Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

SD788 powering options?

(1/3) > >>

Big Perm:
Any suggestions. Looking at omnicharge 20 or ultimate. Really don’t want to drop $400 on a battery!

taper420:
I would go with an external 18650 enclosure. That's gonna be your most economical solution. A 6-cell enclosure will run about $15 and good cells about $5 each. A charger will be about $10-15. The specs on the 788 say minimum 1 amp supply and 6 X 3400mAh cells at 12v should give you about 6000mAh, which would be about 6 hours of operation (give or take). You could go with a with a dummy L-mount or the hirose connector to a 5.5mmX2.1(or 2.5 depending on model)mm connector. There's another enclosure I know of that takes 8 X 18650s, so would give you a longer run time, but it's around $40.

I have all the hardware I'm talking about bookmarked on Aliexpress but you need to login to view it. I could find links for the same stuff on ebay with a bit of a higher price. As for the 18650 cells, shopping for those can be a hassle. You want to go for name brand but you need a trusted source. I like Panasonic, but LG, Sony, and Samsung make good batteries, too. 3500mAh is about the max you will find from honest vendors. Some no-name brands will claim much higher capacity but those are obvious fakes. The thing to watch out for are the counterfeit name-brand cells. That's why you should find a reputable dealer and don't be suckered in by low prices. You get what you pay for, and that should be about $5 retail for the better name-brand cells.

jerryfreak:
are those protected cells? or unprotected cells with protection circuits in the enclosure? theres quite a difference in price between unprotected and individually protected cells

taper420:
They are unprotected... the protection is in the enclosure.

pohaku:
Talentcell batteries work just fine.  Hit up Ted for an appropriate cable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version