to sound snarky or shitty, but are you sure you're getting everything you can out of your current mics?  Making a great recording doesn't necessarily require expensive mics.  Location/setup is more important.

That said, an essential piece of information is missing here: what do you find lacking in your current recordings?

Rich has been hanging around Team Philly long enough to know the venues and where the sweet spots are. I don't think that is an issue...

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
Controversial opinion:

"Stepping up" could be overrated. Of course you'll find a lot of "Go Schoeps or go home" in this neck of the woods and in no way am I trying to dissuade you from trying something else. If I were you I'd try borrowing any sets of mics that you can. I've only owned two different mics, ADT a51s and AKG Blue Lines and I don't have anything bad to say about either so take that into account when considering my opinion. I'd be sure as happy to throw as set of SM57s in the air ti catch a show.

I'll advocate for AKG 390s. I like them and they're reasonably priced.

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
Consider adding some vintage flavor for minimal cost to your quiver.

I ran Schoeps for many years before I semi-retired from taping. Once I got back in the game I went for cheaper but what I'd consider still high quality mics. And again, it's all about placement.

There are amazing deals on Japanese-manufactured electret condenser mics these days. And it's an inexpensive investment to treat your ears to something different.

There's of course the Nakamichi CM-300 and 100 models along with their "clones", the Tascam PE-120 model and the Teac ME-120 and 80 models. All of those are practically being given away at times on eBay lately.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 04:47:23 PM by billydee »

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
Look at MBHO and Beyerdynamic.  Excellent bang/buck.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 05:37:07 PM »
Vote for. Busman AudioBSC1 stereo pair, four patterns and can be had used for $300ish a pair. Imo a big jump from what you run now.wantKeep the Churches, they are quite solid and great for 😈 .

Owned MBHO two different times, maybe a small leap from the Busmans. But you can get an active MBHO setup as mentioned above, more money but still 1k or so.

Couple of good options.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 05:38:41 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 06:53:33 PM »
Anodyne beat me to it.  Bought mine almost 30 years ago and they are still running fine.  Best move I ever made. 

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 08:24:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for their feedback so far....might try to add another set of mics to the arsenal later on this year. Def. some good options here to explore and research.

Keep em coming if you like.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »
Dpa omnis in the yard sale.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 07:07:03 PM »
In general, if you're looking for the lowest cost for a high level of quality, you're in luck if omnidirectional mikes are your preference. Those are easier to design and manufacture to a given standard than directional microphones, so there are more satisfying options at relatively low prices. They probably won't be as close to the design spec or as well-matched as you would get from a higher-end manufacturer--but that's a somewhat less critical consideration with omnis, since you don't (normally) use them close together.

Next best bargain "tier" is cardioids. They're more complex than omnis to design and manufacture, but there's not much mystery left as to how to do that. That doesn't mean that all cardioids sound equally good when recording wide-range music--they don't by a long shot. The most common application (communication) drives most product design decisions, and it doesn't require the same qualities as music recording (e.g. extended low-frequency response, smooth high-frequency response, uniform polar patterns across the frequency range, wide dynamic range, low distortion). But one can find well-made, good-sounding cardioids for wide-range music recording in the medium price range; they definitely exist.

On the other hand, supercardioids, figure-8s, shotgun microphones and other "minority" patterns such as wide cardioids and hypercardioids are still technological specialty items. None of the low- or medium-price offerings in these categories are the near sonic equals of the top professional brands, and one shouldn't fool oneself about that. Again this is partly because the largest number of microphones by far aren't designed for wide-range music recording, since that's not what most people them for, and the qualities required for different applications conflict.

But the design, manufacturing and quality control requirements of these microphone types (or capsule types) are also considerably more difficult than with omnis or cardioids. Fewer designers and manufacturers know their way around in these areas, and the cost of manufacture and quality control is higher as well. You could take the best supercardioid microphone apart and look at it under a microscope (as all the clone manufacturers have surely done) but still not know how to make one yourself, except approximately--and the ones that you do make, you couldn't sell for highly competitive prices if you maintain high quality control standards and offer an active, supportive service infrastructure. So by and large, economic forces ensure that that doesn't happen.

--best regards
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:10:24 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 11:10:40 PM »
Rich,

I have a pair of AKG bluelines I could loan you if you'd like...

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 01:01:53 AM »
I would go with a pair of AKG 460’s with ck61’’s or ck1’s. You will have several capsule options you can add down the road as needed....hypers, omnis, or shotguns they are flexible mics and sound great for a very reasonable price imo
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com