Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: IEM Recording Instructions Needed  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Jerseyboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Regular
IEM Recording Instructions Needed
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
Hey!

I'm your basic stealth recording guy with other rigs for open taping.  I have three Sennheiser receivers & transmitters for lav mics & board patches. I am hoping there are folks here at TS who would start a thread about the IEM recording process.  I have heard of guys sitting outside venues during sound checks searching for the signals needed to do these recordings.  That is about all I know.  So, I throw out the first pitch to hopefully start a fascinating lesson/conversation for others who may want to know how it's done.

Cheers!

Jerseyboy

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: IEM Recording Instructions Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

Please don't.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »

Please don't.

goodcooker isnt being a dick. He'sjust pointing out the commonly understood fact that (in addition to a few other subjects), this isnt discussed in open forums, for obvious reasons
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:15:28 AM »
This thread does not belong here, perhaps it belongs in Ask the Tapers.  Moreover, you are not going to get any answers to your question, because at least for me, and I own a bunch of IEM gear, its something that it super secret learn by the seat of your pants technique.  But if you know anything about radio signals or RF or FM signals, or if you already have a transmitter and antenna and receiver and antenna, then you can easily figure it out on your own. 

No offense, but I'll report this to a moderator to have the thread moved. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 03:14:15 AM »
Don't beat on the new guy too much.

OP, many on here see this as a violation of taping ethics and can jeopardize what we do. I tend to agree. Using things like IEM and taking devices away from the genuinely  hearing impaired, such as myself, is seen as an abuse.

Don't do it. 

Offline Jerseyboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »
This thread does not belong here, perhaps it belongs in Ask the Tapers.  Moreover, you are not going to get any answers to your question, because at least for me, and I own a bunch of IEM gear, its something that it super secret learn by the seat of your pants technique.  But if you know anything about radio signals or RF or FM signals, or if you already have a transmitter and antenna and receiver and antenna, then you can easily figure it out on your own. 

No offense, but I'll report this to a moderator to have the thread moved.

My bad scoot...I thought  I did create this under Ask The Tapers.  So you smack me on the nose then proceed to boast?    As I stated I do have the equipment. I use it for video production work.  I guess I'll need to purchase a cat detector van with all the arials and hang out outside venues and learn by the seat of my pants. 

How would you rate this response?
A - Hello
B - Good Evening
C -.... :yack:

Offline Jerseyboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »

Please don't.

goodcooker isnt being a dick. He'sjust pointing out the commonly understood fact that (in addition to a few other subjects), this isnt discussed in open forums, for obvious reasons

Thanks for the friendly response. I understand. 
If anyone wants to explain then they can always email me.

Peace.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 03:02:17 PM »
Full time touring IEM mixer and kinda retired audience taper here.
Not sure how it used to work in the past, but I would say it is harder to do nowadays, especially stealthily

Most of the bands that are using IEM's are on Shure PSM1000's, which have encrypted transmission and receiving codecs.
Since IEM technology has moved past the exploratory phase and into mission critical broadcast, security, and other fields... it would be very difficult.

An encrypted transmission will show up on a RF scanner but unless your receiver has been "synced" to the accompanying transmitter, you'll hear no audio on the other end.

Furthermore, I am all about taping shows, even stealthily.  There are bands that are anti-taping that are delighted to receive an audience copy of a favorite performance  after many years, even if the taper had to sneak gear into the venue.  However I would be pretty annoyed learning that someone was making recordings of my IEM mixes.. alot of these mixes have talkback mics and click tracks and other things that the artist is not intending for the audience to hear.  Personal requests and chatter with the techs is also something that wasn't meant to be recorded.  Similar to recording a telephone conversation that was thought to be in confidence. 
Also the physical act of getting IEM gear including scanners, etc into a venue in 2020 is way more difficult than it was in 2004.

Any other questions, ptmoore37@gmail.com.  I have experience on both sides of this conversation!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »
Most of the bands that are using IEM's are on Shure PSM1000's, which have encrypted transmission and receiving codecs.
Since IEM technology has moved past the exploratory phase and into mission critical broadcast, security, and other fields... it would be very difficult.

An encrypted transmission will show up on a RF scanner but unless your receiver has been "synced" to the accompanying transmitter, you'll hear no audio on the other end.

Incorrect on this front--PSM1000 is still an analog transmission and no encryption. It does have a special compander for noise reduction, so using a non-Shure receiver on it (such as a scanner) will sound compressed.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »
You're right - I am thinking of the Shure Axient microphones that I also use - those are digital transmission and encrypted.  Would love to see them come out with an Axient IEM system one day

Can't say I've ever tried or had the need to use a non shure receiver with a shure transmitter

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
You're right - I am thinking of the Shure Axient microphones that I also use - those are digital transmission and encrypted.  Would love to see them come out with an Axient IEM system one day

Can't say I've ever tried or had the need to use a non shure receiver with a shure transmitter

The Axient stuff is amazing

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 02:11:19 PM »
Anxient is great. I am hoping that IEM tech doesn't jump over to digital for selfish reasons. In general, I've heard there's industry reluctance due to latency, plus there's already latency occurring with digital mics and digital boards. But we shall see! I think Letrosonic has introduced a digital IEM system.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
there are numerous digital systems by various manufacturers at this point
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com