Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In a SBD/AUD matrix, what should the mics capture?  (Read 5896 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: In a SBD/AUD matrix, what should the mics capture?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2021, 11:30:35 AM »

Any reason why I should not run my CM4s on stage lip? I’ve read that these mics need a little breathing room away from ceilings. I gather this might also apply to a stage floor as well.

And for running my stage mics to the board, do I need XLR cables long enough to extend to the board, or will the FOH guy have that covered? And if so, how much length would I need to have a high likelihood of reaching the board in a 200ish capacity club?

My go to in smaller clubs is to run mics at the stage lip and recorder back by the board.
(1) Use a couple of empty snake channels to run the signal to the back and record from the relative safety of the FOH. Take your SBD patch back there.
(2) If no empty input channels on the stage snake there is often an empty send from the FOH. Ask the FOH to send your feed to the front and take it from the stage box. Run recorder off to the side.
(3) If no other options I'll just run mics and recorder at the FOH position.

Things I always prepare for in this scenario -

Short desktop stand gets mics high enough to point over the monitors but oriented low.
Plenty of XLR cables and adapters. A pair of TRS > XLRM has saved my bacon more than once.
A kickdown for the FOH engineer. Amazing how many times this has changed someone's tone when I need a favor from them even if they said no thanks.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »
Team Pickle technique is to carry two sets of XLR barrel "Turnarounds" of each gender, male-male and female-female, and have the FoH mix engineer send the board feed up a couple of unused snake input channels by using the adaptors.
Now you have a board feed on stage and you can plug that into a multitrack recorder along with your stage mics, AND you can see the show from up front AND keep an eye on your mic placement!

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2021, 02:34:38 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've seen morst in action. He is good at "adapting".       s/ Even when the promoter is sketchy.         :o    (inside joke) /s
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2021, 04:48:40 PM »
Go team pickle!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com