Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MOTU traveller - how to secure FW connector?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
MOTU traveller - how to secure FW connector?
« on: February 08, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
I should have been warned with all those 6-pole Firewire connectors falling out of the sockets in my external hard drive units, all the time.

But no, I had to get myself a MOTU traveller Mk3.

So it happened on the third outing. Reached for the microphone bag in the rear of the car while the recording was in progress and ever so slightly touched the cable between the MOTU and the notebook computer - connector drops out of socket, software crashes, audio data gone... :-(

Is there any way of securing the 6-pole Firewire plug on the rear of the MOTU traveller without voiding the garantee?

Ralf

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:35:57 PM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MOTU traveller - how to secure FW connector?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
If feel your pain.  This has happened to me a couple times due to spastic dancers at concerts bumping my rig.  >:(

^ you could use a little gaffer's tape to secure the cable to the back of the unit after getting everything plugged in and before turning it on.

Seriously, though, when recording in the field with a laptop/interface rig, rule #1 should be to set up your rig so you will not accidentally mess the connections up during a take.  So, I would consider it a (painful) learning lesson and reconsider how/where you set up the interface/laptop when using it in the field to isolate the connection in the back of the interface from any possibility of being bumped while you're recording.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:52:45 PM by easyjim »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com