Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

Sony "L-series" (NP-F) batteries

<< < (2/4) > >>

jerryfreak:
some anecdotals summarized here with links, will update as i proceed

unless otherwise noted, runtimes are time to 7.0V cutoff voltage on zoom F6, 6 channels using phantom power

dracast 2200 mAH (same as voltronic's)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NHM4CL
2h15m 6-ch phantom
(4h40m 2-ch phantom)

"D&F" 4400 mAh
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M69B4XQ
9h30m, wall charger didnt work out of the box

perks:
I bought my MixPre-3 used and the package it came with included the MX-L mount, 2 Kastar 7.4v/8700mAh batteries, and a Kastar smart charger. So far I've only used the L batteries a few times primarily because I just don't like the design of the sled. It doesn't stand the MP-3 up in my bag without constantly tipping over on its side and it adds a lot of weight in that relatively small package. The few times I have run the L-mount battery I've easily gotten 5+ hours running 1 pair of Schoeps with 48V phantom power.

Once I got a right angle USB-C cable I was much better able to get the recorder and battery situated in my bag so that it stands up correctly to be able to read the display and the weight is distributed better so the bag isn't constantly tipping over.

jerryfreak:
interesting. trying to envision how that made it tip over, i would think with those two big batteries on the bottom, it would form an upside-down "T" shape and be somewhat stable, did you use both batteries simultaneously or one at a time?

perks:
It forms something that looks like an upside down T however the sled is what lies flat on the bottom of the bag and the battery(s) that plug into the sled do not sit flat on the bottom which results in a bottom heavy bag that is wobbly placing all of its weight on the sled and making it very susceptible to tipping over. Using 2 batteries in the sled at least puts equal weight on both sides of the MP but it does not resolve the tipping over instability the batteries create. I'm using a bag that was made to fit the dimensions of the MixPre-3 and the battery sled plus batteries do fit into the bag yet I get a much better fit using the USB-C battery or the 8X AA sled. 

voltronic:

--- Quote from: perks on January 20, 2020, 12:06:52 PM ---It forms something that looks like an upside down T however the sled is what lies flat on the bottom of the bag and the battery(s) that plug into the sled do not sit flat on the bottom which results in a bottom heavy bag that is wobbly placing all of its weight on the sled and making it very susceptible to tipping over. Using 2 batteries in the sled at least puts equal weight on both sides of the MP but it does not resolve the tipping over instability the batteries create. I'm using a bag that was made to fit the dimensions of the MixPre-3 and the battery sled plus batteries do fit into the bag yet I get a much better fit using the USB-C battery or the 8X AA sled.

--- End quote ---

This adapter lets you mound a single battery in the way Sound Devices should have (IMO) designed the unit in the first place.  It's quite expensive for what it is, though.

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/hawk-woods-sd-2/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version