Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Config/pattern recommendations for LD mics?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Config/pattern recommendations for LD mics?
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:20:58 AM »
If this has been addressed somewhere else on the site, my apologies and please point me in the proper direction. 

I'm planning on recording a show in a few weeks using a borrowed pair of AKG C414 B-XLS along with a pair of SD cards just for shits and giggles, comparison, etc.  The venue is on the larger side, boxy and doesn't have the greatest sound in the world depending on where you're located.  I plan on setting up the 414's in a coincident array but not sure if I want to set the polar patterns to figure-8 and run Blumlein or set them as cards in X-Y.  Wondering if anyone has real-world experience, suggestions or recommendations as to what polar pattern or configuration to use.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Config/pattern recommendations for LD mics?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »
General review of options:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,17020.0.html

My opinion:
From running (coincident) LDs with those options, I can say that in a room where the sound isn't sterling, especially one where the reflections you hear are generally detrimental, I recommend the cards over the 8s. Maybe look at midside, but between the cards and 8s, it's cards for me in that position. Best of luck.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
no brainer. x/y hypercardiods
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:48 PM »
get as close and centered as possible and run Blumlein
I know I will get flamed for this...
but I have never really liked coincident on LD or SD in cardioid or hyper

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:06 AM »
get as close and centered as possible and run Blumlein
I know I will get flamed for this...
but I have never really liked coincident on LD or SD in cardioid or hyper

you say tomayto, I say tomahto.  :P
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:40:45 AM »
Yep, I'd definitely skip the Blumlein idea.  Also xy hyper can leave a big hole in the middle of the recording if you're too close to the PA.  Best bet is a PAS hyper (where PAS = Point at Stacks, and is generally somewhere between AB and DIN, close to 70 degrees).

Here's an example of PAS hyper 414s in one of the shittiest sounding rooms in the universe:
http://www.archive.org/details/ween2008-07-19.akg414.flac16
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »
Thank you all very much for weighing in.  The responses have definitely given me some food for thought.  I really wanted to go Blumlein for the spaciousness, but I think my placement will be much less than optimal and at the whim of the venue.  I'm gonna have to suss out the situation when I get there, but I believe it will be somewhere in the X-Y card/PAS hyper realm (thanks for the link, deanlambrecht).  The show's tonight, so I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks again, folks.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
Sorry for the delay in posting my results.  In a nutshell, got to the venue and was told that since the show was sold-out, stands wouldn't be allowed.  Scrambled to the second floor, managed to secure a spot right behind the soundboard and clamped to the rail.  Having no stand, I couldn't fly 4 mics as I wanted so I stuck with the pair of AKG 414's.  At first I tried the hypercard pattern and pointed at the stacks in a modified A-B/DIN config but, being chest high, the rear lobe was picking up WAY too much chatter.  Switched to regular card pattern and that cleaned things up considerably.

Next to the room you recorded in, deanlambrecht, this venue has to be the second shittiest sounding depending on where you're standing.  It's a big cavern that can be notoriously boomy.  Nonetheless, I'm pretty happy with the recordings, no doubt to being behind the soundboard.  If anyone's interested in hearing the results...

The Black Keys: http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=630
Lucero: http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=650
Heartless Bastards: http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=656

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:43:25 AM »
Thanks, FCB!!!  Can't wait to check out that Heartless Bastards set!  How did it rate?
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 10:00:03 PM »
Truth be told, the whole show was outstanding and the yardstick by which I will judge all others for some time.  Heartless Bastards were fantastic but their set was far too short.  I've been a Black Keys fan for years so they can virtually do no wrong in my eyes.  Lucero was the standout for me as I hadn't heard so much as a lick from them before I saw their set that night and I was really impressed.  Suffice to say, I will see all these bands in a heartbeat again.  But don't take my word for it; download and listen to them yourself.  ;D

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
Truth be told, the whole show was outstanding and the yardstick by which I will judge all others for some time.  Heartless Bastards were fantastic but their set was far too short.  I've been a Black Keys fan for years so they can virtually do no wrong in my eyes.  Lucero was the standout for me as I hadn't heard so much as a lick from them before I saw their set that night and I was really impressed.  Suffice to say, I will see all these bands in a heartbeat again.  But don't take my word for it; download and listen to them yourself.  ;D

Thanks again.  I've not seen the Bastards live but am really hoping for an opportunity to do so, soon!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com