Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External Mic Recommendations for Marantz PMD620  (Read 3612 times)

Offline BitRater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Gizmo Planet Electronics Reviews
External Mic Recommendations for Marantz PMD620
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
Hello all,

Thinking about getting a Marantz PMD 620 and wondering what kind of external mic would go well with it. Not looking to spend a lot of money and want to do a little bit of everything with the recorder - ambient, nature, FX, interviews, maybe the odd concert or musical performance.

Is there a good all-around mic that will help me achieve all these aims?

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: External Mic Recommendations for Marantz PMD620
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:19 AM »
Hello all,

Thinking about getting a Marantz PMD 620 and wondering what kind of external mic would go well with it. Not looking to spend a lot of money and want to do a little bit of everything with the recorder - ambient, nature, FX, interviews, maybe the odd concert or musical performance.

Is there a good all-around mic that will help me achieve all these aims?

Handheld stereo / lapel stereo / 2 x mono on stand / 2 x mono stealth?
I think you need to make up your mind about the form factor before you solicit specific models...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:30:11 AM »
You may want to consider buying a modified PMD620 from Oade Brothers if you're going to be recording ambient nature sounds and quieter concerts, the stock unit is pretty noisy.  Otherwise you'll probably need to run an external preamp to get good results for those applications.

And yes, your choice of mics will depend on what you want to do with them.  If you're looking for something small and inexpensive and suitable for stereo music recording, I've been very happy with the results using my Church CA-11 cardioids with the PMD620.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline BitRater

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Gizmo Planet Electronics Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
You may want to consider buying a modified PMD620 from Oade Brothers if you're going to be recording ambient nature sounds and quieter concerts, the stock unit is pretty noisy.  Otherwise you'll probably need to run an external preamp to get good results for those applications.

And yes, your choice of mics will depend on what you want to do with them.  If you're looking for something small and inexpensive and suitable for stereo music recording, I've been very happy with the results using my Church CA-11 cardioids with the PMD620.

I seriously considered going the Oade Brothers route, but three things prevented me from going forward. First, I live in Canada and Oade Brothers will not ship outside the US. Second, there's the exchange rate issue. At current rates, buying a PMD620 from any US retailer will cost roughly 1.5X (after shipping and taxes at the border are applied) what I could buy it for in Canada with taxes/shipping in.

Third, Oade only offers a 90-day warranty on the mods. Marantz will not honour the factory warranty on any units that have been modified, to say nothing of the fact that the warranty is already toast the minute the product is shipped outside the US, again the result of Marantz' warranty policies.

Church Audio mics look like an interesting alternative. Chris (the proprietor of Church Audio) is located within a four-hour drive of my city, so shipping would be super quick and there'd be no exchange issues to contend with.

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »

I seriously considered going the Oade Brothers route, but three things prevented me from going forward. First, I live in Canada and Oade Brothers will not ship outside the US. Second, there's the exchange rate issue. At current rates, buying a PMD620 from any US retailer will cost roughly 1.5X (after shipping and taxes at the border are applied) what I could buy it for in Canada with taxes/shipping in.

Third, Oade only offers a 90-day warranty on the mods. Marantz will not honour the factory warranty on any units that have been modified, to say nothing of the fact that the warranty is already toast the minute the product is shipped outside the US, again the result of Marantz' warranty policies.

Church Audio mics look like an interesting alternative. Chris (the proprietor of Church Audio) is located within a four-hour drive of my city, so shipping would be super quick and there'd be no exchange issues to contend with.

I certainly understand your concerns!  In that case, consider buying a preamp/mic combo from Chris instead. 
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com