Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using DIN - too much low end?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Using DIN - too much low end?
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
I haven't been very happy with a few recordings and each time I was using DIN.  I've had this happen with both Church CA-11 cards and Oktava MK-012 cards.  I ran the Church cards ORTF in the same club, same location and was much happier with the results.  Different band so hard to be certain the mic config was the only difference.  I guess I default to DIN when I don't know the venue which may not be a good thing (or so I think)?

I ran from the back of the room on Friday night (60 ft. from stage - DIN @~7ft, Oktava MK-012 cards).  A less than desirable location, but it was a sold out GA show and not much choice.  The recording has just way too much low end.  The sound was a bit muddy back there, but not as bad as what is on the recording.

Any suggestions?  What is your go to configuration for cards?  I know the correct answer is "it depends" and "location, location, location", but I really am looking to improve my pulls.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Using DIN - too much low end?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
coincident XY will help control the bass.
I usually just run the DIN variations though.

Does an HPF pass help, in post edit?

Yes, using a HPF in post does help some.  I just tend to ruminate over the settings too much - what freq., what steepness, etc.  For this recording, an HPF @ 160 Hz, -6db per octave seems to sound best.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »
Typically the wider the configuration the more low end.  It is also very different from venue to venue. 
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »
160hz is stll a touch high, imo - but it might be what is needed..  I have not recorded a boomy bass pa in a long time though, so take my words with a grain of salt.

IMO, 100-200 Hz is quite often where you get muddiness from rock PA recordings.  Sometimes I find what sounds best to me is to cut frequencies in that range using a graphic EQ, while leaving the sub-100Hz bass intact.  YMMV, and sometimes you need to roll off the lower stuff as well.

Edit: 100 not 150.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:43:23 PM by Will_S »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
Sometimes, not always, being way back in the room and running 90+ degrees means you're literally pointing at the side walls, which can add a lot of indirect sound, and if the room is boomy to begin with, it can make matters worse. I usually narrow the angle at that point, especially once I start to know the room and that it does that. You give up some stereo image, but you get back more of your direct sound (thinking PA example here). I will sometimes even go XY from the back with a narrow angle, giving up all hope of a decent image, but it can still come out better depending on the room, and at least it's not mono (I mean you do get some spaciousness). Also, I know going wider can add to the boom, but sometimes when I need the angle to be more narrow (so I'm not pointed at walls), I then space 'em wider in the nmae of getting some of the image back. Anyway, just a few thoughts...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.348 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com