Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping @ the Tower Theater  (Read 6593 times)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
Taping @ the Tower Theater
« on: May 12, 2004, 11:56:36 AM »
Anyone here have experience taping at the Tower Theater in Philly?  I'll be there for mraz next friday and want to know if anyone has ever run a stand FOB.  Mraz's people say I can't because of venue policy, but I wanted to double check.  I have 2nd row seats and really don't want to move back to the taper's section.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
Re:Taping @ the Tower Theater
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 02:50:14 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread a bit...
But yeah, I am worried the same thing on Seattle/Portland shows....Mraz is playing these grand seated theatre type places who rarely have any concerts there.   I got damn good seats to both but the Seattle one actually has "taper tickets" which are in the middle section but like 30 rows back....no idea how high we will be able to fly stands from there because there are still more rows behind us.   And for Portland there wasn't any taper tickets so who knows on that show either(picked up front row of the box seats just to be safe).
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:54:17 PM »
according to the management for Mraz you can fly as high as the venue allows
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 03:15:28 PM »
Tower's taping policy changes with the wind.  I've heard of people running stands FOB for bands that allow taping but do not have taper tickets or a tapers section.  I've been kicked out for taping FOB and up in the Loge for Phil Lesh where they had a specific taper section set up under the balcony in the last few rows.  Last Oct. I ran openly from the front row of the Loge with no problems for SCI even though they had a tapers section under the balcony.  A friend did the same the night before.

2nd row may be too close to record from, but maybe trade your ticket back a bit, maybe the 10-12th row, and ask the usher if you're allowed to record from there before setting up.  Of course, if you have a stealth (ie. in hat) rig, just run that and don't say a word.

Have fun.  If you park on the street, don't forget the meters run until 10 or 11pm.  You will get a ticket if you don't feed them.

Craig.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
Tower's taping policy changes with the wind.  I've heard of people running stands FOB for bands that allow taping but do not have taper tickets or a tapers section.  I've been kicked out for taping FOB and up in the Loge for Phil Lesh where they had a specific taper section set up under the balcony in the last few rows.  Last Oct. I ran openly from the front row of the Loge with no problems for SCI even though they had a tapers section under the balcony.  A friend did the same the night before.

I get the feeling that I will be shut down trying to tape FOB.  Stealth is not an option with my rig.  How was taping from the section?  I imagine not too good if it was under that overhang.  I'm thinking about swapping the 2nd rows for a pair of front row balcony DFC if I can.  Think that's a better idea than taping from the section?

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 06:07:35 PM »
Yes, you can try to swap for the balcony, but if they don't let you tape up there you may not be able to get down to the section.  I think it sounds better at the front of the Loge than under the balcony where they put most taper sections, especially if they push the section against one of the walls.  Its not a bad sounding room, but I'd use hypers if you have them.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline steve-o

• Taperssection Member
  • I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind...
    • SK6
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 07:03:06 PM »
Anyone here have experience taping at the Tower Theater in Philly?  I'll be there for mraz next friday and want to know if anyone has ever run a stand FOB.  Mraz's people say I can't because of venue policy, but I wanted to double check.  I have 2nd row seats and really don't want to move back to the taper's section.

Dave

Dave,

I taped Damien Rice at the Tower a few months back, and had no problems until halfway through the set.  I got the gear in, up, and was running it for almost an hour before I heard anything.  So it's hit or miss.

Also, I'll be right next to you if you're there.  I have pit seats, 3rd row.  PM me when you get the chance and we can figure something out to get all our "stuff" in.   ;D

Steve

« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 07:04:42 PM by gazdalikemazda »

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 10:16:32 PM »
I recorded WSP at the Tower and if you are in the center Loge section, there is a  ledge infront of some of the first row that if you have a small 1-2 foot stand, would work perfectly.  You can run it from there and not have to worry about the tight space with the seats.
If you dont have a small stand, i suggest bringing some long cables and a clamp.
~Rhys
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 10:44:16 PM »
I will be taping mraz friday so I can let you know what the crowd might be like since it is supposed to be a Jason solo show
audio to be built soon

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 11:50:46 AM »
I taped Panic fob there last April with no problems. We handheld for about two songs then put the stand up head high. Put some speaker cloth over the mics and we were good to go.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 01:27:10 PM »
are the stacks on the floor or are they elevated?

+T to everyone in this thread for their help
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 01:29:00 PM by thoman8r »
- Dwight Schrute

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 01:29:48 PM »
  And for Portland there wasn't any taper tickets so who knows on that show either(picked up front row of the box seats just to be safe).

FYI - you have to get taper tickets directly from Mraz's management.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline steve-o

• Taperssection Member
  • I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind...
    • SK6
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »
  And for Portland there wasn't any taper tickets so who knows on that show either(picked up front row of the box seats just to be safe).

So my seats do me no good for taping the show?

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 03:46:50 PM »

Hmm, oh really?  I thought they'd have put them up through Musictoday like they did for the Seattle show if available.   I guess I'll try to get in contact with management and/or venue to double check.   For now Ryan(olyrc) and I were planning to take over a box section(which is the first row of the balcony) and create our own little taping section.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 04:22:53 PM »

You don't have too, it is only if you want to tape and didn't get a chance to get a ticket.  They want the "large rigs" to be in the taper section but if you have a better seat they don't really care
audio to be built soon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com