Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Cassette Transfer: USB vs RCA

(1/4) > >>

BradleyJY15:
I am converting cassette tapes and am not sure the best method.  I have a Marantz PMD-300CP cassette deck.

Option 1: Cassette USB out to computer USB in, using the Marantz EZ Vinyl Tape converter.

Option 2: Cassette RCA out to 1/8" input (channel 5/6) on Sound Devices MixPre-6ii.

I am going to do my own A/B listen test to see if I can hear a difference, but is there a technical advantage to use one vs the other?

It seems like most of it would lie in the AD converter on the cassette deck vs the SD MP6ii.  Only other consideration is I only have a "cheap" RCA to 1/8" cable.

Thanks
Brad

rigpimp:
I use the RCA out on my Nakamichi using a pair of RCA > XLR and use the XLR inputs on my Mixpre.  I'd avoid the USB thing without knowing how it is going from A>D.

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: rigpimp on December 03, 2020, 07:00:34 PM ---I use the RCA out on my Nakamichi using a pair of RCA > XLR and use the XLR inputs on my Mixpre.  I'd avoid the USB thing without knowing how it is going from A>D.

--- End quote ---
this

a known known is always better. its unlikely the USB interface is better than the mixpre, which well exceeds the resolution of the tape deck, and should transfer without hiccups in almost all cases

BradleyJY15:
Thank you for the responses.

Will any "generic" RCA->XLR cable (from B&H) be sufficient?  Or any brand recs?

BradleyJY15:
Also, glad for your recs...I already did some conversions using the RCA->1/8"->MP6 because I did not trust the USB...seems kinda sketch to me...but really never thought about going to XLR. So thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version