Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where does sound "come out" of an upright piano  (Read 10802 times)

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Where does sound "come out" of an upright piano
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »

The top lid thing?

Split omins up there?

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Where does sound "come out" of an upright piano
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »
I have seen people mic it from low on the back side of it. don't know if thats the "right" way of doing it.

Offline Mike R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
AE5100
AT3032  --> MixPre-3ii
M-88TG

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
I have seen people mic it from low on the back side of it. don't know if thats the "right" way of doing it.

They are usually against walls. So I vote on not moving the piano :)

I have recorded quite a few uprights in peoples houses (against walls), and it's a real pain to get a good sound out of them in this situation...however spaced omnis would be my choice. But not facing into the lid, you get way too much mechanical noise (of which there is a lot in an upright).

Actually what I prefer to do now after some experimenting (starting point at least) is to place a pair of spaced omnis about 6-12 feet back from and 1/3, 2/3 piano width either side of the performer (about standing head height) and put an NT4 directly over the performers head facing the open lid (with a little clearance so they don't whack themselves), and then find the most pleasing blend of these two mics...the NT4 picks up some nice attack with a very natural sound (from the players perspective) and the omnis give a nice sense of space/stereo spread. I'll also put a touch of reverb on that in post to try to make the room sound a little bigger.

...did I say I hate recording pianos in domestic environments :(

digifish
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:44:19 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
It is not against the wall! in a good way

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:26:43 PM »
GS has pursued this.  Consensus on uprights was get the sound from the back.  Get it away from the wall.  YMMV
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
Sound comes from the back (the back exposed area on the back is called the soundboard)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
..Consensus on uprights was get the sound from the back.  Get it away from the wall.  YMMV
Sound comes from the back (the back exposed area on the back is called the soundboard)

The back of an upright = the bottom of a 'regular' piano. 
Agreed on moving it away from the wall and on most domestic sized rooms sucking. If perchance the domestic room is way out in the woods where it's quiet enough, open all the windows and doors.  That worked for me once to 'improve' a mediocre room.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »

The back of an upright = the bottom of a 'regular' piano. 
Agreed on moving it away from the wall and on most domestic sized rooms sucking. If perchance the domestic room is way out in the woods where it's quiet enough, open all the windows and doors.  That worked for me once to 'improve' a mediocre room.

About the soundboard, you know manufacturers don't help themselves by making the soundboards quite ugly and looking like unfinished stud-walls,

....so the typical response from customer is to hide that ugly side by butting it up against a wall :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Good point. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a finished back on an upright.  I wonder why.  Some nice wooden louvers or something would work well.

I never recorded it, but I was frequently around an old upright tack piano years ago.  The mechanical noise out the raised top just added an additional quality to to the bright 'tack' sound when the pedal was engaged.  It was almost like walking through the saloon doors with dust on your spurs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »

I went to a recording workshop, where we tried a lot of techniques.  I personally liked the sound that came out of the top best, but it's a matter of taste...

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
depends on the upright.  The sound board is the back so positioning mics low along the back sound nice in a large room.  The top does introduce mechanism noise but if it is an upright grand you can get a great sound there and be far enough away from the hammers.  If it is against the wall in a smaller room I would mic the room and not the instrument.  walk around while the artist is playing and find the sweet spot.  It will be defined by the room so there is no cut and dry answer to where it will be.  could be 5 feet back at head height.  Could be off to the side at the other end of the room.  You never know.  Too many variables.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »

I went to a recording workshop, where we tried a lot of techniques.  I personally liked the sound that came out of the top best, but it's a matter of taste...

--Michael

Thanks for the pics. You certainly get a nice sharp attack hovering over an open lid, but I am surprised you didn't get too much mechanical noise?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline boojum

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
In the discussion I have seen elsewhere on the upright, the problem of mechanism sound is the downside of recording out of the top.  Maybe two on the top and two on the back, at the sweet spot back there?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

--Michael

Thanks for the pics. You certainly get a nice sharp attack hovering over an open lid, but I am surprised you didn't get too much mechanical noise?

digifish

It's been a over a year since I took that workshop, but I don't remember the mechanical noise being a big problem.  Then again, we experimented with a crap ton of mics and positions and it is feasible that I could have missed it (newbie).  I remember the open lid being more "clean/crisp", while the outside was "warmer"...as a you would probably expect.  I suspect the player/style has something to do with the result, too.  The song we recorded was something classical, soft, and smooth.  I bet a ragtime song might have a bit more mechanical noise....

I do remember getting great results with those Coles Ribbon Mics in the pics on a lot of instruments on that studio.  I can't seem to afford them...

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com